The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Russell Gardens Guest

Default I Miss the 50's on Long Island

I miss the Walsh stables in Great Neck. What great people! Jim and Molly with James Jr. and Tommy; who later became a steeplechase jockey for his uncle, Mickey Walsh.

Mickey Preger and I would be at the stables every day after school; exercising jumpers, riding down Lakeville Road to the Vanderbilt and Guest estates and hacking through the woods; which seemed endless.

Going to the L.I shows with our fellow riders. The Oaks Hunt.

Sarah Cavanaugh, Fiona Fields, Sonny; who rode for Bernie Mann (Riviera Man) Tommy Walsh, Carolyn Arcaro (Edddie's daughter). What magical times and memories.

Joel

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

and I miss the 60's , , riding Harry Wisefields Diamond Cutter and 18KT in Old Westbury, the Nassau / Suffolk trails , shows at Old Mill , Jericho ( those could get wild in the winter) , Middle Island, Hollandia farms, Thomas school, CW POST , Such childhood memories..

And I miss the 80s. early 80s was Mrs. D's working off lessons in middle school. then Melody Farms and Mr. Brinkman, trail riding for hours, "the boy scout field", Thomas's (my friend boarded there) and their teeny tiny indoor at their winter shows, Old Westbury, Old Field Farm ...

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    and I miss the 60's , shows at Old Mill , Jericho ( those could get wild in the winter) , Middle Island, Hollandia farms, Thomas school, CW POST , Such childhood memories..
    Old Mill (recently rebuilt),Middle Island, Hollandia Farm ( being rebuilt), Thomas School, CW Post are still present and accounted for.

Shows still run at Middle Island ( now Island Hills), Thomas School and CW Post ( now North Shore Equestrian Center)

Quote Originally Posted by Meshach View Post
    And I miss the 80s. early 80s was Mrs. D's working off lessons in middle school. then Melody Farms and Mr. Brinkman, trail riding for hours, "the boy scout field", Thomas's (my friend boarded there) and their teeny tiny indoor at their winter shows, Old Westbury, Old Field Farm ...
    Melody Farms is now Stanhope.
    Thomas's indoor ring sure didn't get any larger, it's still there and being used for winter shows.

Count me in! It was the '60's for me - hacking to Hollandia Farm for shows, CW Post, Melody Farms. The most special memory was trail riding to Shep Jones Lane and picking raspberries while carrying coffee cans on horseback. We had to cross route 25A to get there! Those days were definitely magic!

Default Late 50's and early 60s

Oh yes, Long Island was a wonderful place in those days. Before the LIE brought people out to the Island.

I used to ride my horse out of Melody Farm, all the way down to Northern State Parkway, go under it, take a trail that went past a 1700's cemetary, pick a few carrots in the field, then continue through trails (a boy or girl Scout camp maybe?) come up behind Thomas School cross into a field, and continue down the road to Rice Farm (which had belonged to the Jockey Ted Atkinson) and the TB farm across the street Froelick's which once had a half mile track with red and white railing. Then wind my way back through the Stimson Estate and back to Melody. took about 4+ hours, it was wonderful. Many of the fields were Potato fields and had access dirt roads and no one cared if we rode our horses on them. Great days.

Years later, I rode out of Old Mill cross 107 and into the Old Westbury Estate. I was schooling a nice horse that later went to Bernie Traurig. I remember riding him down to one of those steeplechase fences thinking it was about four feet, only to find it around five feet, and we sailed over it. The horses name was Kay-O, lovely bay TB horse.

The years of riding through Piping Rock and the Planting fields were wonderful.

the horse shows were a great joy, but watching Piping Rock Stable closing, and watching Old Mill go from a show place to what it was in the late 60s to what it was, when I left in the late 70's, was sad. Knowing that Hollandia is not the size it once was. Nor is Melody. I first saw Melody farm in 1958, it was huge, then along came the High School and gradually it shrunk. Very sad.

It is great to be in the Maryland, Virginia area and have lots of open spaces to enjoy.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorsefilly View Post

.. and watching Old Mill go from a show place to what it was in the late 60s to what it was, when I left in the late 70's, was sad.
    Old Mill today:
    http://nassauequestriancenter.com/category/gallery/

Smile

I loved the shows at Thomas's and Old Field Farm..... and the Middle Island, By-Way and Salt River shows. There are a ton more I just can't remember the names of.........

Quote Originally Posted by myforx4 View Post
    I loved the shows at Thomas's and Old Field Farm..... and the Middle Island, By-Way and Salt River shows. There are a ton more I just can't remember the names of.........
    Old Field Farm ( site of North Shore Horse Show ) has been renovated and is being used for shows again.

http://www.oldfieldfarmltd.com/restoration.htm

Salt River farm is still in operation and they still run shows.