The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs up The Greatest Invention Ever!!!!

I am sooo excited! For Christmas my husband put a backup camera on the license plate of our truck. I thought big deal he just wanted a TV in the truck. Since he put it on we have not had one argument about hooking up trailer and our neighbors do not think we are strange watching the odd hand movements that went along with hooking up the trailer. He has been hooking up in seconds without my help. Since today is nasty so I thought I would test the camera so I can hook up during the week when he is at work. It took me minutes and I was hooked up and ready to go! This is the greatest thing ever!!! My husband is awesome!

I need details! What kind? How much $$? Where do you get such a thing?

Ohhh! It is wonderful. I am not sure of the price; I think it was around $150-$200.00. It is WELL worth it! You can get them at a store that sells car stereo equipment. The camera is mounted on the license plate and ours is angled to see the hitch, however, it pans wide enough to see the trailer coupler. The TV is mounted by the radio and slides in if not in use. When you put the truck in reverse it automatically kicks in. I was hooked up in less than 3 minutes without any help. I think it will take less time as I get used to it. It is a godsend if there is an emergency and no one is around to help you hook up. (Thankfully I have not had to test this.)

It sounds like a really cool device. Do you know where your husband bought yours?

I MUST get one! Please provide more information immediately.

Thanks.

Well I am sure Best Buy or a stereo store by you would have them. If you lived in Georgia I would direct you to where he got ours. You need a camera and TV screen mounted to your truck. He said if you have a dashboard Navigation system or Tv in your truck already you would just need the camera.

This is not ours but here is one
    http://www.4ucam.com/Wireless-Backup...ht-Vision.html. It really is wonderful for hooking up a trailer. Google back up camera and there are a ton of them.

We got what sounds like a similar camera/video screen set-up at Costco for about $80.

Thumbs down

That is the second greatest invention, the first would follow your horse around collect the manure and deposit in the appropriate pile.
    All kidding aside that sounds like a neat device.

"That is the second greatest invention, the first would follow your horse around collect the manure and deposit in the appropriate pile."

That would be the greatest invention ever!!!

Oh oh *raises hand* we have one too!! Have to agree it's AWESOME! Hubby is always having to hook up to different trailers and it's the bomb! We paid $50.00 for it, they had them once at Tuesday Morning. I love it too! Just back right up and SNAP! Right under the ball! Wish the screen was bigger on ours, I see some now that are the size of Tom-tom screens, gonna get one of them for the RV, that IS a booger to back up to the trailer, or back up period.

One of the boarders got one and mounted it over the door inside her horse trailer pointing downward at the horses, she can watch them as she goes down the road, pretty cool! Only thing about doing that is it's wireless and the signal is a LITTLE fuzzy by the time it reaches the cab of her truck. (she has a 4 horse gooseneck)

They also have them on Ebay...just saying. ; )
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Walmart, near the car stereos.

I'm a gadget geek so I definitely think it's cool, but it's probably overkill compared to the other possible solutions.

I use these. Same effect as the camera for 1/5 the price.
    http://www.qwks.com/Hitchin-Rods-p-2.html

Does it work for Gooseneck ball hitches?

I still can't hitch up by myself. I'm vertically challenged and just CAN NOT get a good visual over the big, steel-plate tool box in the bed.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Our screen is the size of a car TV screen so you get a really good picture. The detail on the screen is really great. I have terrible depth perception so it works well for me.

I thought about getting those flags but wasn't sure how they would work. Jn do yoy have them?

I do love the camera and would love to add one inside the trailer to spy on the horses

Choco- I am sure you could use it on a gooseneck. You would need to mount the camera above the back window of your truck. John angled the camera to point it at the ball but it pans wide enough to see the trailer coupler. I am sure it would be the same for a gn. I will show it to you next time we ride (if the weather ever improves).

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I'm a gadget geek so I definitely think it's cool, but it's probably overkill compared to the other possible solutions.

I use these. Same effect as the camera for 1/5 the price.
    http://www.qwks.com/Hitchin-Rods-p-2.html
    Yea those are neat, but for 25.00 more I got the camera (50.00) and don't have to get out to mount the flags, and with my luck I would lose them, LOL! I can't keep up with anything.

Plus the camera helps in backing other than backing up to a trailer to see what's back there, small child, animal or whatever, I just glance in it then look back over my shoulder when backing out of a parking place.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

We got one for my dad for Christmas. The camera mounts in the truck bed with a strong magnet and works great for hitching our gooseneck (He and I are both on the vertically challenged side - the stand & twist to look over the seat method is tough on the back!). We decided not to attach it as we have 2 different trucks that pull the trailer and this way we can share.

My gadget geek brother ordered it with the night vision feature - awesome idea! It makes hitching up in the dark a snap as our trailers are parked away from the barn.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard