The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Red face Albion Platinum Ultima Vs. Steffen's Advantage

I am trying to decide between a new Custom Saddlery Steffen's Advantage (Signature) or a used (in good condition) Albion Platinum Ultima. They are both about the same price and my horse seems to like both, as do I. Any opinions on which one would be the best one to go with? Pros or cons on either saddle?

Thanks.

Talking Albion

The Albion new cost a $1,000 more then the Signature Custom. The better one that's like new is the way to go. The Albion has an ajustable tree. The Signature is not accoring to their website. The Custom comes in an ajustable style but it's again $1,000 more. The Custom has a eeper seat but they both have a eep seat an neihter is restrictive an they both have the rough tecture leather. I still like my Albion better. Plus Custom is not as goo at fitting as Albion is in Southern NJ.

Sorry about the spelling....my computer has taken a real islike to one of the letters on my keyboar! Guess which one!

If you get the ajustable tree one, they are both great, but I like my Albion better then the Custom Avantage that I owne.
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

Default Albion

I purchased an Albion SLK Ultima last June. I absolutely love this saddle as does my horse. It has a deep seat but you don't get stuck in it. I feel very secure in my saddle and it really made a huge difference in my balance. I had been riding in a Bates Isabelle. Also, as long as the leather is cared for properly, the leather on the Ultima holds up really well!! You can't see where my stirrup leathers are. A friend of mine has one as well that she has had for 3 years and the leather is the same on hers...you still can't see where the stirrup leathers are.

I sat and rode in quite a few saddles before trying the Albion. The minute I got in the Albion it was like I knew that one was the one. Good luck!

j
    Last edited by HollysHobbies; May. 26, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HollysHobbies View Post
    I chose the Advantage...I think that saddle's awesome, particularly if you have a horse with BIG movement!
    That's why I bought the Advantage for my mare! It is really easy to sit her huge trot in this saddle, plus it gives her complete freedom of movement in her shoulder.

I also like the fact that the seat isn't as deep as those of the other saddles I tried and it gives me excellent feel of my horse's movement.

I used to have the Albion SLK Ultima and just recently got the Signature Custom Advantage. The Albion got to where it was sitting down on my horse's spine in the back, and flocking wasn't able to fix it. I really like both saddles, but I think that the Custom sits your leg a touch straighter then the Albion does, but I don't find it restrictive at all. My horse is moving better in the Advantage then he ever has.

The Custom can be reflocked, though I don't know if the Signature line can have the tree adjusted. I had a Custom Royal Star several years that they were able to adjust the tree from a M to a MW - I don't know if they've changed their lines since then or not, though I know that they don't make the Royal Star anymore. It might be worth calling Fred at Custom Saddlery on the East Coast and asking. He's always been wonderful at helping and fitting saddles.

Overall, I like my Custom better, though the Albion is definitely my second choice. I haven't had this one very long, but the Royal Star that I had was used and still in amazing condition, and I've known several people who have had Custom Saddlery saddles for years with out problems or anything other then normal wear.

Are you able to take each on trial? Can you ride in one for a week straight and then do the same for the other to compare? I think that you'd probably be happy with either one honestly.

j
    Last edited by HollysHobbies; May. 26, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

My TB has has fairly good sized withers, though I don't think that I would call them sharkfinned. The Albion really fit his withers pretty well, the issue was that the channel was too wide in the back and would sit on his spine if you put any weight in the seat. Looked like it fit fine from the ground though so it took awhile to figure out what the problem was. My Saddlefitter says that the Custom fits his withers just as well and it doesn't sit on his back.

I believe that Dressage Extensions has the Advatnage on sale, though I don't know that they would do fitting. Custom Saddlery does keep some used, but you usually have to call to see what they have.

Default Albion

I will say that I ride a VERY shark finned OTTB in my Albion and it fits him very well. Not every horse is the same so every saddle will fit every horse just a little different. If you can find one to demo, I would highly suggest it.

I have just bought a fantastic second hand Platinum and am very happy with how they fit and how they can be changed. I was also looking at the Anky Pro one as that has exchangable gullets that appeals to me as my mare is only rising 4 year and has a lot of changing yet to do.

Talking Eeny Meeny Miny Mo

It's a tough one. They are both nice saddles but the signature version of the Advantage is an off the rack tree size and not adjustable...that is why it is only in the $2,000 + price range. The fully adjustable tree Advantage is around $3,500....the same as an Albion SLK with the Ultima (buffalo type leather).

The Advantage has a slightly cut back pommel which is great for a high withered horse. The SLK comes with either a low or high head tree....which means that the high head is great for a high withered horse but some riders don't like the feel of it. I have this model and love it and so does my OTTB. He has decent withers but not overly high. I find the Albions seat not quite as deep as the Advantage but they are close and again....neither one is restrictive. You really do need to demo both of them to be sure.

I bought my Albion SLK used from Rick's Heritage Saddlery for $1,400 (was listed for $1,900 and I made an offer the owner accepted). My Custom Saddlery Advantage I bought from their store for $1,500 used. Hope this helps.

I have an Albion SLK and absolutely love it, but have not tried the one from Custom Saddlery.

Talking Used Albion & Advantage

There are a ton of used Albion SLK Ultima + on Fine Used Tack's website.....also, there is a used Custom Saddlery Advantage (the adjustable model) on Ebay in an 18" seat for $2,800. I believe both these saddles are returnable...I know Fine Used Tacks are and I think the Ebay one will let you return it after 7 days...it's also at a tack shop with a 100% good Ebay rating. Have fun.