The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stirrup Leathers, that Last!!!

I am looking for new stirrup leathers because the ones I have, the leather is deteriorating.
    Right now I have these: http://www.beval.com/Products/Italia...s/2505900.aspx
    and they do not last!! I have had two pairs in about 6 months. I ride a lot but I think they should last considering how much they were! I love them because they are beautiful and match my saddle perfectly, but I need ones that are stronger.

What leathers are pretty, durable and would match a Beval Butet?

Amerigo. Nice leathers and they hold up really well.

Don't know how the color is but I have Antares leathers on two saddles. They have worn very well.

I am happy with the Nunn Finer lined ones I got from legacy tack (recommended by COTHers). They have several different colors. I had to wait a little while to get mine, because I picked a color that wasn't in stock. But they were worth the wait!

My County stirrup leathers are holding up very well!

Not to hijack, but who has opinions on the riveted (like this) vs regular stitched buckle?

I couldn't particularly remember seeing riveted ones back in the stone age when I last purchased leathers, but I saw a lot of them when shopping for someone else recently.

It seems like a good idea, but I'd rather hear it from people that have them.

Quote Originally Posted by asanders View Post
    Not to hijack, but who has opinions on the riveted (like this) vs regular stitched buckle?

It seems like a good idea, but I'd rather hear it from people that have them.
    I had really old corbette leathers that lasted for a few years until the stitching wore, and to replace them I got some "nicer" riveted ones, so I'm interested in seeing how long these things last.

Thanks guys! I saw a good review for the bates leathers (the ones mentioned above with the riveted buckle) has any one tried them? I think the are really pretty and the color is great

Sorry I hate the bates leathers. They stretched really bad on me (one moreso than the other even though I swap sides everytime I clean my saddle).
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Don't buy calfskin ones, because all the calfskin leathers ive seen have fallen apart pretty quickly. they stretch a lot, too. I have courbette leathers. I don't normally like their products, but the pair i have does not feel like the weird leather they use on their saddles, and the leathers are super durable. they oiled up very nicely to match my saddle. they are clean, simple, attractive. have had them for several years so far and I expect that they will last many more.

also, i know people think you have to have calfskin leathers on a calfskin saddle, but I personally think it's BS. I have a calfskin devoucoux, so we're talking about the same price range as a butet, and theyre both high quality calfskin. i have never used calfskin leathers on my saddle, and my saddle is ten years old. There are no scratches. I am pretty sure you can't avoid that general darkening in the stirrup leather area on the flap, but your leg is completely covering all of it anyway. the area on my saddle is hardly any darker than the rest of the flap. i would think that butet is just saying that you need calfskin leathers so you can either buy bevals fancy calfskin ones or their own if they make their own. kind of like how saddle companies make their own soap and say NOTHING else will do!

but frankly, the $1.25 bar of castile soap and a bit of glycerine for conditioning works VERY well for my devoucoux. i am not spending $30 on a bottle of devoucoux soap, and i am not going to spend a ton of money on devoucoux leathers because it's not necessary.
    Last edited by superpony123; Jan. 30, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I have a Butet as well (LOVE IT) and my understanding was that I needed calfskin leathers on the calfskin flaps, otherwise I would be risking a lot of scratching

I have Amerigo lined calfskin leathers that match great and have held up well for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by justagreen View Post
    I have a Butet as well (LOVE IT) and my understanding was that I needed calfskin leathers on the calfskin flaps, otherwise I would be risking a lot of scratching

I have Amerigo lined calfskin leathers that match great and have held up well for 3 years.
    Do the amerigo ones darken? My Butet is older and is a dark mahogany color

The Amerigo leathers have darkened from when I got them. They are still [I]very[I] slightly lighter then the flaps, but not enough to matter

I like my Prestige leathers. Other then streaching a bit they have no wear at all on them. They are 3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by neigh.neigh View Post
    I am looking for new stirrup leathers because the ones I have, the leather is deteriorating.
    Right now I have these: http://www.beval.com/Products/Italia...s/2505900.aspx
    and they do not last!! I have had two pairs in about 6 months. I ride a lot but I think they should last considering how much they were! I love them because they are beautiful and match my saddle perfectly, but I need ones that are stronger.

What leathers are pretty, durable and would match a Beval Butet?
    omg, only 6 MONTHS? That's crazy.. I've had mine for 12 YEARS and I only cleaned them once in a while- they're still in great shape. They're only Courbette's, nothing fancy!

My Prestige lined leathers are 8 years old and still kicking.

I third Courbette. Mine are 6 years old and have seen a good bit of use. They still look new.

These leathers hold up very well (I've had mine for over 5 years), have 1/2 holes, and look very nice. They are lined with nylon so they won't stretch. The havana colored ones should match a dark saddle.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...ers_p/0142.htm

The 1" ones also have a medium brown if that works better.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...%20%28b%29.htm

Although I hate their saddles, HDR has some really nice leathers. I've had them for about 8 months now and they show no signs of wear and they're beautifully soft.