The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Having trouble staying with the jump.

I'm having some issues staying with my green geldings jump. I've noticed it shows up the most through grids and on the occasion an oxer. His jump is not very round but he really pushes himself up then over. This happens when he is really sucking back at the fence. When I keep him really infront of my leg I have no problem sticking with him and we come out with pretty smooth jumps. It doesn't seem to affect him unless I get really popped out of the tack and hit him in the mouth (Which I do not want happening.) Tonight was grid night and while we were fine over the second fence, the first fence he would suck back get really round and I'd get popped up and could feel my lower leg slipping back.

Any tips/exercises to help. I'm up for anything to make the boss's job easier.

Oh yes, I am very familiar with this problem being 5'3 with short Japanese legs......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpC9_8gIyA

Enjoy at my expense!
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbyHorse101 View Post
    I'm having some issues staying with my green geldings jump. I've noticed it shows up the most through grids and on the occasion an oxer. His jump is not very round but he really pushes himself up then over. This happens when he is really sucking back at the fence. When I keep him really infront of my leg I have no problem sticking with him and we come out with pretty smooth jumps. It doesn't seem to affect him unless I get really popped out of the tack and hit him in the mouth (Which I do not want happening.) Tonight was grid night and while we were fine over the second fence, the first fence he would suck back get really round and I'd get popped up and could feel my lower leg slipping back.

Any tips/exercises to help. I'm up for anything to make the boss's job easier.
    Lower everything until both of you are more relaxed and fluid.

CSSJR

I have been riding two horses with very powerful jumps (a hunter and a jumper) and when the fences go up, sometimes I'll get jumped out of the tack if I'm not careful! I've found that if I'm super tight in my tack, it's easier for me to stick with them... which sadly means lots of no stirrup work. I grab mane, cram my heels down and just do my best to stay out of their way.
    "It's about the horse and that's it" - George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Oh yes, I am very familiar with this problem being 5'3 with short Japanese legs......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylpC9_8gIyA

Enjoy at my expense!
    That was most enjoyable! Thank you for having such a self-deprecating humor...we have all been here at least once!

The fences are 2'6 he does this mainly when they are x's and 18". At 2'6" He rocks back more on his haunches and I can stay with him fine.

My trainer basically told me to do the same HunterEq. which hey it works

Typically this isn't a problem for me which is why its fustrating on my flat (But cute) jumping hunter I can just sit and wait but the boss takes a bit more work..But he's worth it

That's babies!! Fun, isn't it?

Heels down, grab mane, eyes up. Sit back a little and don't jump ahead. Greenies can jump the same fence 10 times and the 11th they think it's brand new. The first few fences each session on my green mare always prove to be interesting but by the end she has settled and jumps like a horse instead of a deer.

Maybe canter poles/placement poles would help teach him a rhythm through a small grid or just in general. I also tend to hold for a nice spot but my mare starts to fishtail. I've found moving up out of the corner helps keep her body in a straight line and under control.

Have fun!!

Gah the babies are no bueno, I never had this problem with my hunter was always such a doll. But the boss whilst very talented is hot headed and enjoys tormenting me with great jumps then icky ones.. (;

He loves the canter poles, we make courses out of them, its how he's learning his jumper turns. He gets really hot over them though and we must learn to relax. He's getting much better though.