The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So is EVERYONE going south?

I was driving along I-95 in CT and passed a caravan of three good sized rigs with MA plates heading south. The drivers all looked happy, despite the really nasty weather. I felt a pang of excitement for them... and then the sadness sunk in that I was not going along too. Sigh.

Well, I headed south, but I did so on a permanent basis (at least for the next four years...). So while it's wonderful right now, I'm pretty sure I'll be jealous of you come August !

Not I.
    Click here before you buy.

Not me
    Dreams of going south again someday keep me a bit warmer, but not much
    -Jessica

I always dreamed of going south, went a few times through highschool...eventuallyI just ended up moving here! Ultimate solution to always wanting to be south...now if funds would magically become available so I could SHOW that would be perfect!
    ~SeeStar Eventing~
    Seefari - OTTB
    Pepperjack - Paint/TB
    Reese Elliot & Cheddar Noodle -Official Squirrel Patrol

Me neither.

I'm there in spirit.

Default Soooooo looking forward to heading back

I sent the little horse back months ago and we intend to follow. We moved to MA, thinking it could be a forever type possibility.

Sorry y'all, it just didn't take.

We're now counting down the days until we move back to Carolina Blue Skies.

I would love to be there December/January - March, but I don't think I would be able to handle the Summers though!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I'm looking at a lease on my house till it sells and leaving early March. I love Maine for a lot of reasons- but the cold and mud season instead of spring has me worn down. I want to ride year round. Maine has started having those 90degree 90% percent humidity days, but not often enough to get used to it.
    I'm sending out my resume, anyone know of groom openings give out a shout!

Not this worker bee. Besides, I LOVE midwestern winters.

Me. I am. Going to Aiken on Saturday. Till Fair Hill in April. However, the weather map 10-day forecast shows Virginia getting a "major snow storm" on my travel day. Which doesn't bother ME, being from the great cold state o' Maine, but most folks in DC, Balto, VA don't know how to drive in the snow so chances are the roads will be full of skidders and sliders. So, do I rethink and go a different day? Can't, really, as I'm meeting and greeting the bus with the other ponies on it when they arrive.
    SUCH a problem...which day should I go to Aiken. Gosh. Life is tough. Sorry you guys can't come down. It is a heavenly place.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I am stuck in the land of mud and cold and not riding once again....

We were supposed to go to Aiken. Unfortunately, I fractured a tooth, which will require a crown. We just paid off three huge Vet bills for two of our cats. My DH just retired. He could start getting his retirement check in March or it could be May. Finally, I was planning on keeping Tess with one of my dressage instructors' students. She has had a family emergency and may not get to go, either. I am praying that her relative will get through this emergency.

So, Spring Bay will have to be my first event.

I can still dream of going to Aiken, next year.

Not really, could never afford (nor do I have enough vacation time) to take off for a month or three... I don't know how people do it if they aren't a pro

I am going down Fri-Sun for Southern Pines I but I don't think that really counts as 'going South for the winter'
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

nope. Although technically I am kind of south already...in Virginia! But we have had our fair share of unacceptable weather!

I'll bet they did look excited!!

I sent Mick to Florida for about 6-7 weeks one winter with Hannah Burnett (during her pre-OCET days).

She worked him and then I flew down for the last week, took lessons, schooled XC at Longwood, soaked up the sun then drove him and another horse home.

It was a very. long. drive. 13-14 hours driving hard from Ocala to Kentucky in a noisy, older F250. (I love my truck, but not for 13 hours straight)

I'm sure if you could compare photos of my face on the way down versus on the way back the difference would be remarkable.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole "how do you afford to take time off work for part of the year" thing as well. However, I can't complain -- I LIVE in the South. My pony lives in Southern Pines. He has it better than me .

If anybody wants to come south, I'd love the company! You'd have to stay with moi on Fort Bragg, but your pony could come and live with mine...
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I just moved to a barn with an indoor, so I'm looking at that as my own personal Aiken. It's been great not having to ride in the wind/rain/ice, but I miss my trainer and I'm sure I'll be jealous when my friends go down next month!

eventer_mi, my friends who go are mostly self-employed or students. I do think I could swing the time off from my office job, but it's easier for them for sure.
    "A canter is a cure for every evil." -Benjamin Disraeli

I went to Ocala in 2008 for 2 weeks and 2009 for 1 week, but I can't miss more than a week of school this year. I NEED to see my teachers every day for help. I'm not smart enough to learn new material on my own.

I may try again next winter though. It's fun!
    T3DE Pact

I'm a working adult ammy rider - and this will be my 2nd year going south. I can't go for as long as I like (and it does mean a lot of driving for not a whole lot of time down in aiken) - but it's definitely been worth it. I saved up my vacation time and was able to go for 8 days last year (sunday to sunday) - and this year will be going for 12 days (thursday through the following monday) - but it's amazing what you can accomplish in a short amount of time.

The mid-week HTs at places like Full Gallop make it easier to squeeze in a lot while you're down there. This year, taking 2 horses for 12 days, I'll be able to do 3 HTs and hopefully get in some xc schooling and several lessons I look at this as my big vacation for the year (I'm not much of a sit around on a beach type) - and as a working amateur, it was really nice to have a chance to really focus on my riding (even if only for a week), take lessons when I'm not sleep deprived, watch my trainer take lessons with other BNTs, etc.

Would I love to go south for 6-8 weeks - sure - but with my job, it's just not do-able. However, 1-1.5 weeks is a do-able amount of time to get off, and even with the long drive, it was definitely worth it last year! It was amazing how much I accomplished in just 8 days, and how far ahead that put us when the closer-to-home events started up in late march/early april.
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/