The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, when you buy frozen semen

How do you buy it? Just one dose, two doses? Does it depend on how the semen was frozen.....small tubes versus the bigger tubes?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    How do you buy it? Just one dose, two doses? Does it depend on how the semen was frozen.....small tubes versus the bigger tubes?
    Thanks
    Generally you buy by the dose. I've bought frozen semen that had a price break if you bought three doses, as well as being able to use a fresh semen back-up. In those cases I've bought 3 doses. In most other cases I buy at least two, but only b/c I will give a mare only 3 breeding chances/season, and usually switch to fresh after two strikes with frozen. Some frozen semen is sold LFG, and in those cases they will generally send enough frozen to cover "x" number of cycles for that season, with the extra being sent back. You have to remember that shipping frozen can eat up money, so I usually find that buying one dose isn't worth the cost/hassle of shipping.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I generally get at least 2 doses of each stallion I choose, just in case the mare does not catch on the first try. For the most part I have been pretty lucky so I can use the extra dose for a future breeding. The shipping cost generally does not change whether you get 1 dose or many more as they can all fit in the same FS shipper.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

I think it depends on how you want to use the frozen semen, and how good your vet is.

If you use the SBS protocol for frozen semen breeding, you need 2 doses per breeding. With maybe one extra in case the mare really holds onto that follicle and you need to breed 3x in one ovulation, but I think that's a bit extream.

If you can have your mare ultrasounded more frequently, then you can try the one dose just post ovulation, which means more money on ultrasounds, but less in a breeding fee.

Just keep in mind that one dose is *one* breeding dose. IE, not to be split up half and half, if it comes wqith 8 straws per dose, you use all 8 on one insemination, not 4 and 4 (there are people that do, but it's not recomended, and may even be in some contracts). I believe for the most part, the multimple small straws and one larger straw contain about the same total volume and number of sperm.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

Let's say you bought 3 doses and it took only 2 to get the mare pregnant. The year after, you use the one left to breed and it results in a pregnancy. Do you have to pay an extra something to the SO in order to get a breeding certificate for the 2nd foal ?

Hope I am clear here...

It depends on the contract you have. If you have something like a LFG contract, then most likely not, you'd have to return or destroy the semen (or get an unregistred foal.) If you are buying straight out doses, I believe this is how many from Europe do it, if you buy 3 doses, and get 3 foals, you get 3 breeding cert, and 3 registerable foals.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

I would buy at least two dose and probably three at a time just in case you need an extra dose, And the spipping can add up with the one dose at a time system. Also make sure the stallion has had success with frozen don't just go by the motility ect. I would like to see a foal on the ground first not just a positive pregnacy check.

Joe

Default Thanks guys

The semen broker can help with this info too, right? As far as babies on the ground, amount of semen to buy and whatever else?

When you contact them and they tell the semen is great and you follow up with are there any foal on the ground or have any mares been confirmed in foal then you don't here back from them,That's a clue, So asking about semen quality is just the start.

Joe