The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

A vigil is being planned Sept 27,2003 from3pmto9pm,to be held at hopkins park in DeKalb ILL.Help is needed to hand out flyers on this awful so called business. If anyone is interested in helping out or to learn more visit againstslaughter@yahoogroups.com or to learn more on this horrible act on our horses visit www.uan.org or <A HREF="http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/horsemeat" TARGET=_blank>www.kaufmanzoning.net/horsemeat </A> Thank you,Rose

[Edited to fix link... Erin]

[This message was edited by Erin on Sep. 16, 2003 at 01:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by odierose on Sep. 22, 2003 at 05:28 PM.]

A vigil is being planned Sept 27,2003 from3pmto9pm,to be held at hopkins park in DeKalb ILL.Help is needed to hand out flyers on this awful so called business. If anyone is interested in helping out or to learn more visit againstslaughter@yahoogroups.com or to learn more on this horrible act on our horses visit www.uan.org or <A HREF="http://www.kaufmanzoning.net/horsemeat" TARGET=_blank>www.kaufmanzoning.net/horsemeat </A> Thank you,Rose

[This message was edited by Erin on Sep. 16, 2003 at 01:45 PM.]

[This message was edited by odierose on Sep. 22, 2003 at 05:28 PM.]

er..... interesting link

"smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grog:
    er..... interesting link<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, way credible... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_rolleyes.gif

Your link has nothing to do with slaughter plant issues.....

I suspect you know this.
    [i]\"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be wo

The web site for United Animal Nations, if that is what you meant to include, is www.uan.org

------------------
    Don't breed or buy while others die.
    Save a life, adopt a pet!
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Well, it could.... maybe it has recipes on it?

(ok, yep, I'm officially going to hell)

My CANTER blog.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grog:

(ok, yep, I'm officially going to hell)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well I'm going with you, cause I thought the same thing! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

Bloodhorse has an article about the plant rebuilding on their site today.

The slaughter issue, Pro or Con, doesn't change the fact that what Cavel is doing by rebuilding is perfectly legal and within their rights.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I have a question that I always think of when this topic comes up. This slaughterhouse will produce meat for consumption in Europe (according to the bloodhorse article). On every tube of Bute I've ever seen, it says that it is not for use on horses intended for food. Do these slaughterhouses test for substances like that, or is the meat safe once the meds are out of the horses system (after a matter of days?)?

I don't want to touch off a huge slaughter debate, because they always go nowhere, but this is something I've always wondered about.

Flamesuit zipped up to the ears...
    Do you eat meat?
    Do you wear leather? (riding boots, paddock boots, suede knee patches, saddles, bridles, leather tips on bats, etc...)
    Do you sign petitions or speak out against cattle slaughter? Pigs? Sheep? Chickens? Turkeys?
    Do you know HOW horses and other animals are slaughtered?
    OK, bring it on. Like I said, the suit is zipped and I'm even wearing my approved helmet.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Do you eat meat? Yes
    Do you wear leather? (riding boots, paddock boots, suede knee patches, saddles, bridles, leather tips on bats, etc...) Yes
    Do you sign petitions or speak out against cattle slaughter? Pigs? Sheep? Chickens? Turkeys? no
    Do you know HOW horses and other animals are slaughtered? Yes
    OK, bring it on. Like I said, the suit is zipped and I'm even wearing my approved helmet ?

What am I bringing?,and where?

fernie fox
    "I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound".
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Oneonone, as I understand it, bute and other medications never went through the approval process needed to become approved for animal livestock use, since it was not being specifically marketed toward livestock animals. It does not mean it is unsafe. That said, I have no idea how those medications affect the meat animal or if you can test for it.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

I was expecting to get flamed like h*ll because I don't particularly have a problem with horse slaughter and it seems as if a large population of people on this board do. Horses are huge animals and their body parts can be very useful and beneficial to many people in a number of ways. They all have to die sometime, just as we all do, and I think it would be a shame for all the horseflesh in the world to be rotting in the ground when it could be put to good use.
    Now, all of my horses who've passed are buried on our farm because they were raised and kept as companions. If I had a cow or 2 they would be my companions as well and wouldn't go to slaughter. That's not the business I'm in. But I can accept that there are those who are in that business. Horses that are slaughtered are killed humanely as are cattle, sheep, pigs, etc. and I wouldn't sign a petition or demonstrate to interfere with a slaughter house.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif man, that's the one good laugh I've had today too...

well, have fun with the thread everybody! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

My CANTER blog.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JulieMontgomery:
    Your link has nothing to do with slaughter plant issues.....

I suspect you know this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah!! I guess a typo error!! But the correct one does! From there you may be able to see a film on the slaughter process and see how many times the retractable blade has to be used to knock them unconsious.Many times they are not.

MAYBE!!!!
    (ok, yep, I'm officially going to hell)

A horse is not like cattle,sheep,pigs,etc...We raise them for sport,rec and of course racing.They are creatures of habit they depend on us for their needs they trust us.Sending them to slaughter is very tramatic to them,the minute they are herded on the killer wagon.You ought to look up John Hettingers article that I believe was in the blood horse or the Thoroughbred times.The name of the article is where wll all the horses go!His article says it all.helped form blue horse charities,at www.bluehorscharities.com. A horses neck is much longer than cattle,when in the kill chute the horse is scared to death being that is all he smells,he will move the neck ,makes it hard to make ia direct hit! He is in support of H.R. 857.

I was expecting to get flamed like h*ll because I don't particularly have a problem with horse slaughter and it seems as if a large population of people on this board do. Horses are huge animals and their body parts can be very useful and beneficial to many people in a number of ways. They all have to die sometime, just as we all do, and I think it would be a shame for all the horseflesh in the world to be rotting in the ground when it could be put to good use.
    Now, all of my horses who've passed are buried on our farm because they were raised and kept as companions. If I had a cow or 2 they would be my companions as well and wouldn't go to slaughter. That's not the business I'm in. But I can accept that there are those who are in that business. Horses that are slaughtered are killed humanely as are cattle, sheep, pigs, etc. and I wouldn't sign a petition or demonstrate to interfere with a slaughter house.[/QUOTE]

[John Hettinger wrote a excellant article called where will all the horses go,he is a supporter of H.R. 857.
    Why is horsemeat only charged a 5% export tariff.
    Where as american beef is slapped 20%. This can be documented on the usda site!!
    Belgian and the french Co in Texas set up shop here because a majority of our horses are well fed and taken care of.
    A lot of people sell their horse not knowing this guy is a killer buyer.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
    Bloodhorse has an article about the plant rebuilding on their site today.

The slaughter issue, Pro or Con, doesn't change the fact that what Cavel is doing by rebuilding is perfectly legal and within their rights.

_Friendship is Love without his wings_
    -Lord Byron[/QUOTE]

Zipping up flame suit really high and running for cover.

Good. I'm glad they are rebulding.

Not because I think horse slaughter is a good thing, not because I would ever send a horse that route, and not because I don't think it's not a nice way for them to end their lives.

But because the REALITY, not the pie in the sky pollyanna future, but the CURRENT REALITY is that horse slaughter does happen and for my part I'd like that last trailer ride to be a short as possible for the poor creatures. Illinois is a lot closer than Mexico or outer Mongolia, er, I mean rural Canada http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif .

And, I think as a country that we should own up to the fact that some horses do end their days this way. It's alot easier to pretend it's otherwise when the plants are all over the border--out of sight, out of mind.

So as long as there are going to be horses climbing in to trailers bound for slaughter, I'm going to be in favor of their ride being as short as possible.

And for the record, I found that article by Heinrichs?sp? VERY pollyanna. He thinks there won't be an outcry for "simply" euthanizsing racehorses whose careers are over? That the general public won't be just as upset to see the meat man hauling away dead horses who got a needle in the neck than they are seeing live ones go down the road? And that there are homes and rescues just waiting for an OTTB--perhaps he should have talked with some of those who work in those actual fields to find out the reality. Nice idea, and I admire his heartfelt sentiment and beliefs, but his suggestions are just not based in reality.