The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How hard are pull on boots supposed to be to pull on? Help!!!

I just got some Ariat Crowne's that were made in Italy, the nice leather ones! But I'm finding it impossible to get them on! I have to baby powder the boot, my foot, take the laces out and then pull with all my might!!!! They feel fine once they are on, but geeze!! So far I've only got the left foot on... Any suggestions???

Help!!

You may have the same kind of foot as I do - heel sticks out more than most making the distance between top of ankle and back of heel much thicker. If you cannot point your foot and get that perfect ballerina arched curve on top, you have it.
    No advice, just condolances.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

It sounds to me like either they're too small or as the above poster suggested, your foot conformation does not fit well into a pull-on Ariat boot. Sorry You could always get zippers installed to improve the fit.

P.S. Unless you've got an older pair, Ariats are made in China these days Yes, they still charge you $$$ but they're stamped 'Made in China.'

Nope, they are in fact an older pair. Says made in Italy on the inside!! I was so excited that they weren't going to be complete crap!!!! But now they don't fit. Joy....

<fever brain>
    Last edited by Phaxxton; Jan. 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    What color are they? The gum colored ones are definitely a LOT easier to get on than the white or black and don't rub as much.

They aren't easy to get on, but they shouldn't be THAT difficult. I'd try a size bigger and the gum color. One of my horses is about 16.2 with decent sized feet and he wears an XL, for example.

You can also soak them in hot water to soften them a bit before pulling them on.
    The OP was talking about her field boots ... teehee

Try a slicker pair of socks - like mens wool dress socks - like borrow from your DH or So - that helped me until my boots loosened up a bit --- if they are fine once on just keep going with them - another suggestion ~~~ buy some of those uglu knee high stockings - L'eggs put on over your socks to slicken up the process. Hope this helps - worked for me until my boots stretched a little.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by ifiwereyou View Post
    The OP was talking about her field boots ... teehee
    This is why I shouldn't post when I have a 103 fever!

You can try show sheen instead of baby powder, and use knee high nylons. It sounds like you may have bad foot conformation if they feel fine/fit well once they are on. I have the same problem, and can not have boots that don't have zippers. Sorry!

I haven't tried it myself, but a fellow barn mate once told me that they sprayed show sheen on their leg/socks before trying to put on their boot. They said boots slid on very easily...

I have bird legs, super skinny ankles, and long feet making it nearly impossible to get new field boots on, let alone off. I second the Showsheen and slick sock idea. I've also dumped leather conditioner into the boot before I've put it on, which helps to quickly soften the ankle area. Once you've either done the water trick or worn them for a few weeks, they will be easier, but you'll probably always need help getting them off.

Congrats on your great find!

I suggest a strong husband/dad or brother . My Dad kind of picked me up by the boot pulls that were hooked inside the boot to get a pair of boots on once. My foot eventually slid right in. Of course, if you've already bought the boots I'd probably use some conditioner or the bathtub method and then get some strong help to get into them and just see if they stretch out and get easier next time.

I use the zocks and show sheen on my leg. Getting them off is easy..it is just getting them on espeically if my boot is cold.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

The showsheen trick really works - my kids got an extra year out of the Vogel show boots, and their toes were not all scrunched up either, just the ankle was tight!

Show Sheen works great. Spray the inside the night before and they slide right on. I have 2 pair of the older Ariat Crownes and love them.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I used to use 2 pairs of knee high nylons, one over the other, to get my really tight tall boots on. They slide over one another, and the outer pair usually rips...but made it way easier to get them on. The boot slide spray helps too. I've also heard of putting a plastic bag (like grocery bag) over your foot...but that seems like it would be really uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by McVillesMom View Post
    I used to use 2 pairs of knee high nylons, one over the other, to get my really tight tall boots on. They slide over one another, and the outer pair usually rips...but made it way easier to get them on. The boot slide spray helps too. I've also heard of putting a plastic bag (like grocery bag) over your foot...but that seems like it would be really uncomfortable.
    The plastic bag thing actually does work. Usually your foot pushes through the other end so you can pull the bag out of the boot once it is on.

I was having the same problem with a pair of old Vogels - I had them stretched a tiny bit (Journeyman can actually measure to see where the pinch is) and now they go on and off with much less drama. As long as it's a minor stretch, it won't harm the leather. Good luck!

If they are new, you should be sweating and swearing by the time you get into them. Otherwise, they are too big. Showsheen will help.

My roommate at VI (1978) put her boots by her bed at night. She would put her boots and breeches on before she stood up in the morning. If she walked down the hall to the bathroom before she put her boots on, her calves would be too big to fit into her boots!
    Last edited by lesson junkie; Jan. 30, 2010 at 01:38 PM.