The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dealing with extreme weather changes?

I am completly at a loss with this weather. I just want it to pick something and stick with it. Tomorrow we are expecting a high of 60 and sunny; Friday we are suppose to have a high of 30 and SNOW!!

How much does this affect the horses? Is there anything I can do to make it easier on their systems. I know rapid weather changes can increase the likelyhood of colic, but why?

GAH! I am so frustrated expecially since our mud was just starting to dry up.
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Do you live in TX with me??!?

I think some are more affected than others by the weather. I'd just make sure that your horse has plenty of water of a reasonable temperature available (some don't like very cold water), and blanket or shelter them appropriately.

If they play and run in the snow, safe to say they are enjoying the weather more than you.

Consistent water temps

Constant access to good hay

Ample turnout- honestly this is where 24/7 is easier-and a run in or wind break

For those who do seem tweaked in the cold, good blankets. for the rest, nothing.

Keep banamine on hand if one seems to get colicky about the swift changes, some certainly do.

lol. Yup I'm here in Ft. Worth as well.

I actually had a horse suffer a mild colic on Monday. I have had two mild colics just this past Dec/Jan and I've never had an issues before. Both were solved quite quickly with a some banamine.
    Monday I blamed it on the moon phenomenon.

This weather is whacked--and it does effect them.
    I don't think it will be as bad as everyone is predicting. It will be in the 40s tomorrow.

Lately, my guys are getting a little bit of beet pulp with their water for dinner. Takes them longer to eat that way also because they spend a lot of time slurping.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!