The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2 yr old ate plastic bag - wtd?

My 2 year old was found chewing on a plastic bag this morning. It must have blown into her paddock from the neighbors yard. We got it away from her, but it was pretty chewed up. We have no idea if she swallowed any or how much. Any ideas on what I should do at this point? Should I just watch her and hope that she passes whatever she swallowed, or should I call the vet now?
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

in the tiny cottage behind three maple trees

I'd call the vet and let him know, and see if he had any instructions for me other than to keep a close eye on her.

Otherwise I'd just watch her very closely. Stupid babies!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

West Coast of Michigan

Be vigilant, keep the hay going, watch the manure. It happens, and usually everything is OK.
    Click here before you buy.

I found a whole mylar ballon (the wreckage of one) in a two year old's poop once. Glad I didn't see it going in, I would have paniced.

Mayerthorpe, AB

I have had it happen, same story, it blew into the pen from the neighbors garbage being knocked over on the curb. I have also had one eat a fabric weight tape. I saw her grab it and yelled at her and I swear she slurped it up like a noodle. Time I got to her I stuffed my hand in her mouth and all I could get back was about 5 inches. Thankfully all passed through without incident.
    Cindy's Warmbloods Cindy's Warmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Wilsonville, Ontario, CANADA

Our hay fields used to grow peppers before we bought the place and the pepper plants were covered in copious amounts of thin black plastic film

I picked up most of it before we planted the hay fields but every cut, there is still some that finds its way into the bales - from what I missed as well as what has blown back into the field

Most I get before the hay is fed, but when I am mucking out, I do still see the ocassional piece that I didnt get

So far - *touch wood* all has been well and it has all passed without incident. It freaked me out in the beginning but you can only do what you can do and thats it!

Beside Myself ~ Western NY

We once had a horse steel half a bag of peppermints, and eat them all, wrappers, bag and everything. We called the vet and he just said to watch him. He never had any ill effects.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Gladstone, Oregon

I found baling twine coming out of the rear on a horse I had just brought home.

Called for advice, and was told to not pull it out, it will come out on it's own. It sure did, and my guy suffered no ill effects.

I was a very panicked 11 year old kid....

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy's Warmbloods View Post
    I have also had one eat a fabric weight tape. I saw her grab it and yelled at her and I swear she slurped it up like a noodle. Time I got to her I stuffed my hand in her mouth and all I could get back was about 5 inches. Thankfully all passed through without incident.
    I don't have any advice for the OP, but I have to say the picture I got in my mind of a horse slurping up a weight tape like that is hilarious. I'm sure I wouldn't think so if I saw a horse actually do it, though!

Staunton, VA, USA

Default It'll probably pass on it's own

But keep an eye on her and the manure.

If it's well chewed it should not cause an impaction.
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

wonder if the sand clear feed throughs might help it pass along? Ask the vet? and get the horse insured in case you need colic surgery!

Libertyville, IL USA

My 4 (coming 5) year old keeps trying to eat the poly track arena footing. It is like fabric. Dumb babies. Good luck.