The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ulcers

I just treated my horse for ulcers with GastroGard for 28 days. I noticed a huge difference in him undersaddle--much happier!! I am wondering now what sort of preventative measures I should take to help his stomach stay happy. Any particular supplements you have found to help? My trainer mentioned a product called Eqlipse, however, a quick google search came up with nothing. Anybody use/have heard of this product? Any suggestions or ideas appreciated!

Keep it simple. Don't over supplement as it can be hard on their gut. Feed a pro biotic. I use Pur-A-Yeast.

I feed SmartGut.
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=6320

It can get expensive though. Your best prevention is to feed free choice hay, especially with some alfalfa in it.

After a 30 day successful gastroguard treatment, I had a horse that did well on the Neighlox supplement. I also always feed some alfalfa 15-20 minutes before any feed and LOTS of grass turnout (if there isn't lots of grass, LOTS of hay). So great to hear your horse is doing better. Good luck!

1/8 cup slippery elm bark powder daily is helpful -- it's very soothing (order at herbalcom.com). Also, 24/7 access to hay. A friend's ulcery horse has a small mesh hay net set up in his stall so that he can "graze" all the time. Huge help!

I feed UGard for my mare that tends to stress. Made a HUGE difference...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

U7 was reccomended by my vet, it's all natural aloe, slipery elm, vitc and some other things. It's in powder and liquid.

I also give 1/4 tube ulcergard for lessons and trailering etc. Works so far. . .
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Discuss with your vet!

There are a million and 1/2 supplements out there and none of them are regulated as to their ingredients or their claims. The only thing they have to prove to be on the market is that they won't hurt. Therefore the only way to determine if any work, is to try them yourself or go by reputation (i'd talk to lots of people and the vet prior to deciding what to try).

Diet and management will be the biggest things that you can change to make the most difference. There have been studies that indicate that alfalfa hay can help buffer stomach acid and corn oil in the diet can help coat the stomach. Pasture or lots of hay fed frequently and minimal grain are the biggest things. Turnout time is a must.

Eclipse is a relatively new product you can get through your vet. It was created by 2 veterinarians who got sick of the never-ending stream of products out there with no research behind them. It is a liquid that is designed to be fed prior to working your horse (as when the horse moves faster then a walk, this is when the acid splashes above the margo-plicatus (the line between the horses glandular portion of the stomach and the non-glandular portion). The non-glandular portion is not protected from acid as it does not have the glands that provide the mucus layer of protection. I have not personally tried it yet, but the theory behind it and research make it sound like a worthwhile treatment.

After 28 days of Gastrogard (full tube), we did 14 days of 1/2 tube. Then, as regular maintenance, I give him soaked alfalfa cubes + 1 cup aloe vera juice (supposed to be soothing for tummy) @ 15 mins before grain in the a.m. and 12 tums tablets while tacking up before working him. Vet said I could also give something like neighlox before working instead of tums, but he likes the tums as treats. So far, this has worked well. (it's been a month since his treatment).
    My trainer had also recommended eclipse, but I can't find any info. on it either!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

I put our guy on SmartGut at the end of his course of GastroGard. Along with other maintenance-type things, it has kept him healthy and happy for a year now
    It does test though...
    Y'all ain't right!

My mare is on Nutrena SafeChoice as her "grain". She gets 1/4 cup of Aloe Juice morning and night. She gets Ugard Pellets morning and night. She has free choice hay and is out 24/7. I pulled her off of Alfalfa pellets when I had a hard time getting it. Before rides and trailering, she gets an extra serving of Ugard. She is much better under saddle. The difference is night and day.

I never did a course of Gastrogard. I didn't feel the need to. She was only slightly off. This recipe above is perfect for her!

M

I did 1/4 of aloe gel each day with his feed and he was fine. I tried the feed throughs and those worked well too.

I would feed him 1/4 of a tube in "stressful" situations. Trailering, tough lesson, clinics, etc. It seemed to help his ulcers issue.

http://lunatunesfreestyles.com/horse_ulcers.htm

Someone else here posted this on another thread - I thought it was really helpfull.

I have been using Tum-Ease from Theracell EQ and so far, really good results. This is for a horse that has issues with "splashing" when working.

Again, turnout where he could eat constantly would be very beneficial.

After my mare's ranitidine and gastrogard treatment I put her on smartgut- but because it is not USEF legal to show on I had to change to something else, so I decided to try U-Gard. The U-Gard, a little alfalfa, and probiotics has kept my horse fat and happy, with no flare-ups so far. I give her ulcergard/gastrogard before a show or trailering to help prevent the ulcers from returning.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    My mare is on Nutrena SafeChoice as her "grain". She gets 1/4 cup of Aloe Juice morning and night. She gets Ugard Pellets morning and night. She has free choice hay and is out 24/7. I pulled her off of Alfalfa pellets when I had a hard time getting it. Before rides and trailering, she gets an extra serving of Ugard. She is much better under saddle. The difference is night and day.

I never did a course of Gastrogard. I didn't feel the need to. She was only slightly off. This recipe above is perfect for her!

M
    Ya know that saying "ask 3 horse people what works and you'll get 5 answers....here I go ...When my QTR colt was 7 months old he had ulcers and was treated successfully. At that time I began using SafeChoice grain and alfalfa chops added to his beet pulp for his concentrates. He was on free choice hay/pasture and the third horse on my lil place tucked away on a gravel road. I selected SafeChoice because a GF owns a feed store and we had determined this was the product that would have minimal gut impact but provide nutrition for growth. Seems like the lil guy was being fed about 1 pound of Safechoice morning and night so not a whole lot of product.

Last year, almost 2 years to the day that he was treated for ulcers, my colt was used as part of a demo for gastric scoping. He was living the life of a hippie at home. IOW, no stress. Guess what, he had one medium-size ulcer! We were all gobsmocked. The high milage, live on the horse show road QTR horses were ulcer free.

I don't know if this is going to be a lifelong problem with him. He is getting shipped out to a trainer in one month and I will send him out with Ulcergard to be used as a preventative for the first week. Then we'll watch his attitude in training to see if he backslides.

Anyway, Safechoice may help, probably won't hurt but most of all they still can develop an ulcer even while on that product exclusively- much to my chagrin.

My weanling that developed ulcers (scoped) went on to two months of GG (1/3 tube a day per his weight) for two months. He had a scope after the first month and was not ulcer free. A third scope confirmed him to be healed and we have noticed he seems fine behaviourly and he looks well and frisky. But it took the three scopes - and I'll probably give him another one eventually to make sure.

His iron was down - per blood test - so he is on Vi-Sorbin daily.

I begged my vet to suggest an ulcer preventative, and she felt he did not need one except management tweaks. So I give him aloe vera ... to please me.

Default What tests?

Hi. Not to hijack, but does anyone know what it is in SmartGut that is a no-no according to USEF?

I agree with the hay being available 24/7 if there is no grazing. I also have found that a handful of shredded, raw cabbage a day helps my guy better than aloe or slippery elm. Its cheaper, too!
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Cabbage? I haven't heard of that before. What makes cabbage special? Is it the same ingredient that helps dry up milk when lactating? (I can't remember what it is that does that?)

My vote is for Neigh-lox too!!!! My mare has had ulcers for quite a while, and I don't have the money for the real expensive ones. I had her on U7 and I think it worked well, took her off of it and she was fine for a couple years (she's a picky eater d/t the ulcers so I was trying to remove reasons for her to not eat her grain). I put her on Neigh-lox this past summer and she really started to pick up weight and is often eating better. It's not horribly expensive, but IT WORKS!! FWIW, even though we try to give her as much hay and turnout as she wants, my mare really doesn't eat much of her hay and will often just laze around in the field rather than grazing. It's something I'm still trying to figure out, but after being on the Niegh-lox a couple weeks, she was cleaning up her hay more often.
    Last edited by MDHorseGirl; Feb. 3, 2010 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Add more info =)