The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Can I get a jingle or two? Post-surgery Update 2-5-10

Had a stop in my lesson last night. My fault. I exited stage left, landing on my left rib/shoulder ON the ground line. I heard my ribs crack. I then drove myself to the ER--dumb, yes, I don't need more people to point that out!

I broke my humerous up next to the shoulder, and a few ribs. I'm seeing an ortho today (I hope) to see if a surgical repair is needed--most likely is, says ER doc. I'm in just a sling and a lot of pain

I have a small farm to take care of, I'm a teacher and this really hurts. Pain meds coming back up as soon as i take them. ugh. I'm in a full blown pity party right now.

Why do I do this stupid sport again? And, typing by hunt and peck is really hard! how long do broken ribs last?

Monday: Met with surgeon. Now I know why they referred me to the "shoulder expert". Mine is "exploded" into 4 pieces--the worst thing possible. Best case scenario they can slide them all into place and pin/screw. Worser case--maximum invasive with plates, screws, pins, huge incision. Worst case--I've cut off the blood supply (evidence on xray already) and the humeral head will die and I'll need a shoulder replacement.

Most awful thing. No more jumping. Probably no riding. If I hit it again, then what??! I'm sobbing as I type. Which really hurts, since my ribs are broken. I'm in the throes of a major pity party. WAhhhh...!

UPDATE! Home from surgery. Stayed the night in the hospital- an excellent decision. Thanks to all the jingles and prayers, I was able to have the simpler repair!! Very sore, very high on various drugs, covered in happy cats and dogs. Again-thanks for all the kind words. My first stop out of the car was out to my barn, to snuzzle my dear Calvin. Horse breath is the very best medicine.
    Last edited by Calvincrowe; Feb. 5, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Longer than you want to know.

Jingles from someone who's been there!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

OUCH! Jingles from Florida.

Do you have any friends or family that you can ask to help out with some of the chores while you heal? I can't even imagine how you will be able to do anything in the barn until you are healed.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

oy! jingles!
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Pain meds coming back up as soon as i take them. ugh.
    go get different meds - third time was the charm for me. some of the old standbys for other folks just do not work for some people.

ouch doll. i've broken my clavicle and dislocated my shoulder in a similar fashion. you've got VA jingles coming your way.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Thanks guys! Yes, mr. cc is ok in the barn, and SIL can lend a very capable hand. But I'm looking out the window at my two old horses willing myself to not go check up on mr.cc's efforts.

Good thing my fist jumper show entry is still sitting on the counter, ready to be mailed.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

CC, jingles! Hope you find some pain meds that work!

When I cracked my ribs it was very painful for weeks. Pray you don't sneeze or develop a cough... so painful, as is yawning, as I'm sure you already figured out.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Oh, so, so sorry!! Jingles that you heal FAST!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Awwwww....

Sorry to hear this. Lots of Jingles.

Oh dear! Jingles that you get put back together and heal quickly. I second the suggestion to ask for a different pain med - tell your doc the problem and they can find you one that will work for you.

Similar injury, but with shoulder dislocation and incomplete break on rough x-rays, courtesy of a tree we hit while galloping, so no surgery, 40+ years ago.

Took a week before I could lay down to sleep, so slept in a chair.
    Still did all barn chores, very slowly, one handed, no pain pills, no one suggested them.
    Was two months before I could ride at all, three without some pain.
    Took two years to heal completely, but no problems at all after that, for 40 years.
    Now looking at surgery in May to fix what all those years of a less than perfect joint caused.

Moral of this case history, take very, very good care you heal as well as possible.

Go to your plan "B", for if and when you are not able, let others take over and help as much as you need.

Keep telling yourself that "this too shall pass".

One more thought, "a jingle or two" is just not going to cut it.
    You need a basket full of them, that I am sure are coming to you.

Jingles for some relief from you pain and a quick recovery.

Jingles from NC

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I have a small farm to take care of, I'm a teacher and this really hurts. Pain meds coming back up as soon as i take them. ugh. I'm in a full blown pity party right now.
    You are entitled to your pity party. By the way most meds work best if you eat something before taking them. I'm just getting over Bronchitis and the first antibiotic I took had me barfing up my toenails. The doc said I shoulda ate before I took them. Jingles for a swift recovery.

So sorry that you're laid up and in so much pain. Take care of yourself and give yourself permission to relinquish barn duties until you're well healed. Jingles from NY!

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Aww Man! I am so sorry. I know how those kinds of injuries can HURT! I consider myself not to be a weanie most of the time. When I injured myself a couple years ago it was just awful.

I had 20 rescues to feed and care for plus go to work on a daily basis. Needless to say, I had absolutely no sense of humor. In the beginning, sleeping was a bear and taking a shower was a Herculean effort. I always seemed to move wrong!

Took forever to heal and the pain/uncomfortability seemed to become my norm. Then, one day I moved wrong and it didn't knock the breath out of me because of pain. I was HEALED!

But the rest of my body sure was sore from trying to compensate.

Good luck on healing quickly, getting out of pain fast, and get some rest! Jingle, Jingle, Jingle.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

ouch!! i am sorry. i do not know why we do what we do but the fun days are really fun.

Ouch! Jingles for a quick recovery!!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Oh my! Sending jingles from Kentucky!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

JINGLES JINGLES JINGLES JINGLES JINGLES JINGLES