The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Is anyone else over paying to braid for the A/A divisions? We aren't "A" rated and at most shows we don't get any prize money and our parents aren't paying the bills anymore. As a horse poor A/A I propose we start a movement to not braid. I'll start at Culpeper any others willing to join me?

Is anyone else over paying to braid for the A/A divisions? We aren't "A" rated and at most shows we don't get any prize money and our parents aren't paying the bills anymore. As a horse poor A/A I propose we start a movement to not braid. I'll start at Culpeper any others willing to join me?

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Gee, here's a thought; why don't YOU learn how to braid and then you won't have to pay someone?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Count me in! I'm sick of it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Let's roach their manes! I'll bring the clippers. But you get to go first on your horse. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

My one question... what I am gonna hold on to? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Not all who wander are lost. -J. R. R. Tolkien

member of:
    I miss my pony clique, College clique, Klutz clique, and founder of the Child of the 80's clique!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

proud member of:
    I love my \"Hony\", re-riders, Klutz, and Child of the 80\'s cliques!

If you don't want to braid, don't show at the rated shows.
    We have several circuits here in TX where braiding is completely optional.... as are hunt coats, and very often even formal show shirts!

I think braids are very elegant.
    I can do a fair job myself, and if I don't have time or really really want it to look super snazzy, I'll fork over the dough. It saves me on lots and lots of time, stress, and possible embarassment when the braids go wonky on me!

If you don't want to get up that early in the morning, or have other priorities..... you pretty much have to pay the braiders.
    KD

AR Clique Member... and proud of it!
    www.starpointequestrian.com
    "Seasons will change, you must move on, follow your dreams!"
    AR Clique Member... and proud of it!
    www.starpointequestrian.com
    \"Seasons will change, you must move on, follow your dreams!\"

I like the roaching the mane idea. From the offside it would look just like it was braided anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ESG:
    Gee, here's a thought; why don't YOU learn how to braid and then you won't have to pay someone?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, learn to do it yourself! It's not hard, just takes a little practice.

"Member of the Western clique"

All gave some...And some gave all...God bless the USA
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

I do braid for myself. But I would be just as happy not to. I agree with YA/Ain VA. We pay almost as much as the "A" rated divsions but most shows do not pay back hardly anything to the adults, which is almost always one of the largest divisions.

I remember when I was young that you braided for every division at every "A" show and at all of the local shows. We were not "allowed" to go unbraided. Over time the norm has started to go towards not braiding.

There are certain shows where all of the divisions go unbraided. The winter Raliegh Show. James River when it was still at the Airfield 4-H Center.

I can see doing away with braiding for the adults. Roaching manes would save me a lot of time pulling Mr. French's mane.

Hi- I am sorry but if your a going to show at the A level I think you should know how to braid you mount. If you are too lazy to braid then you should show lower levels. The A shows needs every horse braided and braided correctly!!! That what it is all about!!!!

Switch to jumpers.

Janet
    chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle, and Brain
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

OLD A/O Have you been to any "A" shows lately? There are a ton of unrated divisions that go unbraided. Do you think those should be braided too?

Learn how to braid it's not that hard. I am actually quite shocked on how nice my braids turn out without being rushed of course! Braiding actually brings out the elegance of our sport. It's actually dependant on the horse. Some horses actually look quite nice without braiding and others do.

shave your horse completely

-------------
    I am guilty of a dreadful selfish crime
    I have robbed myself of all my precious time

I agree with Janet! Switch to jumpers!

And be nice to poor Y/A... this person is new! Let's not scare him/her off just yet!

Here are the Devilpups!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/angelgregory87

"Did you know Dream was pregnant?" "No, why?" "We have a Pinto foal..." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

YA/AinVA - get a few more in the YA/A at Culpeper and I'll join the not braiding maybe even the roach the mane group.

Move up to the A/O's and win some money back!

I would love to move up but two things are stopping me.

#1 I lease my horse.

more importantly
    #2 my eye. I just started back into showing and I need to be a little more accurate before I go after Betty & Tina.

Dear LTLFLDF: Yes I have been to some A show's . I have even have two horses of the ASHA year awards, and I am sorry, but I think any horse shown at the A level should be braided, mane and tail!! However,if I show at the local, or B and C level I still braid manes but may show in chaps and a sweater and etc. I guess because I am of the old school I will always braid the mane no matter what the level of the show. This is out of respect for the show and the judge.

And people say the A circuit is snobby... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Some of us are trying to work or go to school full time in addition to maintaining our horse addiction. Maybe I should learn to braid my own horse, but until someone is going to pay me $10/hr or give me credits toward graduation, it ain't going to happen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    \"Never give up on something you can\'t go one day without thinking about.\" ~Albert Einstein

I am sorry but I read about the snobs who show A shows. Well, I have shown A shows all my life and I learned how to braid my horse at age 12. This is mane and tail with a pin wheel or not. I learned to pull manes and etc. I also know how to clean my tack, make white socks white and etc. To put it bluntly, I love horses and I love showing so I tried to learn everything I could!!! I am not a snob and I can show on my own no matter what level!!!