The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baby Green Hunters

Who has them for sale?? I am seeing so many pre-green horses and not quite backed 3 yo olds but no 2010 baby greens. Are people just holding on to them waiting for the economy to turn? (Disclaimer- this is not a sale ad, I'm just curious as to whats going on with this level of showing.)

I have one but he is showing so much potential that I would hate to sell him at this point because I know he will bring a lot more money in a year or so. People seem to not want to pay a lot of money for a good quality, well bred horse unless it is proven.

Holding onto them yes, but mainly because they are worth far more after they have a few successful Baby Green shows under their belt, and even more after a good pregreen year.

The scale of equine value grows very little in the horses first four years of life, then begins to skyrocket with every mile it travels. An unproven Baby Green horse is going to bring in no more, and often less, than what someone spent to raise it. Or to buy it, break it and start it over fences - I'd say an asking price around $25K for the average unshown but show quality 4yo. However, if these sellers wait just one more year, put a bit of a record on it, get some good photos and videos, they suddenly have a 5 yo that can ask 40K, and maybe, just MAYBE, they'll actually come out ahead on a horse.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Baby Green is not nationally recognized, not offered at all rated shows and varies quite a bit depending on where the show is. Maybe anything from 2' to 2'6" so it's kind of hard to rely on just the "Baby Green" experience statement when shopping.

Pre Green is much more standardized and pretty much means a 3' horse. Easier for the buyer to translate.

Alot of people don't haul much below the Pre Green level, maybe hit a few locals instead of 1200 a week to go to some rated show....and show mid week.

Also, it's real early in the year for those Baby Greens, they tend to come out more towards late spring and early summer unless it's WEF or similar.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I have one. I was going to start showing her this weekend but we had two weeks off due to weather so I'm going to wait a little bit. We're planning on going to the locals for the Baby Greens and start showing up to the B shows for the PreGreens by the end of the year.

That's the plan anyways...Although if someone wanted to write me a nice check for her now, she'd be gone!

Yes, that definately matches up with what I've been seeing. I now see why lots of people chose to go to Europe to find this type.

I agree, I have one too. Im holding on to him for a bit.

The plan is to do some local shows, then end with the baby greens at Hits.

I'll probably start to advertise him towards the end of the summer. If he comes home after hits, he'll do the pre greens.

I have a few of them for sale! And always know of a lot more!! We do a lot of babys..breeding and showing them up through..so right now we have at least 3 baby green horses ready to show. :-)

I use the baby green division strictly to get mileage on my youngsters. In my neck of the woods, it's at 2'6" and the jumps are less "decorated," although the distances are set at the pre-green level. It's a great way to get the kids out for a season, let them get used to hauling, living on the grounds, show hub bub, braiding, small courses, etc. Dragging them around 1 or 2-day local shows just doesn't give them the same environment. I will usually start with them at Thermal for 2 to 3 weeks and will show them perhaps half a dozen times more through the fall. I've had very good luck with this program.

What does the baby green division consists of in terms of horses with show experience?
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Default baby greens

You might check BigEq.com in the Prospect section. Also, most "three year olds" aren't actually three yet! But some have been started under saddle lightly and their price is generally, not always, less at this stage as already discussed. I've been able to find lovely hunter prospects going well under saddle in this area of N. Va./Md. for from 20K to 25K and sometimes less than that.

We have at least 5 NICE Baby Green prospects ready to go. Way too many to actually be able to drag them around and show them all! We also don't like to show them too many times in the Baby Greens as they start losing their form over those low fences. At this point in the season I'd say 25 would take any one of them.

Thank you so much for all the responses. It does seem like this type of horse is a bit harder to find then the already showing/going ones. But I'm not going to give up the search

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    What does the baby green division consists of in terms of horses with show experience?
    It's not a nationally recognized division so the specs vary from show to show. Generally though it's set at 2'6" and limited either to horses in their first year of showing or to horses that have not shown at heights over 2'6".

We have one-going, showing, and for sale.
    www.FLSportHorse.com - Free Classifieds for Florida Horses & Ponies.
    Ridge Point Stables - Hunter/Jumper show barn in Central Florida
    http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/p.../HunterJumperz

Chad Keenum has some horses. Check out CK sporthorses.com. He has many for sale that are not even posted to his website.