The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer Parking

For those of you who have rigs and board, do the facilities you board at charge for you to leave your trailer (and/or truck) on property?

I board my two horses there, work part time at the facility training, and my mother is giving me her old but perfectly functional rig (she's updating) this spring. The managing partner (who is half leasing one of my horses for his daughter - there is definitely no equivalent alternative to my Mareface for her, and I have never said no to extra days, etc) mentioned me paying like $200 a month for me to keep my trailer on property (it's close to 100 acres, so NOT a space issue). I think he may have been joking (I'd be ok with paying like, $25 a month for something that doesn't eat (well, on anyone's dime by my own - and btw will be taking Mareface to shows for his kid), but in case, does anyone else pay? And how much? If I have to pitch a fit, I want to be well informed!

I've always had to pay -- anywhere from $35/month to $50/month. I think $50/month is at the high-end of what's acceptable.

I have never charged a boarder to park their
    rigs on my property.

I have never had to pay, at any barn I have been at over 30 years. They have all had limited space for trailers. IMHO, I would be upset about it. If I have an emergency, the time lost from having to go home and get my rig to come back to the barn would be over an hour. That is valuable time, when there is a crisis.

Granted it is one of those things that I hope I never have to use but I have in the past.

I don't have to pay, but I wouldn't balk at a small fee. Maybe $25 a month. $50 a month? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    I don't have to pay, but I wouldn't balk at a small fee. Maybe $25 a month. $50 a month? No way.
    Ditto. At most barns I've been at, there is either no fee or it's $25. But then again, this is the midwest. I wouldn't be surprised by a higher rate in, say, Massachusetts.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

I've never had to pay a fee to park my trailer (granted I board at the smaller back-yard type of places). I know a lot of places will charge a small fee and I could understand that but it would have to be no more than $20-25 to be fair. Not sure what storage facilities charge now but from what I remember it wasn't much - the only issue w/ that is being able to get to your trailer during the night in an emergency type of situation.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Only once in many yrs and many boarding facilities all over the U.S.. The "one" charged $25.00/mo..

I've never had to pay, though one place didn't have space, but I was able to leave it at the previous place. I could see $25/month, but nothing higher.

I've only seen 2 barns that had trailer parking fees, one was $15/mo, and the other was $50/mo, but the $50 was a covered carport type. The barn I board at I can keep both my truck and trailer out there for free.

my barn does not charge a fee. but i am lucky. most barns around here do charge. i think about 25.00 a month is the norm.

I've never had to pay either when I've boarded. If they have adequate space, seems like a rip-off to me.

I was never charged to park my trailer in the 25 years I boarded my horses.

I don't have to pay, but considering what it used to cost us to keep a boat at a storage facility, $25 per month to have your trailer right there at the barn is a good deal.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

No charge for trailer parking where I board, and we even have indoor parking available in the winter. Growing up, my parents never charged at our boarding stable either.

Nope, never been charged for trailer parking. While barn hunting I saw places that charged $25-$35/mo, which I don't think is unreasonable if space is limited. I'd be willing to pay it, since I have way too much tack and my trailer is my overflow tack room. It's also just so much more convenient to have the trailer right there.

I pay $30.00/month to park my trailer where I board. A parking fee seems to be the norm in my area.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Never was charged at any of the facilities that I boarded at in MA or CT. That may have changed now that the barn owners need to be creative in ways of getting any money to keep the farms afloat. I would have paid a reasonable monthly fee if they required it, as it is better to have the trailer where the horse is in case you need to get the horse to the vet asap.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I've been to four boarding barns over the years, never had to pay to park the trailer.

I've never charged any of my boarders. Frankly, it never occured to me to charge.
    On the 8th day God created the Quarter Horse. On the 9th day, he Painted the good ones.