The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Clippers and Vacuums

I'm going to be doing just a strip clip on a couple horses and was wondering what clippers you would recommend. I've only ever clipped muzzles, ears, bridle paths, and white legs. So I've never needed real heavy duty clippers. So any suggestions and preferably not super expensive clippers would be fantastic. I've looked, but have no idea what I need exactly and don't want to end up buying the wrong kind and having it croak mid-clip.

My other question is if anyone has a horse vacuum and what kind they use. I was looking at the double k challengair 2000, but I can't find any reviews on it. My horse is pretty tolerant, I just think a vacuum would make getting the dirt from under hair a heck of a lot easier. I'm sick of currying and brushing the dirt off of her to just have it cling right back on her.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Because I am allergic to horses...found that out after 40 some years with horses, I have used a vacuum for years.

I did not purchase the expensive machines you see in the horse catalogs.

I bought from Lowes a wet dry vac, an upholstery brush, an extra length of hose and the original is still working every day.

Isn't that extremely loud? My horse is pretty tolerant, but I think that would definately scare the crap outta her. How did you desenitize your horses to it?

I also use the $50 shop vac- instead of the over priced horse ones.
    The noise is about the same, you acclimate the same as you would for a horse vac. Usually if they clip the vac fine.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmare View Post
    Isn't that extremely loud? My horse is pretty tolerant, but I think that would definately scare the crap outta her. How did you desenitize your horses to it?
    Some horses will complain if you get past the throat latch, but most will let you put a brush attachment on their jaws.

Start on the saddle area, work the rib cage both sides and by the time you have done that the horse will accept it everywhere.

CSSJR

Ditto on the shopvac. My Electrogroom was going to cost over $100 to repair so I bought a shopvac and it works just as well.

Vacs are GREAT! I have heard more than a few stories of people using shop vacs with success. One of our clients pooled all our clients together and bought the barn an Electrogroom this winter and it has been wonderful! Unfortunately, my poor horse, who had been fine with it, got "attacked" by it a few weeks ago (bumped into it when he was trying to evade the teeth of a naughty pony and it fell into him. Thankfully, other than pulling a shoe in his panic, he didn't get hurt!) and hasn't been comfortable with it since. I'm hoping he and I can have a talk about it and he'll get over it.

As for clippers, if you are just doing a very minimal clip, you can probably get by with most smaller clippers and don't necessarily need a big set of body clippers. Put new blades on them and keep them clean and well lubed while you do the job. One of our clients did an entire body clip on her horse (in two nights...started as a trace clip and decided she'd do a real clip instead) with her pretty small set of Wahls or Osters. They didn't even get hot! A few years ago, our big clippers broke down on a client early on in a clip pre-three day event. She finished with battery powered Laube!!! THAT was an impressive job (but, honestly, they were never quite as good). OR, you can borrow a pair of real body clippers. I never mind loaning mine out as long as the person using them uses their own blades and cleans them up well.

I've been on the lookout for a used Rapid Groom, same company that makes the Electro groom. They are hard to find, but I'd prefer that over a shopvac.

If you're not doing the entire horse, I'd recommend these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=726609517 (Wahl Silver Moser Arco). I have them, and they glide through the hair like a hot knife through butter. I've fully body clipped two and a half horses with the same blades. The battery packs last forever - I can get through almost one horse with one battery, and the clippers come with two. No cords to mess with.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

People like to knock cheap clippers but I've done 3 full body clips and numerous touchups with a set of Oster Golden A5 clippers with the same #10 blade. They never get hot at all but your horse does have to be CLEAN or they will stop. They have trouble with even slightly dirty hair. That said, I still love em. I'd rather bathe than spend an extra $200 for more expensive clippers. My old trainer had one of those super expensive detached motor type clippers and they wouldn't go through her horse's hair at all so she borrowed my cheapos. It could have just been a dull blade, but she was suitably impressed with how well mine worked. I got them on sale at Drs. Foster & Smith one year for $100.