The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default spin-off of the how many blankets thread

well, i started to reply and realized that i do not know how many blankets i have.
    i have too much stuff. so what do you do with all the things accumulated over the course of many years? i have bits, wraps, blankets, sheets, jackets, vests, helmets, breeches bits, etc... that my daughter once needed or thought she needed when she was showing. that phase of her life is over and it will be awhile before she can pay for her own horse.
    meanwhile, i am riding and taking lessons again. i would like to actually have my own saddle instead of riding in the dressage saddle she used.
    so i would like to have a "garage sale" and clean house. the idea of listing every item on ebay is daunting to me. i thought about boxing up a bunch of stuff and sending it to middleburg tack on consignment.
    any other suggestions? what have you gotten rid of that you wished you hadn't?

We posted a tack sale on craigslist with prices and pictures. Ended up selling most of it before the tack sale. Sold a saddle on USEA 8 website.

What was left over, I sent to consignment.

I wish I hadn't sold a gel pad. The rest, I was glad to get rid of.

Anything and everything that I can give away, I do so.....to Lori at Sunkissed Acres to sell in her thrift-store: Hoof-N-Woof.

It helps me, cuz I get rid of my stuff without having to hold a yard sale (hate those!) and it helps her/the horses/critters because all the sales proceeds from the store go to the rescue. Then it helps the locals get stuff they normally couldn't afford, since Lori's prices are VERY reasonable.

Tis a beautiful thing
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

At least 2 or 3 times a year, one of the local organizations by me has a swap night. I save up my excess stuff and get a table there with some of my barn friends. I usually wind up selling quite a few items there. (Unfortunately, I also wind up buying quite a few things, but that's a different problem entirely. )

I've sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay, but if you have a LOT to sell and not a lot of time to dedicate to that, then it can be a hassle. If you are in a fairly horsey area, you can probably sell a lot of stuff by offering it on Craig's List -- but people may still want pictures and people may want to pick it up (instead of you shipping it). In this case, I would pick a public location and not your home.

I donate a lot to my local therapeutic riding program and to local horse rescues, too. If you don't need cash for this stuff, this is a great thing to do. Many of these places are in dire need of lots of things!

thank you.
    i will donate lots of stuff to a theraputic riding center close by. but they have no use for a great deal of the stuff(bits, show clothes, etc...) we have no consignment that i know of so i was thinking about sending stuff to middleburg tack to consign.

I've sold horse stuff on
    -eBay
    -TackTrader.com
    -the barn bulletin boards
    -local tack swaps

I don't even go to the tack swaps. I mark items w/ my initials & price and send a list w/ my asking and lowest accepted offer prices. I either make a donation to their club or help pay the table in exchange for their time selling my items.

Usually on tacktrader, someone will contact me and make a lump sum offer for a bunch of items. I see that they sell them later on eBay. Fine by me.