The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Here's how it works. Everyone contributes a paragraph no longer than 5 sentences. Be creative. Have fun. Spring is almost upon us!

I'll start:

Spring came late to the mountains this year. What with record snowfall and ice, it was amazing we were able to at least keep the horses on a consistent feed and hay schedule. I was thankful I'd insisted on purchasing those extra 500 bales, and glad we still had our farmhand Jake, who bucked them all into the hayloft on a warm September afternoon. It's funny how life changes so rapidly, one day he's there to run the place, the next we hear he's heading to Florida for the winter. I secretly breath on the glass pane of the kitchen window and scratch in his initials, "J.T."

"Don't mince words, don't be evasive
    Speak your mind, be persuasive"
    Madonna
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Here's how it works. Everyone contributes a paragraph no longer than 5 sentences. Be creative. Have fun. Spring is almost upon us!

I'll start:

Spring came late to the mountains this year. What with record snowfall and ice, it was amazing we were able to at least keep the horses on a consistent feed and hay schedule. I was thankful I'd insisted on purchasing those extra 500 bales, and glad we still had our farmhand Jake, who bucked them all into the hayloft on a warm September afternoon. It's funny how life changes so rapidly, one day he's there to run the place, the next we hear he's heading to Florida for the winter. I secretly breath on the glass pane of the kitchen window and scratch in his initials, "J.T."

"Don't mince words, don't be evasive
    Speak your mind, be persuasive"
    Madonna
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I had resigned myself to spend along gray cold week alone, yet again, with just the horses.

I had settled in the kitchen with a pot of tea. The windows remained steamed with just the ghostly initials moocking me in my solitude.

I heard a distant annoying whine of a snow mobile. The neighborhood kids, yet again wondering if they could help with the horses.

But it got closer and closer and soon there was a knock at the door.

Opening, I find a broad shouldered stranger holding two bags of provisions from "Trader Joe's"

"I saw the letters in the window and thought you might be signaling for help"

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

It was Jake...with the makings of dinner for two, and a candle for the table. Steaks, pasta and two bottles of merlot...my favorite. I guess he was more observant than I thought all those nights last summer and fall when I'd wander down to the barn with 1/2 a bottle and a glass and relax while I groomed the horses and made sure everyone was tucked in for the night...

Devon 2003 Here We Come!!!!
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

At my shy smile of invitation, he settled his coat on the tall iron rack by the door and moved easily through the living room into the kitchen, placing the richly hued candle lightly on the old oak table. I asked him how he'd been, and he shrugged, a smile in his deep blue eyes. He thought for a second, a grin spreading across his face, then replied, "Good now." "How 'bout you?" I was silent for a long moment, wondering how to respond, looking for the words, my hand idly rubbing the smooth back of a small wooden horse statue my grandfather had carved when I was a child.

Be careful to whom you lend your shirt if you have a tendency to wear your heart upon your sleeve.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Brief interruption from the editors: Remember this is a family board, kids. Don't let your relationship with Jake go too far! Or at least, do the written equivalent of one of those fade to the roaring fire or fireworks exploding shots. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

You may now return to your horsey story. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by miss annie:
    my hand idly rubbing the smooth back of a small wooden horse statue my grandfather had carved when I was a child.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wondering all the while if that's how his smooth chiseled chest would feel. There's something about cowboys, I said to myself as I drained back yet another glass of merlot.

ROTFLMAOPMP.

Laura
    Laura

Like a sudden storm on a hot sultry night, the silence is broken by the ringing of the telephone. Could this be the call for which I've waited so long? As I take the call, Jake turns to light the candle.

"Hello?" I said, as I watch Jake trying to light the candle ... without much success, I might add. Actually, as I watched him I realized that he was actually quite awkward ... or was it me making him sweat so profusely?

"Is this the O'Malley residence?" the voice on the other end of the phone queried?

"Yes," I replied, "yes it is."

"Well," the sultry voice asked. "Is Jake there?"

The adventure has begun...
    KT
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Supprised, I said "well yes he just arrived", with a lift of an eyebrow I turned to Jake and said "it seems to be for you". He got a mildly supprised but not amused look on his face and took the phone, I poured another glass of Merlot for me and one for him and went to light the fire, pretending not to listen to the conversation.

I'll get you my pretty....and your little dog too...ehheheheheheh
    \"given the choice of a majestic horse and a guy who\'s only part of a horse, I\'ll take the horse any day\"
    Budweiser commercial

I notice Jake's expression darken as he listens to the person on the other end, his hand beginning to grip the phone tightly.

"I never said I'd marry you!" he explodes suddenly.

Even I can hear the screeching from the other end of the line as he utters that.

"Its not my baby, and you and I both know why!". Jake slams the phone down, and turns his back to me, taking deep breaths.

Jake listened in silence, then broke out with a heartfelt "damn." Then, "I'll be right there to meet the vet." Those were words I'd heard, or said myself, too many times before.

"What is it?" I asked.

"The mare in foal to Baloubet. She's not due for another month but is in labor." He paused, looking at me regretfully. His "sorry about this. It wasn't what I had planned" made up a bit for the disappointment, but only a bit.

"Hey, we're both horse people. I understand. The horses always come first." Smiling ruefully, he said, "Yeah, and they always have great timing, don't they?"

As Jake started to walk out the door, he turned and stared for a few seconds. "Want to come with me and sit out the foaling?"
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

He brushed his obviously thinning hair from his forehead ... he'd tried--unsuccessfully--to do a comb-over, and picked up the hat he never was very far from, and jammed it on his head.

Yuck, I silently said to myself. He might have arms of steel, but he's got the manners of, well a field hand.

Hmmmm, wait a minute, I mused, that's exactly what he is... a field hand. Uncomplicated,... unsophisticated... earthy... lean... just the opposite of Frank.

"Sure" I replied as his eyes locked with mine and stayed. "Maybe I can even 'give you a hand'"

KT
    "For God hates utterly

After a few moments I respond "sure, I'll go with you to watch your foal arrive in the world". With another swipe of well calloused hand through hair, he replies "it's not mine, belongs to my want-to-be fiance." A sadness seems to engulf him.

[This message was edited by o2binca on Mar. 10, 2003 at 08:52 PM.]

As we climbed up into his pickup and sped into the dark night, I looked out the window and thought about Frank. Poor Frank. I heard the other day that he'd probably get out a year early on good behavior. But who would hire him now? After what he did?!
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

As we sped down the bumpy dirt road, several empty, long-forgotten beer cans rattled around on the floor of Jake's truck. I pretended not to notice, but I couldn't help wondering what else was down there under my feet. Jake rolled down the window and put a cigarette in his mouth. I said, "Would you mind not smoking?" He looked at me for a moment, saw I was serious, and put the cigarrette in his pocket without saying a word.

I felt awkward, while at the same time wondering why I'd never noticed he was a smoker. Then I remembered the unexplained barn fire at the farm where Jake used to work. Could he have been responsible?

Suddenly we arrived at the barn. Jake jumped out, paused just long enough to light his cigarette, then ran into the barn. My jaw dropped in disgust, and somehow I was unable to say anything. When I moved to get out of the truck, the door creaked so loud I thought it would fall off. I, too, ran into the barn to see what was wrong with the mare.

When I got there, Jake was leaning over the stall door observing the mare, who stood in a corner pawing at the floor. She was sweaty, and behaving as though she was in labor. Jake asked, "How long has she been like this?"

I was just about to say, "How should I know," when a female voice from the darkness said, "About an hour."

~Sara
    *Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron*
    *T-Minus 5 Weeks Until My Beval Devon Arrives!*

sbt78lw -

Waaaahaaaahaaahaaaa.

PIMP.

Whew!

KT
    "For God hates utterly

And another voice from the darkness spoke, a a tall, uniformed policeman with ready handcuffs stepped forward to Jake, who stood dumfounded in the straw. "Whaaat da.." "You're under arrest," the policeman said firmly, "for horse stealing."
    Watching the action tearfully from the corner was a lithe blonde with expensive jeans, Ariat boots and a beautiful embroidered jean jacket that was covered with indian beadwork. She stood up, alarmed, looking past Jake and the cop who were glowering at each other. The mare loomed large as she lunged, teeth open, for the men in the opening of the stall.
    The blonde screamed and dug with her hands at the mane of the mare, to stop her. I saw the mare's moan of pain, behind the men, and reached forward to pull Jake to safety as the mare knocked the policeman off his feet and into the straw.
    Writhing in her pain, the mare whipped around to the back of the stall, the labor pains coming fast, and laid down with a groan, snaking her head out in front of her and stiffening her front legs.
    I got to my knees in the stall doorway. Jake, behind me, had one handcuff on, and with a wild look behind him, jumped to his feet and ran down the aisle toward his waiting truck.
    The blonde looked at me, and we both looked down at the policeman -- he was face down on the straw, and very still.
    The mare panted heavily and the sounds of the birth began. The blonde screamed and jumped up, tore past me in the doorway and ran after Jake.
    Jake - the policeman - the mare - ? Which crisis should I get to first?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com