The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Event Trainers near Philadelphia?

I am looking for a serious event trainer in the Philadelphia area, PA or NJ, preferably somebody willing to travel. Any recommendations? Does anyone know much about Jane Sleeper? Honest opinions only, please. I am looking for a tuff trainer, with a good show record and successful students.

Please check the Area II website. www.usea2.net
    It is not difficult to find many top trainers in this area, it's the largest eventing region in the United States. All of the advanced level riders in this area, including Jane, are ALL USET/the best in the country. There are many, many trainers just a cut below this set that are equally as good. There are many that are very very competent but not quite upper level. Just depends on what you want for your horse or yourself. "Tuff" and "serious" might describe a lot of them, but I think "honest", "sympathetic", "experienced", "knowledgeable" and "good at schooling a horse" might also describe quite a few of them.
    Good luck! You are lucky because it's a wonderful area full of great trainers and coaches and lots of choices! However most are south for the winter at this moment in time!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Sally Cousins is awesome. She is based in Oxford PA in the warmer weather but does travel to certain area locations in MD, NJ, and DE....

ok thanks for the replies and messages... i got some good names and ideas... but it does seem to be a difficult thing to convince trainers to come to the city, as i do live and board in the actualy city of Philadelphia... so my next question is what about moving her to another boarding facilty no more than 20 minutes outside the city... again preferably at an event farm. Anybody know of any good local farms that are not crazy expensive, full of drama, and perhaps have a good trainer already associated to the farm??

Quote Originally Posted by xcpony View Post
    no more than 20 minutes outside the city... again preferably at an event farm. Anybody know of any good local farms that are not crazy expensive, full of drama, and perhaps have a good trainer already associated to the farm??
    Let me into your Dream world! lol
    Sorry not much help. There was one in the Plymouth meeting area that had little events. I can't remember the name right now someone else may come up with it. Where is Ashley Leith based now? my friend in Blue Bell rides with her.

Unfortunately, there is pretty much nothing that fits that description to my knowledge. I went to Penn and I couldn't find anything much within 45 minutes of the city.

I would recommend that you go to the Horse of the Delaware Valley's website (or better yet, pick up a copy!) and see what you can find. As a general rule, the further outside of the city the less expensive it will be. I don't know much about the NJ scene, but in PA the center of the eventing action is in Chester County (the Kennett Square area) although there are a few barns on the Main Line as well (which is a little closer to you but usually more expensive with less turn out and fewer eventers).

Best of luck. Here are some links:

www.horsedelval.com
    www.usea2.net
    www.equestrianlist.com
    www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com (not my fav. but another source)
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Default What level do you ride?

If you are BN-T, there may be an upper level rider who is a WS for one of the many local pro's that lives in Philly proper willing to teach you @ your place. Just a thought. I worked for one of the BNT's in Unionville part time and lived in Philly. I would have been happy to come to your place to teach sometimes if it was convenient location. Can't think of where you would be . . . Are you @ monestary or NW? or someplace new?

Chamonix (or however you spell it). Its a nice barn and quite when the kids arn't there, but it was a last minute decision and I'd be willing to move her another place, if need be or I found a better place. I have heard good things about montestary but I never heard of NW... I just moved here from Florida not too long ago, so I don't know the locals... and as far as horses go there dosnt seem to be many.

I am just having a disipline change over from dressage. I was trained to bout PSG and jumping 3', and had been wanting to get into eventing for some time... but where I was in FL was all hunter and dressage. My pony has done some Prelim courses with another rider... I don't mind being taught on a more regular basis by an advance WS as long as they are good and know there stuff and can teach... but I'd still like at least an occasional lesson with a respectable trainer.

The stable Im boarding at has a website : worktoride.org

If you are willing to move, closest with event specific trainers are in the Radnor Hunt Area. www.comstables.com and www.alliquippastables.com
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by xcpony View Post
    I don't mind being taught on a more regular basis by an advance WS as long as they are good and know there stuff and can teach... but I'd still like at least an occasional lesson with a respectable trainer.
    The upper level WS with most of the high end eventers in that area are going to be more than a "respectable trainer" - we're talking folks who have their A rating and can teach, ride, and train. You're not going to get someone like Philip or Boyd to come into the city just for you, I wouldn't think, but an upper level working student might be hungry enough to do it. However, you may want to look into whether you can ship out to someone, since it sounds like the places where you'll need to get some mileage is over fences and particularly XC.

Or they may come if you can get a group together and make it worth their time.

Try Cherie Gaebel. She's currently in Southern Pines until mid-march, but she teaches regularly at Radnor and other farms in the area. She is located in Elverson, PA. www.sedgemerefarm.com

Smile

The problems with having someone "come to you" are basically to do with TIME, and the appropriateness of the facility.

If you care about your horse, and if it's a nice animal you are concerned with, then footing and facility is very important. One of the reasons the top trainers are TOP is because they don't compromise on anything.

When I go off farm to teach, just using myself as an example (because for my real job I'm a road warrior and have run in and out of Philly a lot) it would take me 45 to 60 minutes to drive in. Once you get there, usually there is a five or ten minute warmup period, then you can get to work, teach the next 45-50 minutes and we always chat afterwards even for a 5 minutes. Then it's another 45-60 minute trip BACK. There's a three-hour chunk of time. In three hours at home, Phillip or Boyd or Jane can work three to four horses or teach three lessons with two or three riders in each. If they get $75-100 for lessons and about $50-65 a day to train horses (just guessing) look at how much revenue they will LOSE by making a single trip to teach one person in that three-hour period.

They have fantastic facilities with indoor arenas, beautiful footing, great jumps. We have all invested in trucks and horse trailers because that way I think you get the BEST bang for your buck with regard to training. I know a couple of people who live in center city Philly but keep horses outside the city in lovely boarding stables, both private and public stables, west of the city. Chester county is FULL of them. Check the local horse rags (www.equinemarketer.com, the horse of delaware valley -- and try the bulletin board at Ricks Heritage tack shop, etc.) Do your homework. Check websites and read up. You'll find what you want. But you may have to become mobile!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Oh I believe it, I know I have been a working student at several farms through out the East Coast, Germany, and the Netherlands. The problem is I am a university student and working 30-50 hours a week, and also have a tight schedule. I know what it means to travel and the time chunk that is taken out of a busy trainers life. I am trying to get a group together to make it worth the trip, but I myself cant really afford to loose the time or money to travel either at this exact moment, that is why it is worth for me to pay the extra buck to have someone come out to the place where she is now.

Though I do believe some trainers had to make plenty of sacrifices to make it to the top, family, friends, a good horse that they had to sell because they could use the money... I have seen plenty of top riders that make tons of compromises. Some people like myself who were not born with a silverspoon, must make compromises if we want to stick with what we love. We still try to always put our horses first, but if we compromise everything for the horse than it is easy to end up with just a bunch of debt and nothing to show for it. I make compromises for my horse and she makes compromises for me.

Making it to the top is a goal of mine, but not my immediate goal. I have to finish school and keep working to save up for this expensive hobby. thanks, for all replies!

Ashley Leith comes to teach at Monastery (although, she's in Florida for the winter). Here is the link to her blog http://www.ashleyleithequestrian.com/index.html. I hope it helps.

I don't think Susie would travel into town, but I did suggest the possibility of moving to her place, which isn't too far
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Just as another option, Susie Beale is expanding her business to Radnor Hunt Stables (in Malvern) March 1 which may be even closer for you. She'll also keep the Valley Forge location.

I have heard good and bad things about Susie... if getting involved with her means I am gonna be in some tight circle and have to on the good side of some peps and hated by others... I dont know if I want that drama right now... while I am so new to the sport... yeah I know some people can say things about all trainers... but sometimes certain trainers cause more attention than others and it isnt always positive... I have no idea how she is really; never rode, trained, or seen her before... but I think I want to play it safe with some neutral person till I can get around in the eventing world on my own and make my own opinions. thanks