The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please tell me about Quit ...

Does it work? If it does stop wood chewing what is in it that makes them stop? Is it safe for bored weanlings who want to be beavers?
    Riot Farm

It is a vitamin/mineral supplement that treats a deficiency that can cause wood chewing. So, if there is a deficiency it will help. It stopped my OTTB from wood chewing in under two weeks. However, if your weanlings are just really bored then using a mesh wrap around the trees is probably your best option.

If the wood chewing is due to a magnesium deficiency, then it *can* help. Otherwise, don't count on it. It doesn't cure boredom

It worked within a few days for Cloudy and Callie when I moved to a barn that had some mold in the fencing and they started chewing.

I've since used it for Cloudy when he, very impressionable WB, chewed wood because a weanling in the stall/paddock beside him chewed the partition.

I have used it before and it worked, what about getting them a jolly ball?

Default So if it's magnesium,

would Quiessence work just as well? I have some of that in the tack room. Babies get a ration balancer, I'll have to look at bag to see how much mag they are getting. Mind you they have the largest field, 10+ acres, a fresh round bale not 20' away, but this one section of fence near the gate is apparently irresistible. The other day I took some anti-chew/crib spray out, but it is SO gross I can barely stand it. Can't believe I actually paid for something made of rotten eggs, (that's really what the ingredients are) it is so foul that several horses wouldn't come into the barn after I sprayed some of the wood partitions!
    Riot Farm

I used it for several months for my Thoroughbred. It "sort of" worked.

After the third month I found that he was still recreational-chewing sometimes and I couldn't afford to keep feeding the QUITT. I paint the wood with a stinky no chew instead.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbkmc View Post
    would Quiessence work just as well? I have some of that in the tack room. Babies get a ration balancer, I'll have to look at bag to see how much mag they are getting. Mind you they have the largest field, 10+ acres, a fresh round bale not 20' away, but this one section of fence near the gate is apparently irresistible. The other day I took some anti-chew/crib spray out, but it is SO gross I can barely stand it. Can't believe I actually paid for something made of rotten eggs, (that's really what the ingredients are) it is so foul that several horses wouldn't come into the barn after I sprayed some of the wood partitions!
    Try a block of Sulfur Salt. Sulfur is the only unique ingredient in Quitt - the rest is just various normal minerals and such. If you have already balanced your horses feed, Quitt will just throw it off again.

Any livestock supply place that can spell "cow" will have it. A 50# block runs 8 or 9 bucks. Some carry the 4lb blocks also if you really need something in your stalls.

IME horses get sulfur cravings various times for inexplicable reasons. They will chew or lick dirt or other weird things for a while and then, just as quickly, stop all these weird stuff.

They may attack your sulfur salt blocks initially and then ignore them for months and months, only to attack them again at some future time. But it is a very cheap easy way to save your fences.

It may be something totally different and this won't help. But you will know right away if it works.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Default Sulfur salt sounds interesting,

I've never heard of it but will try. We have tons of cow stores around. Occasionally in late winter I buy those mineral blocks (not salt) from TSC and the horses eat them in a day. Makes me wounder if they are candy or really just needed.
    Riot Farm

Well the sulfur salt isn't candy. It's just a mineral salt block, but yellow instead of brown. But mostly, it just tastes like salt.

If you look at the ingredients list on Quitt, there are just 3 different sulfur compounds and the regular minerals.

Don't use this instead of their regular salt! But you knew that already!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

It made no difference whatsoever with my TB that chewed wood.

As others have said, it can help correct a deficiency. If there isn't one, it won't help.

The best way to get a horse to stop chewing? Hot wire strung over the wooden boards.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.