The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: What are the WORST made trailers?

On another thread, folks are talking about the best made trailers--the "mercedes" of the trailer world.

For those of us who can't afford the best, which ones should we watch out for? Which ones are the vegas? (I had a vega when I was 16...died on the side of the road with its engine cracked).
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Thumbs down

Sundowner. ask me how I know..

Shoop. Cheaply put together, rusts faster than a speeding bullet, rattles down the road like granny's ole bones. I'm SO much wiser now and loff my Adam.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Lakota - A trained chimpanzee could do better welding. Tin-Can On Wheels!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

sundowner. the pretty package and high price tag make it that much more dangerous.

Exiss gets a lot of bad press. I saw one out as a display trailer at an Expo that had an entire seam of sheet aluminum that was not welded...it was just missed apparently.

I saw a Collins-Arndt trailer...everything was marginally "spot welded"...which is done to hold things together until you can do the real welds holding everything together...it was so poorly made. Absolute garbage.

I've seen sloppy Featherlite pop-rivets. One with the tail of the rivet between the sheets of aluminum...just lazy (and this was a 1980's trailer I bought new when their quality was better.)
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Belgian View Post
    Shoop. Cheaply put together, rusts faster than a speeding bullet, rattles down the road like granny's ole bones. I'm SO much wiser now and loff my Adam.

I would have said unquestionably Exiss until I saw all the Sundowner horror stories here. But as already noted, the fact that Sundowner is so pricey makes it seem like it should be good. Much more dangerous. With Exiss, it's cheap enough that you should be suspicious.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

And I'm happy with my Exiss, so there you go 6 years into it, too.

Lakotas are bad.

I know several people who are happy with their Sundowners.

Former BO had an Exiss that always had parts breaking and falling off.
    --o0o--

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Dream Coach....only two years old and not one single piece of hardware still attached, lots of sharp edges everywhere....bad design.
    I had an Exiss that literally fell apart at the seams...but the factory repaired it under warranty and its still going strong, at least it has a horse friendly design.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

A Chevy Vega??? I had TWO of them !! I LOVED those cars...but mine died too. I still have an 87 Merhow Very Light. I call it my Pepsi Can on wheels. Not sure if there are any still out there. This trailer would never hold up for a bad loader or rider.

Sundowner, hands down.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Exiss and Sundowner. Maybe it's appropriate the word "downer" is in their name?

I actually really like my little 2-horse Exiss. I've heard bad things about the larger Exiss trailers, but I really like the one I bought. It's an 02 or 03 model I bought used. It just tucks right in behind my truck and down the road we go. From the things I've heard, it's kind of all or nothing with Exiss.

Now Sundowner.... wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole after my first experience with them. I sure did love that trailer -- if only is hadn't been such a POS.

The WW 4-horse/stock combo that's been sitting in my yard unusable for many years was a POS.

The door to the under-manger tack compartment wouldn't stay latched, the floor rotted out because ALL the rain that fell on the top ended up on the floor (really bad side design), and the one time I was obliged to ride in the back with the horses the wind/noise was like being in a tornado.

And there was something else screwy with the wiring but I don't remember what the problem was. The paint was peeling, cracking, and fading within a year as well. Somebody also told me that WWs aren't painted or treated underneith, but I didn't crawl under it to find out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Actually, we love our Sundowner 740 head to head. Certainly everyone has different experiences, but we haven't had any issues at all with ours. There are hundreds of Sundowners around this area, and we see lots of them at the various shows we're at throughout the year. When we were shopping for our current trailer, we went around at a couple of shows and asked people of all various makers how they liked their trailer, what they didn't like about it and what they did like about it. By far, the Sundowner owners raved about how well their trailer has held up. The Bee, Exiss and Featherlite owners weren't so kind.

Also a very content Sundowner owner here. Trailer is examined annually for the particular weaknesses known in older models - mine is 2004 Sunlite 2H GN.

Have a 93 Sundowner that I bought used. Love it.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.