The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb does anyone make

a one cup size pill box/organizer? I have been looking for a larger size pill organizer or similar for mixing supplements for the barn weekly, but I can't find anything larger then 1-2inches. I like the convenience of having the weekly container and I need the individual flip/locking lids, but I need more space. Anyone, any ideas?

Can't you just use individual Tupperware-like containers? Do they have to be attached?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

I haven't seen pill organizers that big...it depends on what supplement I have my horse on, but I bought a few packs of small containers (found in the kitchen section of Target, etc.) to put supplements in. They take up more room than an oversized pill organizer would but I'm thinking these work better than using a pill organizer, but that's just me
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    a one cup size pill box/organizer? I have been looking for a larger size pill organizer or similar for mixing supplements for the barn weekly, but I can't find anything larger then 1-2inches. I like the convenience of having the weekly container and I need the individual flip/locking lids, but I need more space. Anyone, any ideas?
    Shoot, haven't you been clicking on the ad on this site? Its called "Smart pak"

If you don't want to pay smart pack, buy your own plasitc from walmart and weld it together with a glue gun, or, with crazy glue. What's the point of starting a thread about it??? You didn't have the smarts to figurel that out for yourself??? You had to ask random people to tell you what you (god, I hope you did) already knew???
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I've got the GREATST idea!!!

Buy Smart Pak ONCE!!!
    =
    THEN, keep the empty plastic and (gasp!) REUSE IT!!!

Rude, I know, but clever, none the less.

In some circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post

Really, Karma, you can find things like this wherever you shop.

Staples

Walmart

Stop and Shop

Ames

Ocean STate Job Lot

Your local feed and grain

Amway

Is thisreally so hard to sort out for yourself???

I'll pretend you were really tired and posted randomly, without thinking. Wake up tomorrow and it will all be clear!!

(ie, you will buy your own plastic containers, just the right size for what youwant!!)

I use the one cup size gladware containers... used to "Smartpak" but now use these 'cause I can get buckets cheaper when I bargain shop. Eight days worth fit in the small smartpak bin just great!

Or you can hit the craft stores and pick up a tray organizer (like for yarn). Some of them have adjustable dividers that you can customize for size.

Actually its harder than you think. Tupper/Rubbermaid wear is cheap, because its well cheep. It doesnt hold up to constant use for things like supplements. The lids tear and warp easily. Ive been in the same predicament. Im not a fan of the monthly shipping feeds from smartpak, and they dont carry one I use.

I need air tight, light blocking containers. I found some 4oz pill containers on ebay. My one horses gets two, and the other just gets one container per day. They are actually for people who make their own creames/ lip balm. They are white plastic with screw off lids. I can probably find the seller if you want to PM me. They're a little pricey, about $30 for 20 4-oz and 8 2-oz. (Included shipping, for combined items)

Side note: Can we learn to be decent?? Some on this forum seems to be a little bit rude. If you dont have anything constructive to say, please dont post. (this was directed to other posters, not the OP.)

There are some posters..... well, you just learn to skip anything they post after, say, 5 pm. I say this as a woman who greatly enjoys a drink or three. *shrug*
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I'm glad this question was asked.

I'm wrestling with a similar thing -- only my problem is not the size of the containers, but having them powder-proof.

My old mare gets 1-1/2 teaspoons of joint supplement powder (a three-ingredient-combo that I purchase separately because it's less expensive). I have a large (holds 4 teaspoons) pill organizer -- but it lets little puffs of the unused days' supplement escape each time I empty a compartment.

I was hoping there was another option that retained the convenience of a 7-day strip and not taking up a lot of space. SmartPac is too expensive.

HOWEVER-- I do have a suggestion for the OP:
    I've seen these little storage thingies made for mechanics and artsy types to store small items. It's a frame with a lot of little plastic drawers -- some would easily hold a cup; would probably come in either a 9- or 12-drawer configuration. They come up to 36-drawer, but IIRC, these wouldn't hold a cup (but I could be wrong...check them out for sure before taking my word for it).

Just fill however many drawers (only seven if you want just a week's worth), each day pull out a drawer and empty.

Looks something like this and sits on a shelf/table; some might have hooks to hang on a wall:

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyandLacy View Post
    Tupper/Rubbermaid wear is cheap, because its well cheep. It doesnt hold up to constant use for things like supplements. The lids tear and warp easily.
    I have been using the same set of Rubbermaid Twist and Seal containers for several years now, and they have yet to warp or break. I use the small size for my mare and the medium and small sizes for my gelding, who gets 2 oz. Glanzen Lite twice a day as well as a couple of other supplements. They have held up better than anything else I've ever tried. They are available at Wal-Mart, not that expensive and well worth the investment. Not lightproof, though. I fill mine once a week and put them in a storage drawer (like the Smartpak drawers).

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091257

I'd look at spice racks/containers personally. There are any number of options and you could probably find something to work.

I've seen plastic ones with magnets in the lid used -- they stick right on the stall door and don't break if they fall off. Very convenient.

But if you were storing in a feed room, there's certainly enough variations that you could find some sort of wall or counter rack with the size container you want.

Container Store.
    Probably won't be cheap, don't know if you have one in your area, but they have a huge selection of pill containers, jars, etc. A ton of "travel" containers that are no spill.
    I know they have plastic containers with lids attached as I used them before I started ordering from Smarpak.

Talking

Thanks for those who gave constructive feedback!!

I board and the feeders will not keep track of a bunch of separate containers. I need to keep is as simple as small as possible. I have been using an XL pill organizer, which works great for an ounce or so, but not much else. I saw a super large organizer (just like a pill one) for chipboard alphabets, but I can't find someplace that sells them- if I do I am probably set.

I liked the idea of hot gluing containers together in the size that works for me.

I have seen, read and checked out SmarkPak many times- it's a no go for me, always to expensive.