The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Imported "Mango Retreiver" Dog Looking for Home! UPDATE- Just flew to her new home!

Imported from the Caribbean, this unique breed of Mango Retrievers (also known as Coconut Retrievers) is unlike any other. Years of cross breeding and darwinism have produced dogs that have been known to look both ways before crossing the street, bounce if hit by a car, refuse to wander far from their home, and sustain on foil mixed with dirt as a diet. If given a few scoops of dog food and some direction in their life, these dogs have been known to flourish and develop into incredibly local, sensible, smart, good-natured, hardy dogs.

"Pinger" is one such dog. Her mother ("Sarah") was owned by a 10 year old boy who approached me looking for help, asking if I could take Sarah into my home when she had her puppies, as "they weren't safe from my father." The young boy's father ran a local dog fighting ring, and yes, puppies were routinely used as bait dogs. So we brought Sarah inside and she had her puppies. She had 7 dwarfs!!!
    Sarah and her 7 dwarfs:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture6-4.png
    Sarah and the 7 dwarfs and Sarah's owner:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture7-3.png
    Puppy's and kids:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture8-2.png
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture9-3.png

Her puppies were handled since birth by kids, women, men, black, white, brown... just about everyone. They were well socialized, friendly, happy pups. Many quickly found homes with students on island, but as finals approached, someone who was going to take 2 female puppies decided not to keep them. I flew the pups back in April 2009. Here we are at a major delay at one airport, keeping the kids busy:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC12848.jpg

Pinger finally reached America, land of unlimited opportunity and dog food:
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC12869.jpg
    Sprocket, the onlooker, is and island mutt imported 8 months earlier, who did the exact same thing upon arrival, so it's a bit of a tradition now.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC12870.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC12873.jpg
    I adopted "Pinger" out to a friend of a friend in May 2009 at 3 months old.

In November 2009, I seized Pinger back from her once wonderful adoptive home. My suspicions said she was beaten pretty well there. She came back to us extremely fearful and with a bad case of separation anxiety. I had just come off an externship with a boarded vet behaviorist, and did some pretty intensive behavior modification (no aversive techniques). Pinger is very food motivated, smart, and loves to work. In only a few weeks she was a completely different dog.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC13871.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC13867.jpg

Pinger is doing fantastic at our farm, but, she's #7 in our dog pack. We have already kept 2 very special Mango Retrievers and they are honestly the best dogs we have ever had. Pinger really deserves a home that has time to continue working with her and can devote more time to her. She lives with inside and outside cats, loves all other dogs, and doesn't bother the horses. Her separation anxiety is gone, but going to a home that knows (or is willing to learn) about no-fuss departures and such would be a requirement.
    She's the perfect size at 35-40 pounds. Big enough not to be stepped on or lost but small enough not to eat you out of house and home.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC13810.jpg
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...e/SDC13809.jpg

The ideal home would be someone who is looking for a dog that will bond strongly with them, without small kids (they are pretty scary creatures), ideally on a farm where she can have a routine. She is used to being kenneled in a barn alone (next to other dogs) or with other dogs. She does have moderate-above moderate energy and will wear herself out as long as she's given ample time and space to play with other dogs. She'd be fantastic for agility, and possibly even for a one-on-one search and rescue combo as she is extremely smart and a very quick learner.

She's spayed, chipped, crate trained, basic obedience, housebroken with a dog door, utd on vaccines, etc, etc. When she comes in at night she goes right to her bed to sleep. She normally doesn't sleep on couches or furniture, and prefers her dog bed. She's non-destructive, does not bark excessively, and adores attention.

She's in Northern Colorado, BUT, I have flown many dogs all over the place and it is a very "do-able" option for the right home. We frequently travel to the east coast to see family and friends, too.
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Feb. 21, 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Default cute!

Oh FP... let me work on my sister.

She needs another dog. Hers looked a lot like Pinger and passed away from cancer a couple of years ago.

Thanks for saving those pups!The thought of someone usingpuppies as bait for fighting dogs...makes me want to cry and puke at the same time.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Your story doesn't surprise me. We lived in the Dutch West Indies for 10 years and many, many dogs are treated like garbage. "Man dogs" are not neutered because they are "man dogs". If the local owner didn't want a puppy/dog, they took them to the remote end of the island and tied them to a tree or bush with wire. It really, really made me start hating the human race.
    The cattle and donkeys weren't treated much better.
    The Caribbean-nice place to visit but you really don't want to live there...

My rescue mutt came from St. Croix originally - he's an oddball with some issues but we love him dearly.

Pinger looks lovely but I don't think my grand old lady dog would take kindly to another youngster right now.

PS Pinger is 11 months old and will be a year at the end of Feb. She isn't perfect, and isn't comfortable in crowds or with lots of new, strange people yet, but she will get there with continued positive reinforcement training.

We've kept 2 caribbean mutts- one I bottle raised from 3 weeks and another rescued at 8 months- and they simply amazing. We imported another pup to Colorado that was given to me after "Dweezle" nearly starved to death at the end of a chain (and was covered in mange). The local kids untied him during my break, when the owner deserted him, and fed him with the food I left them until I returned. The island owners just decided they don't want Pinger's mom, "Sarah" anymore, so she's inside a student's home now (after having her leg pinned after being hit by a car and fracturing it!). Pinger's dad died from being poisoned (very common on island). I adopted several dogs to students, including 5 of Pinger's sister and her only full brother. Pinger's sister I imported with her was left with friends in NJ. "Trooper" was found on the side of the road with a BCS of 1, with hundreds of ticks, a "shattered" pelvis, broken femur, and 2 broken tibias after being "knocked down" by a car 2 weeks prior. The locals begged me to take him. 3 months of rest and one FHO later, he's as good as new and the light of a 7th semester student's life. He'll be moving to Oklahoma soon. "Chomper" was the only remaining puppy- even his mom and sister "Princess"- was tossed into pit bull fights. He had some bite wounds but was a very happy, friendly pup that is also with a 7th semester student and moving to the US soon. So, if anyone wants references about how wonderful island dogs are, we have plenty

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    "Man dogs" are not neutered because they are "man dogs".
    Yup! I took "Dweezle" around and showed all the locals how he acted the afternoon of his neuter. They didn't believe he had just had the procedure done until I showed them the incision! After wards they gladly agreed to let me neuter their dogs. I provided all the locals I knew with flea medications, vaccines, wormers, and food if they agreed to learn and take care of their dog. By the time I left, one local family had decided to keep their dog "Chee Chee" (a chee-chee-waa-waa) in the house at night to stay safe. The kids got new collars for their dogs when they taught the dogs to sit, and a leash when they got over the fear of their own dog and would attempt to walk them! It was a lot of fun teaching the kids, but it always seemed like just a drop in the bucket. I'd really like to keep going back and working with the kids. It all started when they were petrified of my dog, but impressed by his tricks, and I promissed them we could teach THEIR dogs the same tricks!

PS For anyone visiting the caribbean- all of the islands are overwhelmed and where I was, there was no animal shelter or humane society. There are many dogs that are free to any home! Most caribbean islands are rabies free and importing into the US only requires a local health certificate from where you are deporting. There is no qt in the US or hoops to jump through. Just a thought!

sending you a PM!
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Pinger may just be one of the CUTEST puppies I've ever seen! dawglover, if you get her, we COTHers will need pics on a very regular basis!

loved your descriptive post and pics! thanks for the laughs! My rescue cat "Dieter" would climb in the food bin if he could reach it.

Sorry 2 cats in the home and they told me they don't want any dogs chewing up their toys and mucking up their territory!

Default Bless you!

You are an angel to these animals. Thank you for all that you have posted about this youngster and the others. I had no idea that it was even a little uncomplicated to import a dog from the islands. I will keep that in mind and pass it along. Good luck and thank you from all of us dog-lovers...

I might be interested next time you are back east. Wouldn't it be great to arrange a Caribbean vacation whose main purpose is saving dogs! I would love to get involved in that! C'mon, Margaret organize this trip!

Lola,
    I'll send you a pm. Yes, I promise, it is a very good excuse to visit the caribbean

Pinger is STILL looking for a home, she isn't just the right dog for Dawglover's sister
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Feb. 5, 2010 at 11:02 PM.

As I wrote to Margaret privately, if these dogs can be flown into Newark Airport it should be easy for rescue groups to rehome them. There are next to no mixed breed puppies in mid-Atlantic shelters anymore that aren't pit bulls or rotties, which many people don't want as family dogs. Rescues bring puppies up from southern shelters, where they are plentiful, but saving these dogs would be less of a trip for local rescues.

Pinger, her crate, food dispensing toy, and old sock and shirt of ours, and a leash got on a plane yesterday Ohio bound. She's been adopted by a wonderful retired woman with a huge fenced yard on a horse farm. I am so thankful. Thank you to whomever forwarded this ad to her!!!!