The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Armadeus Guest

Default Heat Rash?

Hello everyone. My first post on this forum but I have been enjoying reading here for quite some time.

Any one else post on here from New Zealand?

My question is about my sensitive arab X mare who has again developed what I can only assume is a heat rash under the saddle area.
    Last year we had the same thing. Huge vet bill and no real resolution to the problem. It was right before our Great New Zealand Trek where we go away for a week of trekking.

In the past week, the heat has increased here and evidence of the same raised bumps under the saddle area are again appearing.

She wears a Sensation Ride Treeless saddle with a Skito pad and a Dixie midnight no sweat vent pad.

I am super paranoid about keeping everything super clean as she has such sensitive thin skin. The Dixie pad gets hosed after every ride as does the girth.
    She is either hosed after a ride or I sponge her back & girth area with vetadine (iodine based wash).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadeus View Post
    Hello everyone. My first post on this forum but I have been enjoying reading here for quite some time.

Any one else post on here from New Zealand?

My question is about my sensitive arab X mare who has again developed what I can only assume is a heat rash under the saddle area.
    Last year we had the same thing. Huge vet bill and no real resolution to the problem. It was right before our Great New Zealand Trek where we go away for a week of trekking.

In the past week, the heat has increased here and evidence of the same raised bumps under the saddle area are again appearing.

She wears a Sensation Ride Treeless saddle with a Skito pad and a Dixie midnight no sweat vent pad.

I am super paranoid about keeping everything super clean as she has such sensitive thin skin. The Dixie pad gets hosed after every ride as does the girth.
    She is either hosed after a ride or I sponge her back & girth area with vetadine (iodine based wash).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    check your saddle doesnt need flocking and that it fits her still as this could be presure points where its laying to close to her back or slipping on her back
    go to saddle fitter

Thumbs up Just my 2 sense!

Make sure you aren't washing your saddle pads in anything but dilute non allergenic kinds of soap. Rinse them extra good too!
    I used to wash mine in ammonia diluted w/soap and gave my horse terrible skin problems. When it heats up under the saddle any chemical can give them a skin irritation. I'd skip the vetadine as iodine based things are VERY irritating. Plain water is best. Don't even use any antiseptics or braces or liniments. AND flyspray under a saddlepad can cause terrible irritations.
    Some rubber or plastic pads reflect heat back to the skin and "scalds" them too. But.....raised large lumps are from rubbing & weight. Make sure there isn't any!
    Good luck!

Hi, I have a Sensation (treeless) saddle plus a couple of other treeless saddles. I've used Skito pads for years. I also live in an area that has very hot and humid summers, Maryland, just above sea level. So I've had some experience with what you are experiencing.

First, those lumps on your horse's back are probably actually being caused by pressure. You are using a treeless saddle, the panels in the saddle are foam and the inserts in your Skito pad are foam also. The memory foam used in the Skito pads gets softer and softer as the temperature rises. I can't remember if the foam in the saddle panels is also a memory foam. If it is, then the same thing happens to that foam. So the foam thins in hot weather, allowing you weight to concentrate more on areas of the horses back.

I took my endurance horse team penning last summer, hot day, spent a lot of time just sitting on my horse wartching other riders. Normally I'm moving out at a trot or canter for the majority of a ride but this day I didn't. My horse got awful bumps, the vet called them granulomas. It has taken months for the biggest bump to disappear. On another warm day I went out for a sloooooowwwww ride with some pleasure riders. Same saddle, another Skito pad, hours of horrendous walking, oh, different horse. I found raised bumps on his back later that evening. I've used this saddle and these pads for years and never had this happen! But I seldom do slow riding either.

So I'm talking to the guy who makes Equipedic pads at an expo last weekend. I told him about the bump issue. He quit using the memory foam that Skito and Toklat use because of how it reacts to heat and cold. What he said makes sense when I looked at all the facts of what happened to my horses. The foam in his current pads is a type that doesn't change as the temps change. It keeps the same density.

My suggestion to you is that you either change the type of foam inserts in your pad or switch to a completely different pad that doesn't have memory foam. Also suggest that you connect your stirrups on the Sensation to the bottom of the flaps in what is called the "Endurance" setup. this will distribute your stirrup weight while posting over the entire saddle.

Hope this helps. I finally bought a FreeForm saddle to try as it has a better weight distribution than the Sensation while still being treeless.

Bonnie Snodgrass

Armadeus Guest

You have explained it all extremely well Bonnie. Thank you as that sounds exactly like what is happening.

I will do some investigating as to what is available here and I have also contacted our distributor of the saddles and pads asking for advice.

Thanks again, you have been very helpful.

Sharon