The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Rated shows + roached mane=OKAY???

Is it not allowed (or frowned upon) to show a horse with a roached mane? Or, more specifically, a mane-do very similar to a Fjord? Length wise. The horse is NOT a Fjord. I am not worried about unrated shows and schoolie shows...but the rated ones. Can I be penalized? The mane is crazy thick when its grown out and despite training the heck out of it, it will not lay to the right. I am not the best braider, and my trainer will grow very tired of having to braid for me every show...

Thoughts on this? Horse is a jumper. In event training (2 and 3 phase) for next season. Novice.

Thanks!!!

ETA: the horse is a cob.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

If you're just doing the jumpers, you could go in with dreadlocks (for both of you) and a clown suit and not be penalized.

I just had a nasty response I deleted...read your post wrong. Sorry.

Anywho...I would like to bring him to local rated shows on the flat as well, but I am not sure if he would look out of place with the short mane. I havent seen other horses around with roached manes (its actually about 2" long). Another concern is if I am cross country, I'll need that "oh shit" handle for the mane. Horse looks cute as hell with the mane as is...awesome neck.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Is it not allowed (or frowned upon) to show a horse with a roached mane? Or, more specifically, a mane-do very similar to a Fjord? Length wise. The horse is NOT a Fjord. I am not worried about unrated shows and schoolie shows...but the rated ones. Can I be penalized? The mane is crazy thick when its grown out and despite training the heck out of it, it will not lay to the right. I am not the best braider, and my trainer will grow very tired of having to braid for me every show...

Thoughts on this? Horse is a jumper. In event training (2 and 3 phase) for next season. Novice.

Thanks!!!

ETA: the horse is a cob.

Yes you will look out of place and many will frown, and could/would be penalized in the hunters. In the jumpers they cannot penalize them for that, it would still be outta the range of normal though

It will be unusual. Perhaps if you roached it close to the skin it would look more traditional - especially if there's a forelock to braid and the beastie is more of the old 'heavy hunter' type...

I would avoid showing with a Trojan horse/Fjord look myself.
    Y'all ain't right!

Please explain what specifically would be the reason behind penalizing a horse with a roached mane? Do you know this from speaking with judges who have stated they penalize for roached manes? Or is it just the kind of talk that is discussed around the water cooler?

If the OP is talking about local level shows I doubt that people will even be braided.

Since it's jumpers it matters even less.

he's not really a hunter, per se. We'll be doing 2 phase and 3 phase. Yes, his forelock will be neatly braided as well as his tail. He's a chunky cob. Nothing refined about him. He's certainly NOT a dressage horse...more a field hunter (as opposed to the clean cut, crisp ring variety).

The local rated shows I've been to...well, I've only seen a few that were braided at all. I still have enough time to allow it to grow out to 4" before New England show season is in full swing. Last year he wore an andalusian style running braid. (his mane was 14" long). I havent shown him yet, and don't want to be "that guy" at a show.

Put in a good round, and no-one will care what his mane looks like.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Please explain what specifically would be the reason behind penalizing a horse with a roached mane? Do you know this from speaking with judges who have stated they penalize for roached manes? Or is it just the kind of talk that is discussed around the water cooler?

If the OP is talking about local level shows I doubt that people will even be braided.

Since it's jumpers it matters even less.
    The OP asked about rated shows, and specifically whether that turnout would be frowned upon. While a roached mane will not be penalized in the jumper ring, it is not the way most people would turn a horse out for a RATED H/J show and thus, yes, she is going to stand out and may feel uncomfortable.

As for flat classes - well, those are for hunters, and in that division, turnout counts. A 2" mane standing straight up is again not illegal... but it isn't dressing for the party, either. Generally if someone is going to spend the $$$ to play at a rated show, they want to at least look the part.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you're going to show with a roached mane, IMO, you should roach it all the way. We had a pony at a barn where I used to work who was a draft cross and had a ridiculously thick mane. We roached hers all the way down, and braided her forelock, and on her chunky build, it looked really, really nice. She did NHHJA and locals and the only comments we ever got were how nice she looked.

Technically, a roached mane is acceptable, per the rule book. It is definitely unusual, but it frankly sounds like ribbons aren't necessarily your goal. I would, however, roach it all the way down, not a Trojan Horse cut.

Another question that might help us respond appropriately--what divisions are you planning to do in Hunterland? If the divisions themselves are unrated, you will have more leeway.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I showed a hunter for several years with a roached mane - he would not stand being braided - tore them out with a hind foot even tried when you were on his back.

I would roach his mane all the way down about 10 days before the show and then clip his bridle path the day before we left for the show. I would then braid his forelock. He did have a great neck and could carry this off well.

Most people never noticed that he was roached as there was some differentiation between the mane and forelock area. Some assumed he was braided on the other side and some saw he was roached. It never hurt our placings in rated hunter divisions or equitation classes.

Back in the 70s Jimmy Williams roached all his hunters one season when braiders started charging more!

So it is done but not that often and should not be considered in your placings if your round justifies placing.

The roached mane is a trend I would like to see come back in style. In the late 70's it was the preferred style for stock horses, particularly for the oh so popular appaloosas. My appy couldn't grow a decent mane and it looked sparse and ratty if not roached. Upkeep was very easy and the horses didn't seem to mind as long as the fly population was under control.

Default Not a good idea.

I think it it would be a bit tacky. Invest in a pulling comb and thin the heck out of it, then you can braid it for the rated shows. Since everyone pays good money for nice perfect braids or does it themselves, how is it going to look when you show up with a shaved mane? It will look like you don't care or are clueless about turn out, an impression I'm sure you don't want to make. Beauty is pain, my dear! Good luck.

If you are training for eventing, why are you planning on showing rated hunters? Just asking. But as far as eventing goes, I roached my Training level eventer's mane one year and never looked back. I kept about 2" of mane and it looked great! Still enough to grab if needed, or you can use a neck strap. I never had any comments but positive ones from eventers and never had any penalization for it at USEA events. I'm a big proponent of roaching.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffa View Post
    The roached mane is a trend I would like to see come back in style. In the late 70's it was the preferred style for stock horses, particularly for the oh so popular appaloosas.
    No it wasn't...maybe at the appaloosa shows, but not open or AQHA in the late 70s. Early 60s, maybe.

Every type of mane can be managed if you know the tricks. I'd find a pro-braider in your local area and ask what he/she thinks.

Roach it. No one will care. On a heavy, cobby type it will look smashing and completely appropriate. There is no place on the judges card for "mane"... Personally I'd roach it right down to the neck.

I think a roached mane on a heavy necked cob is just beautiful and elegant. Agree that if you clip it all the way against the neck about 10 days before the show, it will look very nice so long as the forelock braid is very clean and correct. If the forelock braid is lumpy or fuzzy, it will detract from his appearance. I honestly dont' think it will stand out in a bad way so long as it's a smooth clip job.

Well I showed in the 70s and 80s with a roached mane...judges didn't give a flying crap. Other competitors might, but since they don't have a single say in your placings who gives a crap?

Despite popular opinion...what other riders think or what other trainers think of you or your horse's turnout doesn't matter one bit. And only you can make yourself feel out of place or uncomfortable. Hunters is *only* a popularity/fit in with the crowd discipline according to other riders. As long as your horse's turnout isn't breaking any rules...the judges really don't care. Judges aren't as shallow as the other riders and do not pin lower for a roached mane. Other riders just dust off that old excuse when they've not gotten the ribbons they thought they deserved...they blame it on judges being fashion police or cost of horse/outfit/tack.
    So yes...you can show with a roached mane in hunters or jumpers. (as stated before, you could show in dreads and a clown suit in jumpers, LOL...only the timer is judging you and the timer doesn't care either)
    I wouldn't keep the roach the length of a Fjord's though, or crest it longer in the center...I'd take it down a tad but you don't have to go scalped either. Braid forelock and tail and for a sh*t-grip yoou can leave the last 2" of the mane next to the withers longer and braid a loop in it...like a handle.
    FWIW...if the horse has one of those Thelwell style Shitland pony double thick manes...there's no way on earth you'll ever pull that thin enough for decent braids. Trying would be torture for the horse.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You can try putting a sleezy on him every night it really forces it to lay down. Push the mane over to the correct side and make sure it is lying flat and straight underneath.