The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Indoor Arenas near Santa Barbara?

Hey guys,

For those of you in California or on the West Coast, you probably know about his horrible storm we are having this entire week. Being that I am located in Santa Barbara, there are just no indoor arenas around here due to the nice year around weather. Do any of you know of any Indoor arenas that allow haul ins (for a day fee)? I don't mind hauling out about an hour or so away, I just hate to have my horse stand in a stall for a week being that there is no safe, non flooded place to turn out and hand walking is limited due to the massive amount of rain. TIA!

canada larga in ventura has 2 indoor arenas for a 25 dollar haul in fee or willowcreek in santa paula has an indoor arena as well but im not sure what the haul in fee would be, you would have to contact the trainer, lotte.

Who has that covered arena a couple miles west of Bulleton (Solvang) on the south side of the road? I knew the guy that built it many, many years ago.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I keep one of my horses at Canada Larga and we do indeed have two covered arenas, one on the small side (think it's 80X100) and a lovely, large one. Nicole Chastain is the barn manager and you can get her number if you go online to www.canadalargastables.com. From Santa Barbara it would take you probably 45 minutes.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

I contacted Canada Larga and Nicole got back to me saying that this week specifically it would be $100 an hour and it would only be one day in the morning. It's going to take me over an hour by the time I get my mare lunged (she hasn't been worked in a week) and I can't justify spending $200 to work her. At that price, I would rather try to take a lesson somewhere.

I will contact willow creek. Any other ideas? Or arenas that drain/dry fairly quickly slash would be rideable sometime this coming week?

ya nicole can be kind of snotty. im sorry to whoever boards there. beautiful facility but cant go there because nicole is just a mean mean person. i thought she would be different when asking for you to spend money with her but apparently shes not, shes just greedy and wants more. typical. anyways, i heard willow creeks indoor is kind of flooded right now . i love lotte though, im moving my horses in with her next month, their facility is amazing. hard to come by covered arenas in our area. im out in ojai so we pretty much have 2 barns with covered arenas, i feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPie730 View Post
    Hey guys,

For those of you in California or on the West Coast, you probably know about his horrible storm we are having this entire week. Being that I am located in Santa Barbara, there are just no indoor arenas around here due to the nice year around weather. Do any of you know of any Indoor arenas that allow haul ins (for a day fee)? I don't mind hauling out about an hour or so away, I just hate to have my horse stand in a stall for a week being that there is no safe, non flooded place to turn out and hand walking is limited due to the massive amount of rain. TIA!

Sorry, don't know of any indoors around here. The place I board at has a lunging barn, but I'm not sure if it's somewhere that's actually rideable. I've been told we can spray it down before we use it so it's not so dusty, but with the ceiling fans, it might be a little low headroom (I could never bring myself to ride my TB in there, I might be able to with my Haflinger.)

Just outta curiosity, where do you board?

What does the ring in the old west parking lot (Mountain View Arena?) look like at Earl Warren? It is elevated a bit. I'll bet the other arenas are lakes.

I remember those kind of rains, growing up in SB. Here in Colo, I have the lovely problem of 5" of packed snow in the corrals melting during a warm week and freezing into skating ice each night. I have to fling salt and sand over the corrals before opening the stall doors each morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tallygirl View Post
    ya nicole can be kind of snotty. im sorry to whoever boards there. beautiful facility but cant go there because nicole is just a mean mean person. i thought she would be different when asking for you to spend money with her but apparently shes not, shes just greedy and wants more. typical. anyways, i heard willow creeks indoor is kind of flooded right now . i love lotte though, im moving my horses in with her next month, their facility is amazing. hard to come by covered arenas in our area. im out in ojai so we pretty much have 2 barns with covered arenas, i feel your pain.
    Tallygirl - I sent you a PM suggesting you not bad mouth individuals on a public forum such as this unless you're looking to get into some legal difficulties.

To other posters reading this thread, Tallygirl's comments should be taken with a grain of salt. A big grain.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

lol @ legal matter by saying someone is a "mean mean person" can i laugh somemore? hang on while i do so!! considering i have studied equine law, i am laughing even harder now. so silly some people are!

OP- canada larga is a beautiful facility, but i wouldnt spend 200 either. id take a lesson from karen healey for that price, shes amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by tallygirl View Post
    lol @ legal matter by saying someone is a "mean mean person" can i laugh somemore? hang on while i do so!! considering i have studied equine law, i am laughing even harder now. so silly some people are!
    Maybe you should study libel law!
    Last edited by ljc; Jan. 24, 2010 at 02:50 AM.

slander would mean saying dont ever go to nicole shes a horrible person, she steals peoples money, she is an awful rider, she is dangerous, etc. i said she was a mean mean person. that is not slander. now you saying lotte is the single most dangerous horse person you have ever come across IS slander. if i were you id get my stuff together, but then again, youre really a nobody, so it doesnt even matter. lol. so funny. people make me laugh so hard, especially when you prove them wrong. and its funny because this lady arguing with me is trying to convince me about what a hotshot she is. lol. its funny how so many people think they are "hotshots" in the horse world.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamswept View Post
    Sorry, don't know of any indoors around here. The place I board at has a lunging barn, but I'm not sure if it's somewhere that's actually rideable. I've been told we can spray it down before we use it so it's not so dusty, but with the ceiling fans, it might be a little low headroom (I could never bring myself to ride my TB in there, I might be able to with my Haflinger.)

Just outta curiosity, where do you board?
    you must be at glen annie
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    you must be at glen annie
    Goodness, how'd you guess? Do you know someone there?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamswept View Post
    Goodness, how'd you guess? Do you know someone there?
    The lunging barn, complete with threatening ceiling fans, was pretty much a dead giveaway

I, unsuccessfully, attempted to run a quality HJ program out of that place in the early part of last decade. It was... challenging.

Spent many hours in the lunging barn over the winters there - and it is a bit of a godsend - but no, don't think I'd recommend riding in it.

I did worry about it in the fires last year - I guess it came out okay?
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    The lunging barn, complete with threatening ceiling fans, was pretty much a dead giveaway

I, unsuccessfully, attempted to run a quality HJ program out of that place in the early part of last decade. It was... challenging.

Spent many hours in the lunging barn over the winters there - and it is a bit of a godsend - but no, don't think I'd recommend riding in it.

I did worry about it in the fires last year - I guess it came out okay?
    That's the place all right.

Yep, the ranch weathered the Gap Fire fine, didn't even come close. Tea and Jesusita Fires were too far away.

Mind if I send you a PM, so we don't hijack MoonPie730's thread?

sure!
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com

Being curious, I did a Google Earth fly over the covered arena West of Bulleton. There are 100' round pens next to the covered, so that means cutting horses, and the track looks worked up for either racing or a slide track for reiners. They may be nicer about sharing.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

When I lived in Ca I used to ride in the rain. It happened, like, 3 days/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    When I lived in Ca I used to ride in the rain. It happened, like, 3 days/yr.
    We had a week of torrential downpours. Walking on paved surfaces was a problem on occasion, never minding riding.