The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best clippers for body clipping and show clipping

I'm looking to buy new clippers and I was wanting something that would strong enough to body clip maybe one to two horses per year and then be good enough to do a show clipping.

Obviously I'll need to have interchangeable blades for each process.

Thoughts on the best purchase for the job?

Lister Star clippers, or Whal K2

Andis Agc super 2 speeds with the T-84 blades--- I clip for a living and they are what I use
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Andis all the way!! I also clip professionally and I have 3 sets of Andis clippers, one set in use for the past 5 years and still going strong. My newest set is the lightspeed with the LEDs for dark horses/barns. The T-84 blades are great for body clipping and a small set of clippers is much easier than an old set of clipmasters.
    Just cause you move to Texas, doesn't mean you are a Texan. After all, if a cat puts her kittens in the oven, It doesn't make them Bisquits.

I'm going to kind of get in on this conversation - I took in a horse that has matted hair to the skin; he has Cushing so he's got a lot of hair. I brushed him a long time today and got loose hair but the matts are just awful; all over his body. Do I try and clip them off or use scissors? I've never had a horse with matts this bad. HELP I feel so sorry for him.

Quote Originally Posted by zahena View Post
    Yup, those are them! Great clippers. I fully body clip about 5 horses each year, and do show trim ups on about 10, and they work great. They are really quiet, don't get hot, and they are light. Love them!

Cool! Because they are way cheaper than some other options though I do wonder if my local dover will carry them. But I understand they will have them shipped in if necessary free of charge.

Those ponies better look out! It's been years since I did a full clip so they might be experiencing some male patterned baldness. LOL!!!

I agree with Andis--the big body clippers advertised as cattle and horse clippers, not the little ones you brought up, though I heard they were good.

I had my old ones forever and finally bought this. They are WONDERFUL. I searched online and got them for $200 with a case. Serach Nextag.com to find the best price. (Mostly advertised about $260.) The blades are super sharp, they are way lighter than heabvy duty clippers. Can't say enough. LOVE them.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by FancyASB View Post
    I'm going to kind of get in on this conversation - I took in a horse that has matted hair to the skin; he has Cushing so he's got a lot of hair. I brushed him a long time today and got loose hair but the matts are just awful; all over his body. Do I try and clip them off or use scissors? I've never had a horse with matts this bad. HELP I feel so sorry for him.

Clip him - clippers are far easier to get under matts. Scissors just run the risk of a puncture.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I use these clippers for the main body and a smaller clipper for the tidy up.

I like them because they are light and no vibration in your hand or very little as the motor is on the wall.

http://www.doublekindustries.com/pag...lt_details.php

Dalemma

City of delusion in the state of total denial

My Andis AGC Super-2s did 15 body clips this winter so far and they're getting cleaned up for the next round. I've had them for four years and love them.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

"Andis Agc super 2 speeds with the T-84 blades"

I hate these!!!! They are great with a standard 10 or 15 blade on them for faces and legs, but with the T-84's they just get stuck in the hair and don't do anything to a winter coat except cause frustration....and the tack stores keep selling them to people as body clippers! Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but I have had many other people complain about them.....

Quote Originally Posted by jumpymeister View Post
    "Andis Agc super 2 speeds with the T-84 blades"

I hate these!!!! They are great with a standard 10 or 15 blade on them for faces and legs, but with the T-84's they just get stuck in the hair and don't do anything to a winter coat except cause frustration....and the tack stores keep selling them to people as body clippers! Maybe i'm doing something wrong, but I have had many other people complain about them.....
    I have the Andis Super 2-Speeds with the T84 blade.. clip my mare just fine with her full winter coat. I also don't bathe her beforehand, bad bad me.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

A client just bought a pair the other day and we tried to clip...clippers on, tried to start clipping his shoulder, and the blades just got stuck...cut nasty lines into his coat and then just stopped cutting the hair completely....I had to loan her a smaller pair of 10 blades I had in my car and she clipped her horse with them just fine....and the clippers were fresh from a shopping trip at dover that morning....has anyone else had this problem with them? This is like the 5th pair of these clippers i've seen this happen with....and on clean and dirty horses - that doesn't seem to make a difference...