The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I too am one of those people that thought it would never happen to me but I think it did...get one of those emails, I mean!

-------------------------------

This message is from EQUINE.COM and is regarding your ad, Daddy's Money

The following information pertains to an interested EQUINE.COM user about
    your classified ad:

Name: Lanre James
    Address:
    City, State ZIP: ,
    Phone: (234)803-351-7093
    E-Mail:

Comments:

Hello ,

How are you?I saw your advert on the Web about the things you sell,I am
    extremely interested in your Welsh Pony

I am based in West Africa
    I am ready to pay $4200

I will like you to send me an email and also iw ill like to know the
    Conditon of what i am buying from you and also will love to see pictures
    also you can also email me Via the email address above and iw ill get back
    to you asap.

Regards

-----------------------------------------

For starters, our pony is for sale for $4,000 US. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

I did email the person back but what do you guys think?!? My gut is screaming scam, scam, scam.

And again, I have to ask the fact, who falls for this stuff. I can't imagine shipping my horse overseas before knowing I've received the payment in full and have it SAFELY in the bank!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Daventry Farms
    www.daventryfarms.com
    Quality sport horses and ponies!

[This message was edited by Daventry on Jun. 10, 2003 at 02:00 PM.]
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

I too am one of those people that thought it would never happen to me but I think it did...get one of those emails, I mean!

-------------------------------

This message is from EQUINE.COM and is regarding your ad, Daddy's Money

The following information pertains to an interested EQUINE.COM user about
    your classified ad:

Name: Lanre James
    Address:
    City, State ZIP: ,
    Phone: (234)803-351-7093
    E-Mail:

Comments:

Hello ,

How are you?I saw your advert on the Web about the things you sell,I am
    extremely interested in your Welsh Pony

I am based in West Africa
    I am ready to pay $4200

I will like you to send me an email and also iw ill like to know the
    Conditon of what i am buying from you and also will love to see pictures
    also you can also email me Via the email address above and iw ill get back
    to you asap.

Regards

-----------------------------------------

For starters, our pony is for sale for $4,000 US. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

I did email the person back but what do you guys think?!? My gut is screaming scam, scam, scam.

And again, I have to ask the fact, who falls for this stuff. I can't imagine shipping my horse overseas before knowing I've received the payment in full and have it SAFELY in the bank!!

Daventry Farms
    www.daventryfarms.com

[This message was edited by Daventry on Jun. 10, 2003 at 02:00 PM.]
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso

And I guess the other question is, who do I complain to about it?

Daventry Farms
    www.daventryfarms.com

Oh yeah, this is the Nigerian email scam alright. The plan is he is going to tell you he is willing to pay more that the pony is worth. The way he wants to pay you is to send you a cashiers check for $5000. The reason for the check being more than what he is paying you for the pony is because the check is coming to him from one of "your countrymen" and you can cash it and send him the difference between the cost of the pony and the check. The whole time his broken english will be going on and on about how wonderful your pony is and how they can't wait to get it. You will get a cashiers check in the mail however it won't be good. It is a fake and if you have already sent him the difference you are out that money.

The good news is that NO ONE has lost a horse in this scam. They don't want the horse they want the cash.

You can contact your local district attorney or your states attorney general and find out if they have a current investigation into this type of fraud in your state. They probably do and they can advise you of what information they need.

If you just want to have fun and torture them knowing it is a scam you can jerk their chain by keeping the correspondence going with questions like how do they intend to ship the pony to Africa? Because of course you would have to know that before you could sell them the pony. Where are they boarding etc. I believe one BB member got one of these emails and asked them to put the money in escrow and when it cleared she would ship the horse. They insisted it had to be the cashiers check and then she offered to hold it in an account and when it cleared she would gladly ship the horse and the difference. They of course insisted on the immediate pay out and when she said her bank wouldn't do it any other way they let go finally and said what a shame it was that he wouldn't be joining the circus in Europe and how disappointed the people were!

Again, no one has lost a horse to these people, just money to the ones who fell for it. I think it has received enough attention now that most horse owners are aware of it. Thank goodness.

"I drank what?" Socrates
    \"The credit belongs to those people who are actually in the arena...who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions to a worthy cause; who at best, know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, fail while daring greatly, so that their

Wow!! That's unreal!!

Like Gayle said, I would contact the district attorney's office, or the state attorney general. They can do a lot towards catching these people. Maybe even you could be used in a set-up!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif they are able to trace the e-mails to find out where the originators are from, etc.

I think it's funny that the e-mail refers to "I will like you to send me an email and also iw ill like to know the
    Conditon of what i am buying from you"

He doesn't even know what he's buying!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Good luck and keep us up to date with what's going on!

The FBI is tracking these - you may want to call your local office so they can get involved in your "scam"

I love this country!!
    www.foxlairponies.com

the easiest way is to say you are welcome to buy my pony but i only accept a wire transfer and the pony will not be sent until the bank confirms it

Northern VA, USA - where farm land is being lost to McMansions

I've got several of those--I NEVER want to turn away a potential client, I email them back a very polite and nice email giving a bit more info on the horse and the terms I use, one being my sales contract and the other being that we ONLY accept WIRE TRANSFERS that have cleared the bank for sales to foreign countries. Real clients don't bat and eye at that, the others I never hear from again. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com
    Pinto & Colored Warmbloods Stallions
    Liz Hall silverwoodfarm.com Warmblood Pintos

I just received one of those emails, also. I had heard about the scam on the forum, said I quickly deleted it, but I felt very violated. It's amazing how people try to scam you out of your money!
    In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. -Robert Frost

The United States Secret Service is involved in investigating these scams that originated in Nigeria. If you received a letter or email but have not lost any money, you can fax a copy of what you received to 202-406-5031. If you responded and lost money, you can contact the Secret Service by emailing them direct at 419.fcd@usss.treas.gov. I have spent more than 16 years working for a state attorney general and we do not have any jurisdiction to go after these individuals. You can contact the federal government direct. The Secret Service even has a task force that has been set up specifically for all these advance fee type scams. You would be amazed at the number of people who actually fall for these scams.

I can't remember the website, but there's a whole network of people that scam scammers. The goal is to string them along as long as possible, send all the info to the FBI, then laugh at them.

"Personal responsibility went to war with litigiousness and lost"

That is soooo strange! I work for an online high tech store and we flag all order / clients from Nogeria. Unfortunately, there seem to be alot of scams comming out of that country. I would turn in the info to the authorities

"I've got an open mind so why don't ya' all get inside?"
    -Beastie Boys

Founding member of the Standardbred Clique
    *Proud To Be A Canadian Sport Horse Owner*

Here's the next email in the continuing saga. Gayle was right on the money...padon the pun! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------

aventry Farms,

Thanks,
    I am based in Lagos,Nigeria,West Africa.
    I will be willing to buy your Daddy's Money for $4,000
    I hope it is in excellent condition,i appreciate your effort by letting me know the conditions of what i am buying from you.Aspa shipping i have made all necessary arrangement with a shipping company Called Pacific Ocean Airliners they will be on ground to do the pick ,they gave me more information about their packaging they will be in charge of the Crafting of everything .

As regards payment,this is what i am going to do;I have an Associates in the Canada who is owing me $9,800 i would instruct him to make out a money order to you in that amount and as soon as it clears your bank you can now deduct your money from it and send my balance by MONEYGRAM INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER. Although the value of the money order is more than the price of the Daddy's Money but i think i should be able to trust you with my balance.The reason why i am doing this is that it would take a money order sent from over here in africa 30days to clear over there,whereas a money order sent from within the Canada would clear tops within 48hrs.I will also be using part of the balance to pay for the shipping company that will be on ground to do the pick up. So i would like you to deduct the MONEYGRAM charges from my balance.So if my terms are acceptable to you,i would like you to give me your full name address and phone numbers so that i can instruct my Business Associates in Canada to make out the money order to you.Pls get back to me as soon as you get this mail so that i can know my stand.
    Regards,

Daventry Farms
    www.daventryfarms.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by enjoytheride:
    I can't remember the website, but there's a whole network of people that scam scammers. The goal is to string them along as long as possible, send all the info to the FBI, then laugh at them.

"Personal responsibility went to war with litigiousness and lost"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.scamorama.com Hours of reading fun. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

**and people say gov't employees are useless... HA!**
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

You know that place with the nude beaches? Not there.

Wow, I bet they're not just doing this with horses, because that sounds like a form letter you could use to scam people on any high priced item, from horses to plasma t.v.'s... they just don't care what they're getting here, I guess. Although, they probably wouldn't be too sad to get a plasma tv in the bag as well!

Driven insane in the carpool lane...
    Driven insane in the carpool lane...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and send my balance by MONEYGRAM INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone sending money to someone they don't know would be wise to do it by cashiers check or money order NOT by a moneygram wire. If it truly is a scam the con artists avoid federal charges of postal fraud by using the wire service. The government is virutally powerless to do anything about a wire transfer as just about anyone on the other end could have picked it up and good luck proving who that was in a scam.

Daventry: can you post your next response to them? They certainly went thousands above what the usual scam amounts they are seeking in this case. From what I have read they were sticking to smaller differences in price and the money order to increase their chances of success. Sounds like they are getting bolder or more desperate.

I love how they said Pacific Ocean Airliner had given them further information about their packaging procedures! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Just how do you package a pony for shipping? In bubble wrap? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

"I drank what?" Socrates
    \"The credit belongs to those people who are actually in the arena...who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions to a worthy cause; who at best, know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, fail while daring greatly, so that their

why horses i wonder?

Funny.... I just did an internet search and couldn't come up with ANY business named Pacific Ocean Airliners or any variation thereof for a shipping company. Imagine that! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

"I drank what?" Socrates

For all of those that wanted an update:

I found a Canadian and US contact for complaints regarding this type of fraud but neither one of the weblinks work and I've been having a hell of a time figuring out who to forward this to.

My step-dad is a criminal lawyer and got me the number for phonebusters.com and they had me forward the email and all corespondences on to them. Still waiting to here back from them.

In the meantime, my step-dad thinks it would be a great idea to "con the con man" and post everything on our Daventry Farms website for the entertainment of all! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

I think it's a fabulous idea and any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm unrealistically hoping that if I ask for a $200 deposit to hold the pony, I can make some money! Come to think of it, she does need a fly sheet http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Daventry Farms
    www.daventryfarms.com

Ooooh I just knew I liked your Dad! I am with him. See if you can get some money out of them but I highly doubt it.

Hey, maybe the rest of us can play with this guy too. Is the email address in his first one that you posted the copy of valid? If so we can all start emailing him with offers of selling horses to him too.

That could be fun.

"I drank what?" Socrates