The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell us about your eventing facility!

Tell us about your eventing facility and its employment.... Whether you own it or board there, we'd love to hear.... What are the positions? (Trainer, Owner, Bookkeeper, Groom, etc) How many horses are there? How many horses are boarded? How many workers?

Tell us a little about your place!!

I board at a small barn in Southern Pines. There are 8 stalls, plus a couple in a shedrow type of setting outside that have runs. There are three people who lease stalls - my current coach included, who I pay for full board. We have a GIANT jumping field with pretty much fantastic footing year 'round (except now, because of the ice storm). Each horse gets individual turnout because horses getting too attached to each other drives my coach crazy. THis works out great for me as my guy is fairly low in the pecking order and will even willingly share his feed tub with another, including the goat (who is no longer at the barn).

The three who lease the stalls pretty much just do the work - my coach does most of her own horses (her private one, and the four boarders), but everybody sort of pitches in and helps out. Like I said, it's a small, homey barn. The barn is actually owned by Brian Lenehan, and there is a lovely history of the sport of H/J on the walls of the tack room.

What I love best about my place is that we have access to so many things - 10 minute hack to the Walthour Moss Foundation, 15 minute hack the back way to the Hunter Trial Field (great big field with several natural jumps, a double-bank, and hills for conditioning), 5 minute hack to another wonderful jumping field with very bright show jumps, and down the road from a dressage arena. Oh, and we're a 20 min. drive from the Carolina Horse Park. I LOVE THIS BARN!

For full board, I get full care, although my coach believes in keeping them outside as much as possible, which is fine with me. Blanketing is all included in the price. The only things I don't like about the place are lack of storage for tack (I have to keep one saddle in my trailer) and the barn is really cold in the winter, but I bet I'll be loving that come summer. There is also not much grass, as we're in the middle of what seems to be a pine forest, but I just got here in December and I have no idea what the summer will bring in terms of grass. It's an ideal situation for me.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I own a 26-stall eventing and dressage training facility. We board horses and have horses in on full training board with our trainer. We have a Barn Manager (boarders and horses), and Farm Manager (haying, equipment, facility, building and grounds) and several part-time workers who feed, turn-out, muck, turn-in, blanket, etc. We have no grooms (eventers groom their own horses, for the most part) or office staff. The barn manager and I do all the organizing and planning for the horses, and my husband does payroll, taxes, etc. for the employees.

We own 6.5 of the horses. Our trainer owns 2.5 horses (we share ownership of one!). Our barn manager owns one horse and the rest are boarders or training boarders. We have a large outdoor ring (225 by 225 feet), and adjacent schooling cross-country jumps with bank, mound, and water jump, a large indoor (70 ft by 200 ft) with mirrors, sound system and heated viewing area. Indoor is attached to the barn. Many large grass paddocks for individual or paired turnout.

Our website is www.pirouettefarm.com Anything else you want to know?
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

As the duck says, it may not be much, but it's all we got!

20 meter by 40 meter indoor, 150 by 250 sand outdoor, 300 by 400 grass jump field, 1/3 mile sand track with banked corners, 20 stalls in 2 barns, 9 individual sand turn out pens, 50 ft round pen, 5 grass pastures, XC course in pastures with jumps thru prelim, access to trails, indoor has viewing room, and lounge,(not finished yet), tack lockers, 3 Corgis, 5 barn cats, a couple of event horses, lots of pretty nice horses, 2 USEA certified level III instructors, all on 20 irrigated, big deal here, acres.

Our money pit! But after 30 years, it is almost paid for!!! Except for all the stuff we still want to make/fix/replace.

Default in Georgia

i board at a 44 acre farm NW of ATL with great access to I-75 for zipping down or up to events nearby.

6 pastures:
    1. stallion and rotating dressage trainers horses
    2. boarding mares with partial board
    3. boarding geldings with partial board
    4. pasture board mixed pasture
    5. school horses (hunter/jumper trainer)
    6. boarding geldings with partial board

3 paddocks:no grass/dirt footing (currently deep mud) can be used on a first come first serve basis

100 stall metal barn with 9 hot/cold washracks and three board options: (barn currently has about 60 horses)

1.pasture board- full time turn out, you provide/throw hay, no blanketing on/off, no feeding in pasture, they worm bi-monthly at $12/horse. board is $300/mo.

2.partial board- 12x12 matted stall with auto waterer, you buy hay (but have to buy in-house and can choose from fescue $6/bale, timothy 10$/bale, or timothy/alfalfa blend 14$/bale) they throw hay for you twice at day at feeding time and feed your food for you at 8:30 and 4:45. You have to pre-mix any food and supplements. For example, my mare gets in mornings, 3 qts seminole gold chance high effic. plus 1qt. alfalfa pellets, 2 cups maxi-glo rice bran, 1/2 cup black oil sunflower seeds and a scoop of equinyl joint supplement so i have it pre-mixed in buckets inside a trash can outside stall or they won't feed her. You do your own stall each day and can get 2 flat wheelbarrow loads of shavings once per week on a specified day and NO more. horses go outside from 9:00-3:30 when the weather is pretty or it hasn't rained the day before. so pretty much every time it rains, they are in for three days straight- burnin up that hay! no blanket/flymask on/off services and if you want a fan in summer you have to rent it from them for $40/mo. they worm bi-monthly at $12/horse- you cannot worm on your own. partial board is $405/mo.

3. full board- same as partial board except that they clean your stall and your horse only gets turned out when you request in the paddocks, otherwise they are in full time $600/mo.

large covered arena (no lungeing inside though) with jumps if you set them up and take them down when you are finished. footing is clay dust and rock hard and dusty but its flat and even.

2 outside arenas, one with jumps- good footing, one for flatwork/lungeing but footing is basically crappy full time.

round pen- bow a tendon deep footing and nature made water complexes

cross country jumps in all pastures but they dont mow around them in summer and you can't ride in the pastures when the horses are out or when they are in if the grass is wet, and you cant canter EVER in the pastures, which makes for some interesting cross country schooling.

full time dressage trainer on site and hunter/jumper instructor for kids

additional rules: no free lungeing, no lungeing over fences, and no lungeing in the covered even when its raining and they've been in for days...
    trailer parking is $20/mo.

but its 8 minutes from my house and it has a covered arena and good hay so i cant complain!

employment is as follows: owner runs barn with help from his girlfriend and one employee who brings in/turns out and cleans stalls. the two on site trainers pay a percentage of their lesson charges to owner.
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Used to board at the nearby eventing barn (moved to place with slightly larger stalls, larger and heated indoor...). The eventing barn had--

12, 10x12' stalls in the newer barn. Attached 20mx40m indoor arena. Wash stall with hot water. Large tack room. Viewing room. Laundry.

5 or 6 more 10x'12' stalls in smaller barn. Another tack room there.

18, 10x12' overnight stalls for shows.

20mX60m grass dressage arena. 90x160' outdoor area with lights. 30 acre cross country course with banks, water complex, etc. 5 acre starter xc field.

50' outdoor round pen. Pastures for turnout...board was very reasonable. It's gone up but is still only like $310 (live in a small town!) for full board. Place is owned and maintained by a family who lives on the property.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

How many employees versus how many horses? How many stall muckers? Etc?

I have a 40 acre eventing/dressage, but primarily eventing barn in central Indiana.
    Amenities: 106 stalls 10 x 12 stalls, with a few 12 x 20 & a few 12 x 14. One side of one aisle opens out onto runs that are shared per two stalls. I use 23 of the stalls for my boarding operation, the rest are empty except for shows, clinics, and other functions.

--Two Indoor arenas, one 60 x 150, one 60 x 130. Both have observation rooms

--one outdoor that is allweather footing (other than it is currently frozen) 120 x 200

--1/3 mile turf galloping track

--indoor bullpen 50 ft square

--cross country courses of step over-Training, starting on some Prelim stuff now

--enough (colorful) show jumps to make roughly two courses

--2nd outdoor of full dressage court being made this spring

--I have multiple turnouts, most with Nelson Waters & run in shelters. In the winter round bales are set on stone pads. Turn out is in like groups of 3-5 horses. Horses go out every day (unless icy or really wet) in the winter and over night in the summer.

--I'll do fly masks & feed bagged supplements, but I do not do blanket changes. I will pull them off it the temp goes up dramatically during the day.

--Trailer parking

--multiple offices

--two washstalls with warm water

--bathroom with shower

--multiple tack rooms

--Small kitchen area

--storage area where I store the years worth of hay (both rounds and squares), bedding, and the spreader. This allows me peace of mind in the winter when bedding/hay gets scarce!

--I live on the premises

--I have 6 schoolling shows per year, dressage classes, combined tests, event derbies & hunter pace.

--I have 2 schooling HT's per year, Green as Grass through Training.

--I have great clnicians in throughout the year.

I have a couple that comes in and cleans my stalls--I never see them they come really early & are gone by 6:30 AM. They are a godsend--extremely reliable, notice if anything is off with any of the horses,etc. They feed for me when I go out of town.

I have a boy that works a few hours a week, scrubbing buckets, raking the arena, etc.

I have a farmer that helps me out with fence repairs, any water line issues, or anything I can't handle. Again, a god send! Everyone should be so lucky to have a neighbor like John.

The rest I do myself--farm chores: mowing, feeding, maintenance, book keeping, ordering, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I have a 40 acre eventing/dressage, but primarily eventing barn in central Indiana.
    Amenities: 106 stalls 10 x 12 stalls, with a few 12 x 20 & a few 12 x 14. One side of one aisle opens out onto runs that are shared per two stalls. I use 23 of the stalls for my boarding operation, the rest are empty except for shows, clinics, and other functions.

--Two Indoor arenas, one 60 x 150, one 60 x 130. Both have observation rooms

--one outdoor that is allweather footing (other than it is currently frozen) 120 x 200

--1/3 mile turf galloping track

--indoor bullpen 50 ft square

--cross country courses of step over-Training, starting on some Prelim stuff now

--enough (colorful) show jumps to make roughly two courses

--2nd outdoor of full dressage court being made this spring

--I have multiple turnouts, most with Nelson Waters & run in shelters. In the winter round bales are set on stone pads. Turn out is in like groups of 3-5 horses. Horses go out every day (unless icy or really wet) in the winter and over night in the summer.

--I'll do fly masks & feed bagged supplements, but I do not do blanket changes. I will pull them off it the temp goes up dramatically during the day.

--Trailer parking

--multiple offices

--two washstalls with warm water

--bathroom with shower

--multiple tack rooms

--Small kitchen area

--storage area where I store the years worth of hay (both rounds and squares), bedding, and the spreader. This allows me peace of mind in the winter when bedding/hay gets scarce!

--I live on the premises

--I have 6 schoolling shows per year, dressage classes, combined tests, event derbies & hunter pace.

--I have 2 schooling HT's per year, Green as Grass through Training.

--I have great clnicians in throughout the year.

I have a couple that comes in and cleans my stalls--I never see them they come really early & are gone by 6:30 AM. They are a godsend--extremely reliable, notice if anything is off with any of the horses,etc. They feed for me when I go out of town.

I have a boy that works a few hours a week, scrubbing buckets, raking the arena, etc.

I have a farmer that helps me out with fence repairs, any water line issues, or anything I can't handle. Again, a god send! Everyone should be so lucky to have a neighbor like John.

The rest I do myself--farm chores: mowing, feeding, maintenance, book keeping, ordering, etc.

Your farm sounds amazing!!! I can't wait to visit this summer for your clinic and if you ever need a working student, I am a great slave especially for great facilities!!!
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

We have 63 acres in Northern Sonoma County. We have a 10-stall center aisle barn,with 12 x 12 matted stalls with automatic waterers, a tack room, and a wash stall with hot and cold. We have a feed room, and hay storage area as well. There is an additional large shed/building used as a boarders tack room. We have a an outdoor ring (approximately 100 x 80) with all weather footing, fenced with mirrors. Around here, all weather translates in to, a little dusty in the summer, but we can ride on it all winter--it drains amazing, even in the recent dumps of rain we've had, we're riding with in a few hours of a break in the rain.

I'm a strong believer that horses are not meant to live their lives in little boxes, devoid of company, so we use the barn very little. I have three, 3-ish acre turnouts for horses that need to be in a stall part of the day for one reason or another (either skinny and need extra food, or fat and need some starvation time, LOL, or they are horses who have been stall kept for so long they have forgotten how to be horses and need to transition back in to equine society), and then I have three 10-15 acre turnouts, divided by gender, and then the rest of the property is one large turnout and hacking area. My property is hilly, varying from slightly rolling to steep, and the turnouts vary as well. I also have a small (1/2 acre) paddock for rehabs, mares who have just foaled, and stallions when I have them. Most of my fencing is 6 foot top rail non-climb. I have one turnout in electrical tape, and the rehab paddock is 3 board. All but two of the large turnouts have run-ins, the two that don't, don't need them due to natural shelters in those fields. I turnout in all weather. They are horses, not poodles. It simply doesn't get cold or dangerous enough here to warrant leaving them in.

We don't have a xc schooling course, but a large segment of our property is hackable, and includes things like banks, stream crossings, ditches, swales, and logs to hop over. We have also got a section of hill designated for conditioning work, and we work the footing on it a bit in the spring and summer.

I have a wonderful farm manager, who does all the chores, and looks after things while we are away, she also does some of the repairs and groundskeeping. Mr. PF does the rest of the groundskeeping. I do all the office stuff, though I do have help with the accounting. We usually try to have a working student, who also functions as a groom, but when we don't have one, such as now, we do our own grooming.

Mr. PF and I live on site, and when we have a WS there is housing on site available as well. My farm manager lives 4 miles down the road.

Pics are below!
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Default Pascova Farm in Athens, GA

We have an eventing barn in Athens, GA - home of University of GA. We accept all disciplines, but most of our boarders are eventers - and we are eventers and foxhunters. The farm sits on 80 acres with a 9 stall barn and plus 6 pasture boarders. We have excellent turnout - we are big on having green grass year-round, so we rotate, overseed and fertilize to ensure. Our fencing is 4 board with some horse wire (woven wire with a top board) in less visible areas. We have a large lighted arena with a full stadium course, and one end has dressage letters and is kept clear of jumps. We have a second stadium course in a field, along with a cross country course (Ann Haller is currently helping us fill-in and complete the course with ditches, trakehner and drop). We also have a great flat field for timing gallops (about 1/2 mile around) and lots of good hills for conditioning. Our barn was built 4 years ago and has matted stalls, fans in each stall, h/c washrack, climate controlled bathroom and tackroom.

My mom and I do all of the management, we have a well-respected Equine Management CPA to assist us with the books, we have one reliable barn worker in the morning and one in the afternoon/evening.

We have an excellent trainer, Kelly Barrett Eaton, who has evented through advanced, has her silver and bronze medal from the USDF, and is in the process of being certified as a dressage judge. We also have an instructor who teaches children and adult beginners.

We have a fun group of eventers too!

Default Me, myself, and I (and my folks)

I live on my parent's farm:

3 acers of turn out with 5 acers next door that our neighbor lets us use.

one large lit outdoor arena with great sand.

One area where I can ride among rows of trees (the place was a tree farm) between the main house and the barn.

3 stall barn with my apt attached.

2 competition horses/1 trail horse/1 trail mule/1 medium donkey.

3 barn cats, a corgi, and the akita which is our guard dog.

Next door is a QH H/J facility with an outdoor jumping arena that I can use whenever I like. Flowers, gaits, roll tops--all the good hunter fences.

My mother and I do that horse work and we have the greatest Tommy (everyone needs a Tommy) that does everything you could imagine. Welding, dragging arena, building fences, building jump standards, repairing farm as needed, jump crew, photographer and best of all he can watch a lesson/clinic and regurgitate what he hears so I kind of have my own private eyes to help me out.

I think I'm really fortunate and I don't think I could have it much better right now. : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!