The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    generic alter Guest

Default Euthanizing the dangerous horse

i'm posting under an alter because...well...why does anyone post under an alter?

has anyone here gone through this or done this? i've got an appt for my horse on thursday.

i've had this horse for many years. he just doesn't get it. i've worked with trainers, nutritionists, vets, farriers, saddle fitters, chiro, massage, animal communicators, you name it i have done it for this horse. he has always been difficult. lameness issues prevent him from living up to what i had hoped for him in terms of riding but i'm ok with that. i was happy to keep him a pet and have done so for the past few years. thing is he is dangerous to work around and lunges, charges, strikes, kicks, bites, you name it. he does not get it from one day to the next. every day is a new day to test his dominance and place in the herd and every day it is a battle. he is not only like this with me but other people and also other horses. when he's in turnout with other horses he comes in with bite marks because he just doesn't get it and learn his lesson that he has a place and his place is not #1. working with him and around him requires constant vigilance and a nose chain and a whip or some sort of distraction so that you can get your work done.

i cannot in good conscience sell this horse or give him away - who would want a dangerous horse that isn't rideable? i fear that he would meet an abusive end or date at the auction.

he has charged and run over my dog, bitten two people, given me a black eye, and yet i've been trying to work with him.

when is enough enough? i think it is enough.

I think it's enough, too. God bless you for trying, but it's time to let him go before anyone is seriously injured. Better to euthanize him yourself that let him go someplace else where his fate would surely not be a happy one.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

I'd agree....you've done your best, you've called in the pros. It is what it is.

It's enough.

I'm sorry.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

While I feel for you, as this couldn't have been an easy decision...I have to wonder why you're asking this question here. Euthanizing a horse is a 'one way street' - either you do it, or you don't. Are you still 'second-guessing' yourself? If you are, be prepared for all kinds of armchair advice, as I'm sure you know will come.....

Again, I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Sorry you have to make this choice, but better to get it done before he finally hurts you. You gave it your best shot, so then you should rest your mind about your decision for him.

Some animals you just can't make better, and he sounds like a classic case. My hat is off to you for making the best choice. Don't second guess yourself or allow others to make you doubt yourself or feel guilty. Hope everything goes smoothly on the day.

For what it is worth, I think you are doing the right thing and that you have tried way harder to make things work than most people would have. Hugs for the decision you had to make, but sleep easy knowing that you tried your best.
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

generic alter Guest

TB maggie, of course I'm second-guessing myself. i am talking about ending the life of an animal that i had hopes for...not even for riding (although that would be nice) but for enjoyable companionship. who ever goes into a horse partnership wishing for this kind of ending? i am prepared to care for all of my horses until it is their time and have had retirees until the age of 30.

i guess i was just hoping to hear from others who have been through the same thing.

i don't want to risk anymore getting hurt or having loved ones get hurt or farm visitors or people who may want to stop by and pat the pretty pony. i know logically it is the right thing to do. i just wish it didn't have to be so.

100% behind you.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

I think it would be the brave thing to do. The responsible thing. Any coward could just send him to a sale and wash their hands of the whole situation.

You're lucky you haven't been seriously hurt.

Do it and don't feel bad. You exhausted all your resources trying to resolve his issues. Some horses just aren't fixable or are too dangerous to try to fix.

Enough is enough. You are doing the right thing.

i agree that you are doing the brave thing. i certainly would not want to be in your shoes because even tho it sounds like the right thing it is so hard to say today is the day. i feel for you and wish you easier days soon.

And fingers crossed that no one comes on here and suggests "donating" him to a rescue / Parelli / et.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Do it. Get it over with! Don't look back!

Too many horses out there are not safe, sound or happy. Instead of keep them around and play tip toe, eliminate them to end their suffering and to keep others safe!

I have done it. Not too crazy about it! I did it. I do not regret my decision. It needed to be done. Horse was not happy in his own skin, let alone with people.

It was hard and still is. He was gorgeous and had his good moments, but he was not salvagable. I took responsibility. I had him euthanized. I do not regret it!

Good Luck. Proceed carefully. Do not let your guard down in the last moments either. It could get rather difficult if horse is that bad. It was for me and the vet.

generic alter Guest

oh no, coreene...i wouldn't go for donating him or giving him up to someone else because ultimately i would not know what might happen to him. better for him to spend his last days happy in the pasture and eating alfalfa than to be sent to an auction and/or end up on a meat truck or starved to death.

thank you for the support, everyone. i guess i just wanted a shoulder...

"You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run."
    It's the right thing to do. Do yourself a favor and don't tell everyone because some nitwit will hurt your feelings and you are right.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

You've gone way beyond the call of duty for this horse. I support your decision and hope it goes uneventfully. Good luck and thank you for doing the right thing.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Behind you 100% Have had to do it to a 4 yr old home raised filly. Everyone was sad, but better off, including the horse.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Wanted to add that I'm so sorry it's come to this. Hugs to you for doing the right thing.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

I agree with everyone else - it is the right thing to do. You've tried & tried with him, but ultimately you can't risk someone getting seriously hurt. Putting him down will weigh far less on your conscience than a serious but preventable human injury would.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.