The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Guilt over killing mouse

Ok. Mouse evidence in sink. Yuhhhhhggggg. Had to place trap. Caught mouse this morning. Put in dumpster. Feeling guilty. That's it. Anyone else experience this?

No. They are pests. Good riddance!

Yes, but I get over it.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

No. I have cats and dogs who kill and eviscerate them for me. So I have no personal guilt.

DH, OTOH, actually took a mouse away from Lionel the other night because he couldn't stand to watch him release the poor thing and then, just when it thought it had escaped, catch it again.

But the ones I fish out of my feed barrel I release. I can't personally kill them.

I don't feel bad because they spread diseases that are dangerous to both horse and human. They are disgusting vermin, which happen to be kind of cute. The cute does not cancel out the disgusting vermin part though.
    http://www.globalbirdcontrol.com/rodent-diseases.htm

One day I was in the feed room cleaning up when I heard all this squeaking. Baby mousies, the fiesty young barn cat probably got their mother.

I took the baby mice and gave them right to the elderly barn cat who doesn't hunt much anymore. Nom nom nom.

Circle of life, kids.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

I have a terrible mouse story. There was one stuck in my feed bin. He/she was frantically trying to get out but couldn't. I made a ramp out of cardboard so he/she could get out. What I didn't realize was there was a jack russell sitting next to the feed bin. Mr/Mrs. Mouse ran up the ramp and jumped right into the jack russells mouth. That was a mouse rescue epic FAIL!!!
    M

I feel guilty if I did it! HAHA I do get over it, but I understand why you'd feel guilty

I can't stand watching the cats torture,,,,so if anything I go GET the cat that will just eat the mouse and put her next to the one playing with it. Mouse gets taken, and killed, done. HAHA

I am known for lifting palets after using all the feed sacks so the cats can have a buffet though hee hee

Me!!! I had one in my garage a few months back that started getting into things. We started setting traps for him, much to my dismay, but had trouble getting him. Then we realized he had made his way into the house! I finally caught him on a sticky trap and felt HORRIBLE seeing him stuck to that thing looking at me all scared. At the time, our house was in disarray where we were putting down laminate flooring. When we started getting things cleaned up and moved back to their original locations, I started finding mouse poop EVERYWHERE in my house. I'm talking on my kitchen table and inside cardboard boxes that had been sitting on the floor. My pity quickly diminished. That was so gross! I wanted to chlorox my entire house. I can't believe ONE mouse can put out so much poop!!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Skip, i feel your pain. When we moved into our old house we had a lot of them.. After we sealed up everything we hadn't seen any more. It was upsetting to see another one.

The last barn I kept my gelding at was overrun with the little b*stards. Nests under the mats, under the feeders, and scampering underfoot. Fearless! The BM was a fruitcake that hated cats and wouldn't use proper traps. She'd use those live trap things and set the mice free.

I asked her if she was taking them to Jefferson County or just next door.

She started changing her mind when the things began taking over her apartment (attached to the barn), eating holes in her quilts and leaving poop on the window sills. Nasty.

I had them in my feed room this summer for the first time. I have 4 cats, but the mice were getting into the grain and I was having to throw bags out, $$.
    I can't poison, trap, kill them. I got one of those things that drives them away with a noise? Seems to work.

Cats take care of them. Although, when they play with them too long, I will put the poor things out of their misery. Foot or shovel. What ever is handy. Nasty little things. Carry diseases.

Now for the poor headless bunnies my cats drag into the garage....

And I do wonder, what do they do with the heads?

Put them on a pike?

I've never seen one of those sonic things work on mice. Maybe the BM bought the wrong kind?

Had one of the barn cats get a BIG field rat the other day (they are in the crop fields next to my property, luckily don't come to the barn!), she played with that thing all over the farm for about an hour. Finally the top barn cat had enough, took it away, killed it and ate EVERYTHING but the fur! I am sure she was tellin the other one, "Hey you do it like THIS!". No guilt!

I do feel sorry for the mice. Every great once and awhile, one of my indoor cats will catch one, and I will go and take it from them (usually wrap it up in a dish towel) and release it back outside...maybe I'm odd, but I just can't bear to see anything tortured like that. Or maybe it's because I had hamsters growing up, and I just have a soft spot for cute, furry little rodents....

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I feel badly, but I also get over it quickly. I will leace them alone outside, but when they come in the house or feed room, they've stepped over the line.

I also have a horrible trapping story. Once I put a glue trap under the kitchen sink, and the next morning, found I had caught the intruder. Well, glue traps don't kill, and to poor thing had struggled to free itslef probably all night. By the time I found it, it had literally crawled out of its skin! Yes, there was a mouse sized blob of skin, and stuck in front of that, was a *naked* mouse. I could see all the muscles, etc. I was HORRIFIED! Will never again use a glue trap because they are inhumane. I'd rather kill mice before they even know what hit them.

Another *humane* trapping story. A friend trapped a mouse in her pantry but its leg had gotten caught and amputated. She felt awful and took it out way back in a field and let it loose. 2 weeks later, she caught a mouse in the pantry again - and it was a 3-legged mouse just like the one she set free. Same leg amputated. Coincidence? We think not.

Our barn cats play jedi mind tricks on the mice they catch. It's quite amusing, but a bit intimidating as well.

Yes. I feel terrible, whether I killed them or not.

In fact, we have a raccoon that keeps getting in the tack room to eat the cat's food. A few months ago, the dogs got hold of him, and basically were pulling him apart. I ran out and screamed at them until they let go, but I really thought he was dead. I was completely in tears over it, but thankfully when I went back to move the body, he was gone, and hopefully he survived.

Of course, I've been known to cry when I read horse obituaries (for horses I've never heard of) in COTH. I've never recovered from being made to read Where the Red Fern Grows and The Red Pony as a kid, either!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Yes, I feel badly for them, but if they come into my house, sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere. If they are willing to pay my mortgage, perhaps I would relent and let them live here. But freeloading and eating my food? Not!

So, I find the round Decon traps to be the best, you don't see the little bugger, so it is harder to feel badly for them if you can't see them.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by CHS View Post
    I have a terrible mouse story. There was one stuck in my feed bin. He/she was frantically trying to get out but couldn't. I made a ramp out of cardboard so he/she could get out. What I didn't realize was there was a jack russell sitting next to the feed bin. Mr/Mrs. Mouse ran up the ramp and jumped right into the jack russells mouth. That was a mouse rescue epic FAIL!!!
    HASHAHAHAHAHAHA

had a mouse jump into a dog's mouth before, let's call it Harakiri, the honorable death!

Mice have to go, they damage your property, chew electric wires and that can set your house/barn on fire!
    I think they are adorable, but still pests!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.