The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's the going rate to have wood posts installed?

I found some 7" half rounds for a steal and am thinking it'd be worth it to pull my Tposts, sell them (I put an ad on craigslist 20 minutes ago and they're already spoken for), and have someone either drive in or auger holes for the posts.

What's the going rate for anyone who's done this? I got in touch with one guy who would auger and backfill and asked him for a quote on 175 posts. $1400! That seems a bit excessive to me, or am I out of line? That's just to install them, I would supply them. I was kind of hoping for around half that amount...
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Well, that's $8 per post. Was he planning on using concrete or stone or anything or just auger, drop the post in and backfill with dirt? How's the dirt around you? Is it full of rock and stone that it's going to take him a while on each hole, or is it pretty easy to get down 2 to 3 feet into? It could take him 5 minutes per hole, or it could take him 30 minutes per hole... that's either $14 an hour or $96 an hour.

I'd call around for a few quotes... never just get one quote and go with it. I also lurk around tractorbynet.com when I'm looking at tractor stuff... you might find someone on there that's close to you that might be willing to do it cheaper. (you know... someone that owns the equipment anyways and wouldn't mind a little side work)

Of course, the alternatives are

1. hand dig the holes yourself using a hole digger
    2. buy a tractor and auger
    3. rent a tractor and auger or self powered auger

We've gotten SUCH varied quotes. The highest was about $12 just to set the post (augered with no concrete and not including the cost of the post) to $3 (same thing- no concrete or actual post). I've definitely found the people who drive the posts in to be on the cheaper end.

I got a quote of $600 for 18 wood posts and their installation, that works out to about $33 a post. Needless to say I didn't use them and am rethinking my fencing

The quote included concrete for the corners and every 100' or so. I live in the mountains and the ground can be rocky, it's also a heavy clay. Digging the posts in for the one paddock I put in was no fun.

There's a big problem around here with finding people to work. I've met so many people who whine that they can't afford their electricity but they will.not.work ,or they want to charge No VA prices and provide low quality work in return. I'll give it a week or so of seeking out quotes (if I even get any more than the one!), and go from there. $3/post would be fantastic but I need to find someone, or a company, with a driver.

Woah, Desert, $33/post?? That's ballsy!

Hmmm shortbus, I do have a handheld post hole digger. Maybe I should just plan on setting a few posts a day while I wait and see if I get more quotes. I also have a tractor, could rent an auger. I wonder if anyone rents out drivers... those things look lethal though!
    Last edited by CoolMeadows; Jan. 25, 2010 at 08:45 PM.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Check the Centaur Fencing Factory site, www.centaurhtp.com, and check
    out their installer/dealer locater. There are several very good ones in Virginia.

You might also put an ad on Craigslist with what you need done and see what
    response you get.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Thanks BasqueMom. It looks like there's an installer 80 miles from me. I'll see what kind of quote I get!

I have an ad out on craigslist already. As long as the quotes are reasonable, installing wood will come out cheaper than the Tpost covers. The posts I found are 8' tall 6"-7" half rounds for $5/each. Pulling & selling the Tposts I already have would really make the project doable... I just don't want to sink them myself. Makes me shudder just thinking about the last time I put in posts!

Great price on the half rounds. You might want to use full rounds, though, for
    the corner and end/gate posts. You need all the strength you can get for the
    corners and ends.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Default Fencing

I used 4x5 PT rounded posts that I bought in lifts from Home Depot at $2.97 ea. I used a Deere CUT with a Woods Post Hole digger and did the 200 odd posts in less than a week. If you were to hand dig the 175 posts it would take you the better part of 2 weeks, 8 hour days. I can't think of a bigger waste of time. $8.00 per post is a pretty fair price. You might do better(by all means look and ask) but I will bet a lot that the "professional" from 80 miles away will charge more than $8.00 per post. Lastly, who's dressing out the posts? Are you? You might ask if the installer will do that.

The big waste of time part is why the original plan was to just keep my current Tposts and install wood corners. What's "dressing out" the post?

I could do about 80 posts/weekend when I rented an auger but I did also flip the Bobcat so.... would really rather someone else does it. I'm sure someone who was more skilled could have put in that many in half the time. $8/post to install isn't a fair enough price for me though so if the quotes are all high the Tposts will stay and get covered.

Where are you that you got posts for that price?? I don't think my Home Depot even has round posts, but a 4X4 square post costs $10-$11/each through them here. Never mind, saw your location. I'll call TSC, Southern States, Lowes and HD tomorrow and see if anyone in this area can come close to that price for line posts.

Dressing out the posts would be to string lines at a uniform height and smooth out the actual ground contour and then lop off the post tops to that uniform height(usually around 4 1/2'). Looks nicer..
    The Home Depot trucks must be passing you by on their way to NE from the south..these are inexpensive 4x5-8foot PT posts that are rounded on the edges....and yes we have 4x4 PT 8 footers at about the same $8-11 too.
    Just recently Home Depot started stocking a really nice version of the same post but a bit more expensive: these posts are fabulous for ripping in half on a tablesaw and then you have a nicely shaped 1/2 round for topping your crosscountry jumps....
    The Home Depot posts come out as spring specials in a month or so. Good luck.

Your price to sink posts can be worse than $33. I contacted a reputable local fencing co, recommended here on Coth, and his price was $100/hour. Based on the amout of time it took the power pole people to sink three poles to six feet (18 feet in about 10 hours) I'm looking at, if I'm lucky, $50 per post, and possibly up to $100.

And this is why I still don't have my perimeter fence up.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Eeep, $50-$100/per post!! Nooo, not going to happen. I checked out Bluey's auger thread and am going to see if any local rental places have them. If they do, that may be the way to go. I have someone who can help for $15/hour.

When I rented the Bobcat with the hydraulic auger, it was before I had my tractor and the ground was pretty dry and hard. The auger got stuck and would.not. come back out. It pulled the Bobcat right onto its nose! Right now it should be pretty easy to sink them. (famous last words, right?)

I'd bless my lucky stars if i could find someone to put the posts in for $8/per. In particular if they're cementing the corners and around every 100 feet. I won't even tell you what it cost me to have some posts replaced. sigh

What Rabtfarm is talking about are the "landscapers posts" that Home Depot sells. And yes, by me, they are around $4.00 each, and I'm sure I'd get a much better price if I were buying a lift of them....it's just crappy wood, but it is pressure treated and they do make some nice solid fence posts, and nice looking ones too.

Welp, we're in business. Got a quote of $500 to auger in, and cement corners and every 100' or so. Done and done!

If they're landscape timbers, I'd pass. I've heard from people that have used them that they tend to warp and rot very quickly. If you're in a rural area, there are places cutting right now and prices are much less than they will be in a couple of months. Keep an eye on craigslist. Last night I found 100 8' 5-6" round cedar posts for $3.69/each.