The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle bridging OK?

In my quest to find a good fitting saddle for Flash Jr's pony, I stumbled upon Les Brown's website thecorrector.net. ***I take everything with a grain of salt*** He is obviously promoting his saddle pad. I always thought that bridging was not a good thing, and you want a saddle to have consistent contact through the horse's back. However, he makes a good point that a horse's back changes shape as the horse moves and of course, a saddle tree does not. Specifically, he indicated that when a horse lifts or rounds through the back, it would fill the hollow spot that we call bridging. I would LOVE to see some diagrams or photos of the muscles in a horse's back as it moves. Any thoughts?

I have seen a "crafty" saddle fitter put on one saddle (the saddle the owner currently owned) on to a horse's back and pronounce that the saddle bridges, then put another saddle (the one she was selling) on the horses back and goose him on the belly so that he rounded his back and then say that saddle fit better than the one the person currently owned!

The saddle shouldn't bridge when the horse is moving correctly. But that sometimes means they bridge a bit when the horse is just standing still on the cross ties.

That website is awful though! That guy might sell more pads if his website could be read.

Yes, I remember that website being atrocious!! However, I do own a Corrector pad (bought used) and my horse seems quite happy with it...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Are you asking if it's true that a well-fitting saddle may bridge slightly when a horse is standing relaxed, but not when working, as the horse's back rounds up? Yes, I've heard that's true.

In fact, I could feel the slightest bit of a bridge by running my hands under the panel of my paint horse's new saddle when he was standing still, but when I put a white cloth under it and rode him in it, the bridging didn't show up in the marks on the cloth. Neither did any pressure points.

Or are you asking about the CorrecTOR pad and Len Brown's *cough* philosophy of whatever-it-is-he's-on-about?

Friend of mine actually got on the phone with Len not long ago when she ws coming to grips with the fact that her old Ortho Flex just wasnt working for her very wide but very short backed MFT. She said it took her forever for him to get his brain wrapped around what she was telling him about the saddle being too long. He kept advising her about the damn corrector pad and the flex panels and the booties and what all and not hearing TOO LONG. So from that and the advertisements I would guess he's got a motormouth, attentional problems, and likely a lithium deficiency, too.