The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Coreen, you hang in there. I don't know if you all remember my previous horse Carlton and all the terrible times I had with him and his pedal ostis that then turned into a severe case of founder, but he is doing very well now. I know how very painful it is to watch Coreen, but hang on, many horses can and do pull through this. I ended up pulling his shoes and taking him to a woman who does a "variation" of the Strasser trim and she put him out 24/7 and worked on his feet daily, and he is doing very well now. He also had sinking and rotation. So don't give up. I will continue to pray for you and Willem. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

SueCoo & the Redhead (a/k/a "Atlanta")
    Life without horses is possible, but pointless......
    SueCoo & the Redhead (a/k/a \"Atlanta\")
    Life without horses is possible, but pointless......
    http://community.webshots.com/user/suecoo100

Willem, my 4 yr old thoroughbred, Mr Slim, has a word to say to you.

Hi there, Willem. My name be Mr Slim, and I is a pure Americano Thoroughbred. I am bred to win the darby someday.
    Though I be just a young boy, my mommy told me I should offer you some helpish. She said we could start a support group.
    Mom says she has been balky (like me to a jump) to tell you on what she calls COTH about me. She says she dont want no one to waste jingles for me. I think in my little thoroughbred brain that that not be a nice thing to say.
    My feeties have been hurting for a while, and when my mom asks me to be "ridden" (not run http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif ) I move weird to show her I hurt. So she took me to some place called "toughs" 2 weeks ago, they put me in a padded stall with a white tag on my halter. I thinked I had died and gone to heaven when I seen everyone there in white, but then I saw mommy. Then made me trot on the pavement, then held up mine leggles and made me trot again. It hurt, but humans are stupid and they didnt stop. Then they shot me with some stuff in mine feeties, and it didnt hurt no more!!
    Then I went to a room with no lights, and they took picturs of mine leggles and feeties. They showith my mommy and she sayed I have "naviculary" and my coffin is chipping and bruised. She said I have no soul, but I think that not be very nice. These stupid humans, they just now realized that when I walk I be walking on mine coffin, and when I hit a rock it chipped it. Mine soul, it be flexible. So they gave me some white paste in mine mouth every day and then bringed me back because my feeties hurt much much more and I be laying down and mine fetties they be hot and mine pulse strong. They said mine foot was abscessed and cut holes in mine soul. This it hurt more.
    Mom keeps making me get up so I can soak mine feeties and put them in ice, and she says nice things but cries a lot. The nice dr bellezo, he sayed that I have a small chance I be ok for "pasture life". They told my mommy she canith send me away or keep trying.
    Mommy tells me that she loffs me very much and she cries a lot in mine mane. I wish I could tell her I loff her, and that Im worried she be to do something stupidish because I worry her. I try to get better but it hurts, Willem. she sayish I have lame-o-nitis too and that I could flounder if I eat or something.
    I dont understandish what happened! 3 weeks ago I be jumping a jump and running wit my friends!
    Willem, we can get better together. Our mommies, they been very upsetish about this. I be just a baby,I too young to go away. And you be too special. But willem, if we go away and dont hurt no more, can you teach me to drive when I been old enoughle and let me drinkish that stuff that I be not allowed to drinkish? Daddy Willem, can you help me be better? I helpish you, ok? I loff you Willem. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

So, Willem, get better!
    And Coreene, I know what you are going through. MY poor Slim, I cant even look at him. I feel like a jerk. I just dont get it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif I think ive lost it, im scared.
    But I wont steal your thread. LOVE YOU GUYS! Pull through this!

**When I was born .... the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father .... I'm very sorry. We did everything we could....but he pulled through. (Rodney Dangerfield) ***
    If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago.
    ~George Morris
    Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014

OMG, this thread brought out the tears - never jingled before, but now looks like a good time to start. Wish you both the best and all the strength you'll need!

I love this country!!
    www.foxlairponies.com

Praying for Willem and all the horses in the world who are not feeling well.

Oh Splash, crying here too, for your baby and for Willem, and for you and Coreene, but praying and jingling for all of you.

The last thing Willem or Coreene would want is for you to feel like you're stealing his thread or can't ask for support. The jingles and prayers and loff are enough to go around. If nothing else, Willem has more than enough loff to share with your baby.

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif (that's my version of a smiling through hopeful tears icon)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I hope one of the fighting mothers-in-law gets bitch slapped with a fresh trout."
    Merry, June 24, 2003
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Splash, Willem is alseep right now but there is so much love here that we always have love and jingles for everyone. I cried and cried when I read your post - if you want to email me or PT me, please do so, we both know exactly what we're going through. I will pray as much for your guy as for my own. Dear friend, if it is meant to be then he will be fine. We do all we can and we do what is best for them, but it is not up to us. That is the hardest part to get your hands around I think, that we can do everything in the world and it is not up to us whether they will get better or not. But he can feel from you whether or not you are giving him the love and support he needs, so no matter how had it is you have to treat him with the same love as you always do and tell him he is a good brave boy and how much you love him. If he thinks that part of everything is normal, then he has no reason to think otherwise.

The vet came just after 5 to bring the nitro gel, change Willem's wraps etc. Warned me about getting it on me, to tell someone right away if I did etc. There were two places at the coronet band where abscesses had drained. Willem was very happy when we were done.

But I have to emphasize one thing right now. As of when I left the barn tonight, HE IS NOT SUFFERING. It is not that kind of pain right now. He is very uncomfortable and his feet hurt, and he lays down a lot but only for about two minutes and then gets up. He is still eating, begging for food, flirting, talking etc. He has not stopped eating, his appetite is just as strong as always (obviously he gets this from me). And this is a very good sign.

He will get well or not based upon him and not how much he had sunk. So many people have emailed to share stories of horses who, if you went by the book, should have been put down because of their founder but are still moving right along with no worries and no pain.

I will not let him suffer. I hope and I pray that the nitro will help, I hope that I come to the barn and he looks at me like he did before the sinking started, when he got this look of "WHATEVER," and wanted to know when we were going out. Tried to escape under the rope across the front of the stall (there when the gate is open) the other day, even with owies. I thought he looked a bit worse when I got there tonight. Right now he is moving like he did when it first started. I can't believe it was over four weeks ago.

You know, the twists and turns in your life are so bizzare, especially when it's one after the other. June 1 was one of the coolest nights of my whole life. June 10, when the vet first said "laminitis," was one of the worst nights of my whole life. That was just the start of what has been a long nasty rollercoaster.

I will do whatever it takes for Willem to get better, as long as he is not suffering and it is a realistic fight. Right now he is not suffering and it is realistic. That could all change in the morning when I go back to do this again. I hope not, I hope this will be just a very nasty chapter in this good horse's life and not the final chapter. But if that is what the outcome is meant to be, I will still always feel as if I was granted a gracious gift the day I found my dear Willem.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Wanted to share these links with both Coreene and MCS:

http://www.figuerola-labs.com/laminasaver.htm

and for field trial info:
    http://www.horse-journal.com/newspics/pdfs/9-6-Case.pdf

and no, I'm not a LaminaSaver dealer, but I have seen it work first hand. Good luck to you both. As you can both see, you hve a LOT of folks pulling for your 4 legged friends.

~*~Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.~~ Straight from the horse's mouth ~*~

I don't know what to say, so I will just say to both of you that my jingles and prayers will remain with you, for as long as need be.

---------------------------
    This too, shall pass.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Thanks so very much everyone. Slimmers appreciates the jingles as well.
    I agree, Coreene, its amazing how fast it all happened with Slim. I was jumping him on Saturday, he seemed slightly off so I called it quits, had local vet out, said to try shoes with pads (he was barefoot since we got him), farrier woudlnt put shoes on because his soles were flexible and way too sensitive. That NIGHT Slim was literally crippled lame, took him to Tufts vet, found out all this. Took him home that night, he was worse. Now he is worse than then even. Hard to beleive 10 days ago we were jumping and he was tearing around his pasture.
    At least the vets reassured me that its nothing I did, that these bone problems were there all along and something triggered it. Good, now I know Im not a horse killer. Doesnt make it any easier.
    Im going to keep him going until the vets says "we cant think of anything else to try" or until Slim tells me. Right now, he is still mostly himself, just like Willem. still screams bloody murder when I turn out his "women", still has multiple personalities (the horse will be sweet one second and the next have this big grumpy face on)>
    We bought him last year off the track as a 3 yr old, because my younger sister fell in love with him. Cant think of many TB's a 10 yr old can ride bareback through the shedrow the day after they won a race!
    He's amazing, and I love him. And he better get better because Im going insane.
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    Willem and Slim, get better and stop making your mommies worry!!!!!!!!!!!
    (((HUGS))) to you and Willem.

**When I was born .... the doctor came out to the waiting room and said to my father .... I'm very sorry. We did everything we could....but he pulled through. (Rodney Dangerfield) ***
    If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago.
    ~George Morris
    Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014

Ridge, Long Island,NY, USA ~Cowgirl Clique~

Can someone explain the purpose of the nitro to aid in helping this problem? I'd like to understand what exactly it is that it does.
    I hope Willem & Slim are doing fabulously this morning....extra jingles for the 2 of you guys, and your Moms !!

Eileen

"If the world were truly a rational place. men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

The Long Island Horsemen's Society web page
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/lihs/
    Eileen
    ~~Cowgirl Clique~~ ~~Reriders/AKA Fossils On The Flats Clique~~~

\"Always saddle your own horse.\" Connie Reeves 1901-2003 Member of the Cowgirl Hall Of Fame

Many, many hugs & jingles to all of y'all from Liz and Avery in GA. I'm so teared up I can't write any more. Bless you both, Coreene & MissCapitalSplash.

for ALL of you...and we support you in all of your decision making - you know your horses better than anyone, and I know that your decision will be the right one for YOU and yours....

Hoping this morning brings good news...

Love to you, Coreene and Willem.

xoxo

Lots of love to coreene and willem. hang on coreene, hang on.

Another day another jingle of hope Willem & Coreene..

Jingles to you too MCS and Slim.. Your post had me crying too..Poor boy..

This is an eye opener! Man one day your riding them around, the next its day by day.

My thoughts and prayers are with both of you and your boys.. Stay strong..

I had my own OMGiH when I got there the morning and the wrap that had been on the right foot was in the middle of the stall. And after I got it back on, I could see how much relief those lily pads are giving.

We can't put on styrofoam or any other things yet because it would be too painful to start tapping on those feet yet. As soon as we can, the special pads are ready.

Because I have never looked at the bottom of a hoof with founder, I had the fright of my life when I saw that his feet were flat, and now understand more than ever why the pads go on the frogs and backs of the hooves. I kept having this mental picture of a normal hoof bottom with this thick pad over the frog. Yeah, right. Hell of a way to get an education, but I am like so many who never had an experience with this before and am learning as I go along.

Nitroglycerine increases the blood flow; it's the same as people with heart problems putting a small nitroglycerine tablet under their tongue. It saved the life of the last horse they used it on.

Being Willem, he was driven by his stomach this morning, and as soon as the foot was rewrapped and I put in new feed, he dove into his hay.

Here's the best way to describe his attitude. Picture a horse who from the coronet bands up is totally normal, eating and begging. He lays down to rest, then gets up. Moves around enough to keep it all flowing. Is extremely offended by his feet and looks at you like "Dude, I would SO be there faster but my effing feet, bah, wazzup with that?!"

But when Darya brought Seymour over today right after Willem had the syringe in his mouth, he hobbled right over to go pick a fight, scream and then swallow the meds. He hasn't figured out yet that Seymour, Jake and Bolero come over in the morning for exactly this purpose - to get him to scream and then swallow.

50-50 is still floating around, like when you say something totally wrong or horrid and it comes out of your mouth in a balloon. So the balloon is right there in front of my face the whole time, plus another balloon filled with all the extremely moving and wonderful stories that so many of you have shared here an in PTs and emails, of horses who have pulled through. The ones who didn't make it are in another balloon, a heart-shaped one. That's the balloon we don't want to be in.

And all that just slams around like a pinball machine in my head. Splash and so many of our fellow BBers know exactly what this is like, whether it is founder or colic or EPM or so many of the other nasties that come along, slap you across the face like a trout and you think
    "Here I was, having a nice day and I don't know WHAT the hell happened."

And that's when I remind myself that not only do I have the best care possible for him, but I have the most wonderful people that I am privileged to know through this beloved community pulling for our Willem. Because he's not just mine anymore, he belongs to all of us. Just as Aiden does, just as Mr. Slim does, just as so many of the people and animals we have had a jingle for do.

These updates are catharsis for me, and I apologize to those it may offend by this thread continuing to be on the front page of this BB. Not everyone is a Willem fan - that's fine. We may not all get along all the time, and that's also fine. But please know that for those of us going through things like this, whether it is our horses or our children or our family members, the support we receive from this community is a wonderful thing. It may not be your cup of tea, and I respect that. But do know that there is not a single person who I have ever encountered on this BB, whether they still post here or not, that I would not jingle for in the same situation.

I am holding my arms as wide as possible so that I can hug back all the wonderful, dear people who have given Willem and I so much support, and who are continuing to do so. Thank you for your posts and your PTs and your emails. Bless each and every one of you, know that you are loved. If it is meant to be, then my dear old horse will be with us for a long time still, as will Splash's beloved Mr. Slim. If it is not meant to be, then Willem was better for having known you all, for having met so many of you and for having loved everyone.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

What is it about these wonderful creatures that brings out the best in us all?

I am crying, reading this last post of Coreenes, and thinking about Willem and Slim and just what constitutes A Good Day when nothing in partcular is going wrong..

and what constitutes A Good Day when the world has caved in and one begs for, cries for, pleads for, one tiny ray of hope.

Begging, praying, pleading, jingling, for our friends...
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Coreene and MCS, if I could figure out a way to fed-ex you a hug, I would. When these things happen (I had it happen to me last year, when the Spotted One came down with a whomping case of pneumonia, and only 30% of his lungs were working and the rest abscessed), it hits us in that gushy part in the middle of our stomachs. I'm glad that Willem's personality is still there -- the worst part for me was when my pushy, obnoxious, uninterested in people horse was nuzzling up and leaning on me. Keep us updated if you can: we're hoping and jingling for you. But if you sometimes don't feel like writing for us, that's ok too. We know you've got alot on your plate. We'll be jingling anyway.

Correene and MCS,

My heart goes out to both of you. I went through this 2 years ago with Sophie Moose, and she came out of it 100%. But it was touch and go for a while.

Fortunately, she was under the care of Dr. Ric Redden who literally wrote the book on Flounder and he immediately put her in his special "Lame-o-nitis shoes" which he has patented.

I still have them (they were far too expensive to throw out) and would like to lend them to someone who can use them. They require a vet/farrier who can make a rubber imprint of the bottom of the horse's hoof to put in as an insert (see pictures attached) and a vet who is willing to believe in them.

I have a pair and could get them in an overnight delivery box if either of you have vets who are willing to go this route.

Doc Redden's book on Lame-o-nitis explains WHY these shoes (I call them Sophie's high heeled Nikes) help so much. But I took his explanation, and Doc Redden, on faith so I cannot remember the exact theory behind them. But my faith was rewarded.

They are held on with vet wrap and elasitcon so they can be removed for treatment. They are made to be a generic size, which is why the rubber insert -- to customize them for each horse.

Please email me if you would like me to send them out pronto. Sophie Moose (God Bless Her Soul) would like to help also.

Fingers crossed for you both.

If the picture comes thourgh confusing, I have taken one picture and then superimposed two other views in the upper left and right corners, so all three views can be seen on one attachment..... Hope it works.
    Pam

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I CAN spell, I just can't type and I am too blind to proofread InfoPop's teeny tiny font. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laminitis_shoe_3x_em.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	6293  
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

OMGiH, these shoes they look verrie wunnerful. Mein modder Coreene (I loff her), she haff sended you das email a-bout them.

Mein selve I like der idea von these shoes becose I haff changed mein mind a-bout der Converse All-Stars. I want to haff boots like Gene Simmons in Kiss. I haff beed Gene Simmons on Halloween before und I haff all ways love der shoes like this. Und becose der shoes von Sophie they be schwarz, this it be ein color wot it look so nice on me becose I be so verrie handsome.

Coreene she haff telled me that later on in der day to-day she be coming mit portable clippers und she be buzzing mein whiskers for me. This it be okay, most off der time I like to haff beard aber it haff getted verrie long.

To-day mein selve I haff talked to mein feets a-gain und I haff sayed for day poison wot it be coming out der top in der coronet bands to come out faster. Mannie peoples wot they call it "coronary band," aber I haff all ways thinked that this it be wrong. Mein old books they say coronet band und mein horse modder (her name it be Wiepke), wenn she haff teached me Englisch she haff sayed it beed coronet band. Und she be ein horse alzo.

Mebbe wenn Coreene she come she bring me ein apfel. She bringed them this morgen also. To-day I haff stepped on her hand wenn she beed putting der wrap back on mein hoofe, aber it beed ein aksodent, it did't nott to beed on purpoise. Iffen she didn't nott to haff beed so stupide und putted her hand where I beed putting mein hoofe, this it wouldn't nott to haff happened.

It be verrie hard walking like this becose it be like iffen some boddie they haff putted swimming fins on mein feets. This wot it be how I walk. I don't nott to like it, aber wot can you do? I be taking mannie medicines for mein feets und I hope they get better.

------------------------
    I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.
    ------------------------
    I haff sayed this be fore, I be ein German horse und this it be straight from mein mouth.