The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trace Clip

Hey all,

I'm new here, although I've been lurking for quite some time. I'm curious to know what you think about trace clipping a horse this late in winter. I've only body clipped a horse one other time, and that's pretty much the extent of my clipping experience.

He's very green and will only be doing little schooling shows for now. His first rated show will be in June, and I want to make sure that clipping this late in winter will leave enough time for the coat to grow out evenly for that June show.

He's a wooly mammoth and now that's it's starting to warm up in Charleston (or at least it was) he sweats like crazy. Do you think it's safe to trace clip him now? Also, are you supposed to clip the entire underside of the belly with a trace clip?

My project horse has a trace clip(and yes, his belly is completely clipped). If your horse's hair grows somewhat quickly, I think you'd be fine doing it this late.

I did mine this time last year, and will be doing it this coming Saturday. It's great because he has all his hair during the coldest part of the year, and now that the days are warming up to mid 40's to high 50's, he sweats. Didn't affect his shedding, or the condition of his coat come spring. And yes, hair usually comes off the belly in a full trace.

We normally don't clip until march, but our guys live outside. But I think that would be fine.