The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to do with my Elig. Green pony

I'm seeking guidance on the best route for my 2005 medium pony. He is a home bred and has been doing line shows up until 3 years old, when he started his U/S training. He was all set to begin his show career as a 4 year old and do the childrens pony division. Unfortunately, he was injured in the paddock (no lasting injuries) and had the whole show season off until September. At that point we took him to 2 shows, but that does not equal a full season. Over the winter he has been taken off property and acted like a seasoned pro. My trainer has no pony kids to ride him for me, and there aren't any very close. So I'm needing a little guidance on what to do. Although he hasn't done childrens pony, he has a lead change and is ready/fancy enough to go right into green/reg pony.

Options
    A) Keep him another season and put him in childrens pony to make him more marketable for a lease in 2011.

B) Hopefully free lease him to a reputable "A" barn with a somewhat experienced rider (no preference as to the distance he goes),

C) Lease him out at a small cost, but don't be so picky as to the situation he goes into (less experience rider perhaps),

D) Send him to a BN sales/lease barn and hope for the best

For me, option B makes the most sense financially. I'm currently boarding all 8 ponies and although I can afford to campaign him, option B could be a winning option for both myself and a pony rider. It may be difficult to find such a situation though as I am aware of the current conditions and even made ponies are being free leased in certain cases.

If this was your pony, what would you do thats best for both myself and him?

Thank you

www.agresticinternational.com

I agree that B is the best option. My second choice would be D.

If it's the grey pony on your website (Jack?), then he is definitely fancy enough to be competitive, so I wouldn't want send him to a less experienced kid - send him somewhere where he can be shown off!

A seems the best to me, with B coming in a close second. the pony is only 4/5 years old. i know lots of ponies start out early like that, but they will last a lot longer if you give them another year or two before they start showing/jumping heavily, in my opinion. (i know, 2'-2'6'' is not all that big, but still)
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Unfortunately, it seems that good pony riders are hard to find, at least around here. You could send him to me, complete with bill of sale - LOL!!! I am 4'10 and would be hapy to call him my own (joking)

Seriously, B is your best option...if you can find it!
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    A seems the best to me, with B coming in a close second. the pony is only 4/5 years old. i know lots of ponies start out early like that, but they will last a lot longer if you give them another year or two before they start showing/jumping heavily, in my opinion. (i know, 2'-2'6'' is not all that big, but still)
    Eh, I disagree with this. Ponies mature A LOT faster than horses and most buyers take that into consideration. If I had the option between a 5-year-old that has only done the Children's Ponies and a 5-year-old that has done the Greens, I would definitely choose the latter. Give me a 3-year-old and the situation would be different, but 5-years-old, they should be able to play in the real rings.

Thank you for all your imput thus far. I agree with Tha Ridge in that as a 5 year old he is mentally and physically mature enough to handle the 2'3"/2'6".

I'll start working at looking for options along the lines of plan "B".

If plan B is viable I'd do that. Otherwise have him campaigned in the children's for a year so that when he does debut in the greens you're more likely to win more with a year in the children's under his belt.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "While girls schools are notoriously wild, the true party-hearty girl attends Hollins" ~The Preppy Handbook

Since you have a medium and they jump the same height in greens or regulars, and since the pony market is sooooo soft right now, I'd get him out there, break his green, double division him until he is qualified for pony finals and go on with it. Much more valuable as a proven division pony.

However, if you are in a zone where kids can show in the regular ponies and childrens ponies and could get a good kid to meet you at the shows,maybe you would want to save his green. If you are in a zone where you cant cross, I'd get a better kid doing the division because I'd go for quality miles.

In my opinion, your best bet is to find a seasoned kid rider who can do a year in the children's hunters with your pony. Trainers and parents love to buy a pony that has mileage and is still eligible to do the greens. Your challenge may be to find a barn that is within a reasonable distance from you. If you are willing to ship him south (to New England for ex.) to an A trainer with a bunch of pony riders, you may find a parent that is willing to pay expenses for an extra animal for their kid to ride. If you can manage to find the right situation you can always make an arrangement later to have that kid break the green year, but there is no reason to do that up front. Wait and see if it is in the best interest of the pony to do so. If the pony learns to be a good soldier, it may find a permanent home with that trainer, since it will be a known quantity. That is what has happened at the barn my daughter rides at with a number of ponies. There are seasoned kids out there who have good experience at big horse shows, who might be happy for a project.

Green ponies market is a little tough right now...in the past my greens sold easily and now I'm finding that parents are saying they don't want to have to pay for as many trainer rides. If you can afford to campaign one...let it go and do the division and sell or lease it as a proven division pony...much easier. We are starting HITS with 7 greens in all sizes. Remember you can always do the greens a couple times and if the pony isn't ready, bump back to children's and reinstate the green. I'd be hesitant to lease out a green pony to just anyone...there is a fine line between frying a nice pony and teaching one to be tolerant of mistakes.
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue

It will be quite difficult to find a talented pony kid to do him in the childrens division. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe one can cross-enter from the childrens to the regulars at the same competition. This might just apply to the pony, though?

Anyway, if there is indeed a no cross-entry rule, it would be hard to find a catchrider that would forgo the regular divisions in order to show in the childrens.

I agree with the poster that suggested breaking his green, showing him in the green/regular divisions this year and qualifying for PF. I think a lot of people in the pony divisions are overly concerned with green eligibility. If I were in the market for a pony for my kid, I'd want a pony that I KNOW can do the regular divisions, is young, sound, and sane. This allows you to price the pony according to his limited show record, but for quite a bit more than the unproven childrens pony.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    Since you have a medium and they jump the same height in greens or regulars, and since the pony market is sooooo soft right now, I'd get him out there, break his green, double division him until he is qualified for pony finals and go on with it. Much more valuable as a proven division pony.

PF qualification usually takes more then 1 or 2 shows with one just starting out and double qualifing Greens and Regulars. That seems a bit ambitious for what OP asked about. Expensive too.

Anyway, NO on the free lease unless you really are sure of the caliber of riding, training and the trainer. Ponies are easy to ruin, just like horses. Few takers for that kind of thing anyway when somebody else pays for the training and does the grunt work while you raise the sale price.

In this market, I vote option A. A solid year in the less stressful Childrens Pony lets him build good mileage and get really solid under a child rider. Then you can tackle the Greens and Regulars and PF if you have the mind to do so, and the budget, and the rider.

Too many Greens glut the market right now. Get this one not so Green but still eligible Green by staying in Childrens Pony.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    PF qualification usually takes more then 1 or 2 shows with one just starting out and double qualifing Greens and Regulars. That seems a bit ambitious for what OP asked about. Expensive too.

Anyway, NO on the free lease unless you really are sure of the caliber of riding, training and the trainer. Ponies are easy to ruin, just like horses. Few takers for that kind of thing anyway when somebody else pays for the training and does the grunt work while you raise the sale price.

In this market, I vote option A. A solid year in the less stressful Childrens Pony lets him build good mileage and get really solid under a child rider. Then you can tackle the Greens and Regulars and PF if you have the mind to do so, and the budget, and the rider.

Too many Greens glut the market right now. Get this one not so Green but still eligible Green by staying in Childrens Pony.
    For what it's worth, I agree 100% with Findeight. That is what I would do. I would be very skeptical of a lease, especially a green pony. And double divisioning him could turn into more than you bargained for, milage wise for the pony and $$ wise for you. A somewhat seasoned eligable green pony seems the way to go to me.
    ~*Adult Pony Rider Clique*~
    www.timberrunponies.com

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

Findeight is very wise. Totally agree with all said. No sense to rush the green year. Get him "not so green" to break his green.
    It does not sound like he has many miles under his belt.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

My friend was in a similar situation. Thats actually how we met! She had a super nice medium pony that needed kid miles. I was looking for a pony for my young daughter to ride and show. She emailed me and had us come out to try her pony and see how my daughter rode. He was coming 4 then. We did a free lease on him for a year and while we had him we showed him. Unfortunately, then my daughter wasnt showing anything but walk/trot until the end of our lease, but he still got lots of show miles and got used to all the crazy things kids do (I also had a toddler so he really got desensitized to some things!). I would definitely try option B as it will more than likely work out for you in the long run.

Perhaps it's just the area I'm in (saturated with talented, rideable childrens ponies), but there are SO MANY childrens ponies out there that are eligible green.

One in my barn- top of the line large, well bred, not beautiful (won't model), but the hack winner in any company, super jump, extremely rideable, top 3 in a very competitive east coast zone with only 9 shows, goes barefoot, no prep required... a truly awesome pony. Eligible green. Priced in the low 5 figures. NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER. None. I think 3 or 4 people came all summer to see him.

Perhaps it's just the market. Green horses/ponies are a tough sell these days. Not sure what the solution is, but good luck.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I am in a very similar position as the OP, but with a black, GRP mare. She has turned out to be super ridable, auto changes, good jump, lovely mover, and very sane. I am debating the choices the OP is but also trying to figure out how the different options affect price. Could anyone share any insights on that?
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Possibly, its just my area but in the Northeast, especially this time of year, there are a lot of A shows and the greens and regular ponies go all on one day. The only added expense is the entries and a good one will cover a good portion of it. You can always try it and after three shows if it is still too green, get your green year reinstated.

Not sure about the other zones, but with no cross entry it is harder to find a good kid to ride a green pony in the childrens. I'd rather have a great rider jumping 2 6 than an average rider jump 2 ft. especially since the OP states "taken off property and acted like a seasoned pro. ...... Although he hasn't done childrens pony, he has a lead change and is ready/fancy enough to go right into green/reg pony." Now with there are plenty of ponies that I absolutely would do one year of childrens, schooling etc. . . .