The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Talking Former AC4H broker horse Ducky's Ho Oh - guess the foal date, help a Tb

May 27 - So Ducky's secret's out. See pictures of the waddling mare in post 48, put in your guess for her foaling date and what she's having - closest guess will have a donation made in their name to the Tb rescue of their choice.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Or HAD a secret that is. For those that didn't catch this thread, Ducky was pulled out of New Holland by an anonymous savior at the end of November and came to live at Cool Meadows for some R&R.

She did nothing but eat the entire first 5 or 6 weeks while her knee injury and wire cuts healed, and the past two weeks she's done a bit of groundwork as weather allowed.

Yesterday as I tacked up I noticed the girth was getting snug. I was happy for the weight gain, but a little worried because she's still behind in the neck and butt department. I snapped some shots (last two on this page - first 4 pix are when she first arrived) to send to her rescue-er and as I was uploading them, I really noticed that belly.

And this afternoon it was confirmed, Ms. Duck Duck is in foal. With what, we don't know but hopefully we can track the info down. The goal was to let her do a few pleasure classes at the OTTb show in Lexington at the end of March, because she's a pleasurable kind of gal but she's going to be a triple wide by then!

So we're taking bets now, what's Ducky cooking? She was supposed to have been a broodmare (my vet thinks she's likely a maiden though) at a QH farm after leaving the track, but there was a Tb stallion there too. Is she stewing a long eared baby in there?

Updated 5.24 because it's baby time soon!
    Last edited by CoolMeadows; May. 27, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Oh! She's lovely! She has such a kind eye in those pictures. I think someone found themselves a jewel. I always thought it would be neat to end up with a mare in foal to a mule. I don't know the likelihood of that happening, but for me, it would be the best possible solution lol I can't help but ask though, what is all the white on her in the first few pictures? It doesn't seem to be snow and I guess it could sand or dirt. Sorry I'm so nosey! Just very curious!

These rescue girls sure turn up prego a lot. She really looks good and a nice prego tummy too. Joe at TB Friends went out to feed last week and found a filly just born, had no idea the rescue mare was prego. Letting stallions run with the mares makes me sooooooooo mad!

I can't help but ask though, what is all the white on her in the first few pictures? It doesn't seem to be snow and I guess it could sand or dirt. Sorry I'm so nosey! Just very curious!
    It's medicated Gold Bond powder. She was covered in rain rot, poor girl. She was also absolutely loaded with worms. The knee was enlarged from a little wound and she had the ugly wire cut... but even with those and her osselets she was sound and is a really cute mover too. She's a class act, I can't wait to see what she's hiding!

These rescue girls sure turn up prego a lot. She really looks good and a nice prego tummy too. Joe at TB Friends went out to feed last week and found a filly just born, had no idea the rescue mare was prego. Letting stallions run with the mares makes me sooooooooo mad!
    I bought a fancy medium pony out of a kill pen who surpised us by growing a giant belly... she foaled a gorgeous palamino filly who's been in the SmartPak catalogs a couple of times. It's kind of like waiting for Christmas to see what you get!
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I think you can do a genetic marker test to tell if the daddy was a TB or a QH. You can check with the University of Kentucky about it.

Maybe the little thing could be registered if you can figure out who the daddy is and you know what farm she came from.

Oh I remember this little girl... Thank goodness she ended up with you!

Can't believe she's got a wee one in the oven! How exciting and surprising.

Of course you best post pics when baby arrives....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I call dibs up in MA if it's a mule baby! I love the longears, and mine is getting sick of trying to interact on an intellectual level with the "dumb horses!"

Some of the sweetest horses I've known were surprises. I knew a horse named Oops (belonged to Sally Graeburn) when I was a kid who was absolutely lovely. I think it makes a great name for one of these "bonus packages."

Can't wait to see pictures when the little one arrives.

Aww she's Adorable! Love that belly

She sure got lucky! I'm so glad she's with you.
    -Jessica

I TOLD you it was a new horse!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

When I knew Ducky at the track, she was always a lady. So baby, whatever it should be, will have a very good start in life. There will be Ducky to teach proper manners, and CoolMeadows to watch over and protect it.

You know, I just have this feeling it is going to be a filly. I keep calling it her, and she. We'll see how accurate my premonitions are in a couple of months.
    Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past - let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
    Kennedy

Aw, a surprise Duckling!
    This was one of the reasons why I chose a gelding from ac4h, LOL! I wasn't set up for a surprise TwoFer situation.
    We will be expecting photos of your new duckling when it hatches. So the only choices for daddy are a TB and a QH? Do you know which farm she came from? Or who the possible sires might be?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

OHHHH my goodness! That's quite a secret. No wonder she looks so smug!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

If Duck Duck's little Goose has long ears and a whinney haw haw I'm going to come down there and get it!

Quote Originally Posted by sourmilknightmares View Post
    Oh! She's lovely! She has such a kind eye in those pictures. I think someone found themselves a jewel. I always thought it would be neat to end up with a mare in foal to a mule.
    LOL, if she's in foal TO a mule, she's a medical miracle--mules are almost always sterile. She might be in foal WITH a mule, if she's been bred to a jack. Personally, when my neighbor gave me a pony and she turned out to be in foal, the agreement was we kept a pony, he got a mule, as I don't have much use for them. Not sure what I'd do with one if I wound up with one now (hooray for geldings!)

I second Louise's suggestion from the other thread that perhaps Ducky's baby, whatever it is, have Beau or Bow in the name as a nod to Mr. American Beau Jingles, Lori's starvation case who was humanely destroyed this morning. Ducky's given the forum an increidble pick me up story after his sad ending.

(However, I may print this out and show this to my BO as a continuing example of why if we buy a project from an auction it should REALLY be a gelding.)

SO. More news, the baby daddy is a Thoroughbred and he was "in the field with her group in June, July and August."

The sire's name is Leaf Out of Your Book. I can't find any info on that name, but maybe the spelling's off or the name is a variation of that. Anyone care to do some research? ETA: Duh, it's Leafoutofyourbook.

I learned that Ducky is a terrible cribber who did major damage to his half million dollar barn, taught his other valuable horses to crib and that the owner was angry about that and has no love for that horse. Those are all direct quotes.

She hasn't cribbed once or even looked like she was thinking about it here. Granted, she's out most of the time but she's in three times a day for meals, and has been in during nasty weather. Not even a nibble.

I wish I could say I was shocked by the guy's attitude, but nothing is shocking anymore. Clearly by the way he kept talking about his half million dollar barn, he had more than enough money to do the right thing and just chose not to. Oh well, his loss.
    Last edited by CoolMeadows; Jan. 29, 2010 at 02:29 PM. Reason: ETA: Found the stallion info

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_di...12106140142508

Leafoutofyourbook, if it's the same horse, is a 2001 brown horse by Prosper Fager out of Game Dana by John Alden, with $99,000 in winnings.

I'll be darned...

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbP...try=USA&race=3

Look who finished fifth in his last race at Finger Lakes (where he was second.)

Good to know "sort of" WHAT she was bred by....but wow...guy sounds like an asshat.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Leafoutofyourbook is the stallion that the guy bought the same time he bought Ducky. Ducky's trainer doesn't lie, so I don't know why she was cribbing at his place, if she indeed was.

Well, at least we know what she's having, even if the baby can't be registered. What a jerk for not letting CoolMeadows register the baby.
    Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past - let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
    Kennedy

Don't worry Louise, Christy from AC4H and I have a plan.