The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by REH View Post
    Sh!!!t, I'd never heard this--I'll check my bottle and get back to you. It does do a lovely job! Being a vegetarian animal nut, I certainly don't want to be contributing to whale oil consumption--I never even thought to look
    Aw, that is sad. I am a vegetarian too, except for my TACK!!! Can't get around that one unfortunately! All things considered, that cow probably died for someone's burger and not just for its hide.

see comments above, i'd also add if you want a light oil, the Effax oil is THE BOMB. It has beeswax in the oil and doesn't leave any greasy residue. On the conditioners I'd also add Leather Therapy and Akene (which someone else mentioned). Anecdotally, the Belvoir conditioner used to be their liquid saddle soap. Then about 5 or so years ago, they split the product into two, putting out a cleaner, which is more of a degrimer like the Effax product, (both of which are great for de-griming) and repackaged the liquid glycerine as the conditioner. It's great for adding that conditioned shine of days of old, but isn't really a deep-penetrating conditioner.

Can anyone tell I love cleaning tack
    I spent 5 hours today just cleaning and conditioning my tack I love it too, and I have a question for you!

What do you use to shine the chrome/metal pieces on the tack and the outside rings of the bit and stirrup irons?

It looks like the "leather oil" has whale oil and the "ledersoft" that I use does not, but I'll double check the bottles tonight. This might explain why I've only seen the ledersoft in tack shops and not their other leather oil product

http://www.totally-tack.co.uk/acatal..._Products.html

described the different products and lists the whale oil on the straight oil product. I think I'm going to be sick now
    Thanks for posting that link with the description of all the Effax products, I didn't realize there were so many. I think you could probably switch to just the Ledersoft in place of the oil, how different could they be? And its not as if you knew there was whale oil in the product, so don't be blaming yourself. I appreciate you checking on this.

What ever the saddle manufacturer recommends. If they don't recommend something then Stubben, Passier, Carr, Day & Martin. Stick with the better brands.

Has anyone tried the Amerigo products? I love Amerigo Soft Clean, very similar to Effax Leder Combi but it has a wonderful, if slightly perfume-y smell. I have heard their Soft Oil and Soft Balm are equally good but I haven't gotten around to trying them, they are not sold in my local shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Catomine View Post
    Aw, that is sad. I am a vegetarian too, except for my TACK!!! Can't get around that one unfortunately! All things considered, that cow probably died for someone's burger and not just for its hide.
    You'd be surprised.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Flammable? I just bought a bottle too and thought it did a good job, but the print on the label is so small I could barely read the directions, I will have to look more carefully.
    It's on the back label in the lower right hand corner. A little picture of red flames and capital letters "FLAMMABLE."

I'm wondering if it has alcohol in it...smells like it.

I guess we'd all be better off if we started looking a little closer at the labels. And if the ingredients aren't listed, put it back on the shelf.

Castile to clean, olive oil when dry, glyerine to seal/condition. Most days I use a slightly more than damp sponge to take off the dirt (and yesterdays glyerine) and then I go over the saddle with glycerine on a slightly damp sponge.

thnx everyone for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    It's on the back label in the lower right hand corner. A little picture of red flames and capital letters "FLAMMABLE."

I'm wondering if it has alcohol in it...smells like it.

I guess we'd all be better off if we started looking a little closer at the labels. And if the ingredients aren't listed, put it back on the shelf.
    I forgot to look last night. And now that you mention alcohol, Effax Leder Combi, which I love, has a slight smell of alcohol.

black dog farm Guest

The best cleaner conditioner is Stillmeadow Farm Saddle Soap. Not expensive, does a great job, goes a long way, smells great.I got mine @ Cabin Branch in Southern Pines NC and at Country Saddler in Pinehurst NC

Quote Originally Posted by Catomine View Post

What do you use to shine the chrome/metal pieces on the tack and the outside rings of the bit and stirrup irons?
    Bits and Stirrups go in the dishwasher... they come out beautifully clean. Brasso is the best for polishing all other metals.

One thing about tack cleaning that I'm not 100% sure on is how to seal it after conditioning. Do you take a dry sponge and run it over the glycerine bar or a drop of Murphy's and then rub it over the leather? Thanks!
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

I am not the best tack owner and I don't always get to cleaning my tack very often.

My favorite cleaning products:

Belvoir tack cleaner (newest addition); it is wonderful for old, sticky tack. It made my old bridle look so much better.

Castile soap. I prefer it over glycerine, especially when tack is really dirty.

scent a tack (mine is cinnamon cented); it's just glycerin soap that smells good

favorite conditioning products:

effax lederbalsam for very dry tack

olive oil for dry tack, especially tack that needs to be darkened a little

I received my belvoir tack conditioner in the mail the other day. I will try it soon.

Akene is wondeful conditioner. I've borrowed it a few times from my trainer.
    Last edited by akhunterrider; Feb. 26, 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: did not need to subscribe

i've got quite a collection of cleaning stuff. it seems like different products work great on some thigns and then not so well on others. here's what i've got.

- Lexol liquid glycerin cleaner and conditioner
    - this stuff is good on my saddle when it's not very dirty, but i've been cleaning my saddle after almost every ride as of late, so it doesnt matter because it hardly gets dirty.

- kirk's castile soap
    - don't like this on my saddle unless i go for a while without cleaning as it dries out my saddle, but its good if i discover mold in some hiding spot under the flap. i like this for bridles because bridles seems to get dirty almost every day. i don't like using it too much though because it dries the leather out a bit.

- leather therapy spray cleaner ad conditioner
    - i don't like this very much. i only have tiny bottles (free samples) and i use them occasionally in the summer because it has a mold inhibitor that does work

- belvoir bar
    - best stuff. i love it. it works well on everything and works almost as well as castile at cutting through gunk. it never dries out my tack and leaves a nice shine

- effax conditioner
    - eh. i thought this stuff would be great but it's not worth the money i paid for it. it works, but it's a pain in the butt. it takes a lot longer to absorb, and even after i wipe it off really well it feels like it still leaves a bit of greasy feeling on my bridle, and then i find the next day that any dust in the air has clung to my bridle and it's all dusty. i hate using it on my saddle, it seems like it dries it out for some reason, i have no idea why. but ti feels VERY dry after i use it on my saddle and attracts dust. on the bright side, it smells great. i'd be very curious to see if anyone else had this result.

- neatsfoot oil

- hydrophane darkening
    Last edited by superpony123; Feb. 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

bnd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HorsRdr477 View Post
    Passier Lederbalm is the best as a conditioner! I have been using it for many many years. Nothing compares
    couldnt agree more !!!

what about using olive oil as a conditioner? anyone do it?

Has anyone tried Leather CPR?

If so, what is the verdict.

CSSJR

Inferno Guest

Trying to bring my tack back from the dead...or prevent it from getting there, lol. Great suggestions on the cleaning/conditioning..going to pick some new stuff up this week. What 'process' do you guys go through when cleaning your tack? I want to get the best possible semi-resurection I can, haha...Oh laziness and procrastination..

Quote Originally Posted by cssutton View Post
    Has anyone tried Leather CPR?

If so, what is the verdict.

CSSJR
    awful, don't use it. it literally goes stale, too. i have a friend who put the bottle away for a while and took it back out a few months later and it was growing mold! apparently this is very common with leather cpr gross. not worth it, there's no way to get your money out of it, unless you clean hideous amounts of tack all day.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    what about using olive oil as a conditioner? anyone do it?
    I will use olive oil on new leather. It softens it and darkens it up a bit, but sometimes it can really smell bad. I use Akene sometimes (works fine) but have just recently tried the Passier Lederbasalm and loooove it (and it smells sweet too )
    No jumps, no glory...
    Know jumps, know glory!
    "One person's wrong lead is another person's counter canter."
    -Unknown