The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another "it seemed like a good idea at the time" story

As with so many horse-related activities, it seemed like a good idea at the time - take Prozac Pony out for a stroll before the storms hit again, and pony Panda-chan just to get him out. After all, Mr. Blondie doesn't even LIKE P-c, so why should he care if he leaves? Especially as he had just been given a couple flakes of hay.

Well, I ended up getting all 3 horses exercised... Just not how I had planned ;-)

I got PP tacked up except for his bridle, tossed a halter on P-c, tied him to the trailer while bridling PP, led them both over to the mounting block, and managed to get on without stepping on the pony. MB was munching peacefully in the arena.

And off we set, with P-c walking sedately beside PP.

Life was good.

But wait... MB suddenly realized everyone was... LEAVING HIM ALL BY HIMSELF AT THE MERCY OF HORDES OF RAVENOUS WOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!!! And he started tearing around the [slippery from all the rain] arena, screeching at the top of his not inconsiderable lungs.

"Well," I thought, "he has food. He'll settle down."

So we strolled down the road to the accompaniment of an increasingly frantic and loud palomino. As I contemplated the vet bills should he slip & hurt himself.

"Surely," I thought, "once we get out of sight, he will settle down and eat."

As we turned the corner, I could see flashes of blonde hysteria through the trees. And all of Cave Creek could no doubt hear him.

"OK," I thought, "perhaps if we go back, we can walk back & forth in the road next to the arena, and he will settle down."

So we turned around, P-c still obediently trundling along beside PP. But the closer we got to home, the faster P-c wanted to walk. Which made PP cranky, because *HE* was supposed to be in front. So he would pin his ears and make nasty faces at the oblivious pony, who was attempting to rip the lead rope out of my hand as I attempted to slow him down.

Meanwhile, Mr. Blondie was still tearing around the arena and shrieking, occasionally breaking into a floaty trot that I could never in my wildest dreams get under saddle.

Clearly, the "walking back & forth in front of the arena" plan was not going to work any better than the "go for a walk around the block" plan.

Then Prozac Pony stopped (just because he could), and Panda-chan zipped around in front of him, wrapping the lead rope around PP's neck and ending up facing in the wrong direction, on the wrong side of PP.

I got that sorted out with some judicious backing and we started to walk back down the driveway.

Whereupon P-c tried to zip in front of PP again. PP took extreme exception to this impudence, and slammed his head down on the top of P-c's head. Whereupon P-c bolted, straightening out the fold of lead rope I was holding in my right hand, and then slamming the knot at the end of the lead rope into my left middle finger.

The good thing was that P-c was not running loose in the neighborhood. The bad thing was that my hand hurt like a sonovagun, and P-c was once again facing in the wrong direction - this time, about 10 feet away.

I should have just let him run away and join the circus.

I did finally get him back in the arena with Mr. Blondie (after he wriggled his fat furry self out while I was juggling the gate & Prozac Pony) and managed to have a nice ride on PP. Despite my swollen & purple finger.

But I do think that the horse being ridden should get more exercise than the one left at home, right?

Must work on that...
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Hope your finger is okay!!

I enjoyed your story (should I say that???). Sorry about your finger, though. We always have the best intentions, don't we?

At least your day of good intentions didn't end up involving bute and banamine and cold hosing, as mine did. Sigh.

Sometimes I wonder, "Why do we do this?"

We need an intervention.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

I've seen that fantabulous floating trot before! Take one old ASB, add a flock of chickens and a barking dog and it's pretty impressive!

Great story, thanks for sharing. Oh yeah and never multitask with horses, you know better. Hope the finger is OK.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Thanks I needed that.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Oh yeah and never multitask with horses, you know better.
    There's a cowboy in our neighborhood who ponies TWO horses at the same time. The two being ponied stand sedately at the right shoulder of the horse being ridden. They turn when he turns. They stop when he stops. They walk on when he walks on.

I just want to pony ONE little 500 lb pony!!!

Is that really too much to ask?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

So thhaaaaaaaattttttt'sssss what I heard today!

As for ponying two at a time, they do that with polo ponies - one on each side of the ridden horse! When I had two horses, I would pony the younger one off the older when I went for a trail ride. MUCH easier and quieter than leaving one behind! I feel for you!

Glad you are basically okay--still smiling over the story--thanks, needed a smile today.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    There's a cowboy in our neighborhood who ponies TWO horses at the same time.
    Yeah, but he's probably got them dallied around a horn instead of a finger!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    Yeah, but he's probably got them dallied around a horn instead of a finger!
    I was gonna say something like that, but it is also true that if pony-ee doesn't have his/her ponying manners on, and the one in the saddle doesn't have lots of practice dallying, you can come out of the deal a lot worse than one jammed finger ...

Sounds like P-c is due for some ground work sessions ... or, maybe RR is just right about ponying ponies
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Talking Loved this mental picture story!

AAAaaahhh yeeesssss! Haven't we all had that occasional inspiration to do something good and have it not work out so well.....

No kidding; I did this and gave up and just let the horses follow me which they did....most of the time. I rented a neighbors pasture last summer and had to get 4 horses up to the next ridge (about a half mile walk) thru the woods. Tried every conceivable combination of the 4 with me riding 3 of the 4 and leading 1 or 2. and finally gave up and started just riding one and letting the other 3 follow. So once or twice a day I had a horse train. Going TO the pasture was usually no problem but coming home was. Sometimes there was a lot of wandering around out there. But usually if I got one home the others would follow.....eventually!
    Ya shoulda seen my youngest filly go after a bear one day that happened to parallel us ambling down the trail!! And they would "take their own line" thru the woods. Walking exactly on the trail wasn't any fun. My bassett trailed everyone with the cat following too. So my version of "ponying" is just to let them go free and follow. It worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    I just want to pony ONE little 500 lb pony!!!

Is that really too much to ask?

VV (read signature)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    I've seen that fantabulous floating trot before! Take one old ASB, add a flock of chickens and a barking dog and it's pretty impressive!
    metoometoo!! I saw it from the rear of a 'just escaped and bolting' Arabian-he looking back over his shoulder at me with that 'neener neener you can't catch me!' sneer on his face
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

This is the best laugh I've had all weekend. Thank you...and I hope your finger is going to feel better soon.