The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows - From Starting Gate to In Gate

The prize list for the "triple crown" series in 2010 will be posted on the Virginia Horse Center website very soon! Dates are March 20-21, June 12-13 and November 20-21. Revised Show Schedule!!! More news to come!

www.horsecenter.org - click on Schedule, then March10, then scroll to March 20-21.

Default Receive a prize list via e-mail

If you would like to have a prize list emailed to you, you may contact the show secretary at:

kristahodgkin@yahoo.com

It will be sent in .pdf format.

Default Find us on Facebook

Become a fan of Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows for up-to-date information! We have some exciting news to announce over the next few days!

Hey, I tried to find you on facebook, and your page doesn't come up. I even had the extremely proficient teenager try, and she couldn't find it either. Would you be able to post a link please?

I would love to go but I sadly live on the West Coast.

Default Facebook Groups

http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Thor...0300862?ref=ts

You can also find us on After the Track/American Thoroughbreds Making Great Sporthorses page on Facebook.

Hope that helps!

It’s Post Time
    The Virginia Horse Center Foundation is increasing the visibility of Off the Track Thoroughbreds (OTTBs) by hosting a "Triple Crown" series of Hunter and Jumper horse shows in 2010. The Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows welcome Thoroughbreds who have retired from racing, or who spent any part of their life in training to become a racehorse. After the debut show in June 2009 and a second show in November, entries and enthusiasm convinced the Foundation to add an additional show to the 2010 series. In March, June and November ex-racehorses who have moved on to new careers in the show ring will come together to compete for ribbons and prizes. Each show offers many divisions for Hunters and Jumpers at various levels, as well as a Model class (new for 2010!), a Handy Hunter class, and the chance to compete in the $1,000 Hunter and $1,000 Jumper Stakes.
    The Foundation is proud to announce its partnership with two USEF “AA” shows (Lexington Spring Premiere & Lexington Spring Encore), as well as five House Mountain Horse Shows (VHSA Associate and SWVH/JA sanctioned) this year. These shows will offer Hunter and Jumper classes for OTTBs. Exhibitors can increase their odds of earning a spot in either the $1,000 Hunter or Jumper Stakes at Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows by competing in specific OTTB classes at these partnered shows. See prize list for more details.
    Special Awards
    The Thoroughbred Celebration Series continues a unique tradition of special awards that commemorate beloved OTTBs. The Hunter Style Award, sponsored by Sarah Starr of Pennsylvania in honor of her OTTB Wedonit, will be given to the horse who the judge believes demonstrates the best style over fences, regardless of ribbons won at the show. A Jumper Style Award is also offered and can be named in honor of your OTTB. Please let Anne know if you would like to sponsor this award.
    To the delight of riders and spectators alike, chestnut gelding R Huey competed at both shows in 2009, winning many jumper classes. His owners have decided to retire him this year at the age of 22, and we are pleased to put him in the spotlight during a Retirement Ceremony at our March show. A Versatility Award in honor of R Huey will be given at our November Show. In order to be considered for this award, a horse must have raced and successfully transitioned into at least two other disciplines. More information regarding eligibility will be available at each show.
    “Purse Money” The Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows are a fun way to introduce exhibitors and spectators to the sport of racing, while exposing the racing industry to the talents these Thoroughbreds have beyond the track. All classes are named after racetracks and we welcome individual and corporate sponsors. For sponsorship information, contact Show Chairperson Anne Russek at (540) 817-9263 or: annrussva@hotmail.com
    In the News
    Chrissy Resch and One More For The Road, who formerly raced as P Day, were recently featured in the Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred (Jan. 2010). P Day earned more than $600,000 when he was on the track. He was then abandoned in a field and rescued by New Vocations of Ohio. Chrissy adopted him and they are a very competitive pair in Jumpers and Three Day Eventing up and down the East Coast. The Thoroughbred Times (Oct. 2009) also featured his amazing story.
    Two of our competitors from last year, Well Spent, who raced as All Game and is owned and ridden by Krista Hodgkin, and Packed, owned by Paula Haughey and ridden by Nicole Lenderking, appear on a full page photo in the Virginia Travel Guide 2010 (pg. 160). The photo shoot was at the Virginia Horse Center and both Thoroughbreds are in training at BRC Stables, Lexington. The magazine can be found on-line at www.virginia.org.
    Making an Impact
    A percentage of entry fees received for Blue Horse Charities Pleasure Hunter Division at each show is donated to Blue Horse Charities. The organization distributes that money to rescue facilities across the country that are focused on transitioning racehorses into new careers. A silent auction will also be held at each show featuring exquisite pieces of art, gift certificates, tack, homemade baked goods, antiques, and more. All of the proceeds from the silent auction are designated for Blue Horse Charities. Thoroughbred rescue organizations that benefited through Blue Horse Charities from the November 2009 show were: New Vocations of Ohio (Anna Ford, www.horseadoption.com), Thoroughbred Placement and Rescue of Maryland (Kim Clarke, www.helpfortbs.org), and Illinois Equine Humane Center (Gail Vacca, www.ilehc.org). To donate items for the silent auction, contact Nicole Lenderking at (540) 915-3099 or: nlegard@yahoo.com
    Spreading the Word
    Find us on Facebook and become a fan of "Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Shows." You can also join the group "After the Track/American Thoroughbreds Making Great Sport Horses." Pictures, links and discussions are available. We also post information on The Chronicle of the Horse Forums. For a copy of the Prize List, go to www.horsecenter.org, click on Schedule, March10, and scroll to March 20-21, 2010 to download. If you would like a prize list emailed to you, please contact the Show Secretary at: kristahodgkin@yahoo.com January 26, 2010

I'm so excited about this, will be there with two! Who else is going?
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

I'll be there with at least 1, who will do just some flat classes and the model, and a new acquisition might come just for the experience of hanging out. It's a wonderful environment, and everyone is so nice there. One of the best run shows I've ever been to!

I'll be there with two! One is a recent convert to the jumpers---we will be doing our very first jumper classes (my first and his first) in March. Eeek! Let's just pray I can remember the courses....

The other is a baby baby baby green guy who is up with Olin Armstrong at the moment.

Can't wait! These shows are TERRIFIC. Awesome management, great sportsmanship and camaraderie with everyone involved---a bunch of cool people who really love their horses, showing them in a really fun, positive (but still very competitive!! A lot of quality horses!) atmosphere.
    Katie Gardner ~ Otteridge Farm
    Visit us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Otteri...12757628746926

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSwap View Post
    I'll be there with two! One is a recent convert to the jumpers---we will be doing our very first jumper classes (my first and his first) in March. Eeek! Let's just pray I can remember the courses....

The other is a baby baby baby green guy who is up with Olin Armstrong at the moment.

Can't wait! These shows are TERRIFIC. Awesome management, great sportsmanship and camaraderie with everyone involved---a bunch of cool people who really love their horses, showing them in a really fun, positive (but still very competitive!! A lot of quality horses!) atmosphere.
    Hey Katie, it's Sam. Good to see you here on COTH. Is Frank the jumper convert? I bet you'll both love it!
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMeadows View Post
    Hey Katie, it's Sam. Good to see you here on COTH. Is Frank the jumper convert? I bet you'll both love it!
    Hey!

Yep, it's Frank. He just doesn't want to be a hunter at this point in his life, and he's so brave and scopey and has so much heart that I feel like it's best to just listen to him, instead of trying to make him be something he isn't. He's SUCH a cool horse and I'm so happy I have him. I'm super excited about it---we've been practicing a lot of balancing exercises and little circles and tight turns and odd approaches to jumps and he's totally loving it and being awesome--so I feel good about my decision. I've always kind of wanted to try the jumpers anyway, so it looks like I'll get my chance! Until I get my feet wet, I'm just going to be THAT girl at the show who doesn't know what's going on, haha.

Waiting for his new Figure 8 bridle to come in the mail from Smartpak. And I got him a monogrammed square pad...

I'm trying to get up the nerve to try jumpers on my mare for the first time at that show too. I'll be on the big bay mare looking confused! I'm trying to read the rules about table IIb and c and figure out how to remember a regular and jump-off course at the same time! And I just got open front and ankle boots from Dover on super salt

Which division are you going to do? I'm going to do the 2'7 for our jumper debut.

Hey!

Yep, it's Frank. He just doesn't want to be a hunter at this point in his life, and he's so brave and scopey and has so much heart that I feel like it's best to just listen to him, instead of trying to make him be something he isn't. He's SUCH a cool horse and I'm so happy I have him. I'm super excited about it---we've been practicing a lot of balancing exercises and little circles and tight turns and odd approaches to jumps and he's totally loving it and being awesome--so I feel good about my decision. I've always kind of wanted to try the jumpers anyway, so it looks like I'll get my chance! Until I get my feet wet, I'm just going to be THAT girl at the show who doesn't know what's going on, haha.

Waiting for his new Figure 8 bridle to come in the mail from Smartpak. And I got him a monogrammed square pad...

Quote Originally Posted by Prima Donna View Post
    I'm trying to get up the nerve to try jumpers on my mare for the first time at that show too. I'll be on the big bay mare looking confused! I'm trying to read the rules about table IIb and c and figure out how to remember a regular and jump-off course at the same time! And I just got open front and ankle boots from Dover on super salt

Which division are you going to do? I'm going to do the 2'7 for our jumper debut.
    HAHA I'm doing the exact same thing right now--reading the rule book. WHADDYA MEAN I gotta stay in the ring and do a jump off immediately???? Omg. I used to go off course as a child. This is traumatizing. Right now I'm doing the 2'7, but I'm actually contemplating the 3'1, since my horse tends to not pay attention to smaller fences as well. I think I need to stay small at first so I can figure out how to get around the ring!

We need a support group. Also, a bunch of people at the ingate giving helpful directives as we fly by, lmao. The good news is that I'm fairly certain Frank won't care what I do. He's a laid back kinda guy.

Anyone wanna put the difference between Table II2b and Table II2c in nice small words to help out the jumper ignorant among you?

Well, whatever, Prima Donna---we'll be free entertainment! This is a really nice group of people, so it's not nearly so pressurized as it might be somewhere else.

I'm planning to bring my gelding again - we had such a good time last year. I loved the facility, the organization, and the "less pressurized, fan-supportive" atmosphere. OTTB people rock.
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

I tried at my last hunter show to remember two courses at once and started to confuse myself. Maybe I'll draw the courses on my hands!

I also heard that everyone there is very friendly and that the show is low key so this is a good place for us to try

I'm also pretty excited to do a course walk.

HAHA I'm doing the exact same thing right now--reading the rule book. WHADDYA MEAN I gotta stay in the ring and do a jump off immediately???? Omg. I used to go off course as a child. This is traumatizing. Right now I'm doing the 2'7, but I'm actually contemplating the 3'1, since my horse tends to not pay attention to smaller fences as well. I think I need to stay small at first so I can figure out how to get around the ring!

We need a support group. Also, a bunch of people at the ingate giving helpful directives as we fly by, lmao. The good news is that I'm fairly certain Frank won't care what I do. He's a laid back kinda guy.

Anyone wanna put the difference between Table II2b and Table II2c in nice small words to help out the jumper ignorant among you?

Well, whatever, Prima Donna---we'll be free entertainment! This is a really nice group of people, so it's not nearly so pressurized as it might be somewhere else.

I'll be there again - we made it to both last year and had a blast! I'm bringing 2 - Surf Guitar will be doing the jumpers this time (and maaaaaaaaybe a hunter class...maaaaaaybe) - and I'll be bringing R. Huey for his retirement and just to hang out with his buddy Surf Guitar

It's still hard to believe that R. Huey is retired - and loving life as a babysitter to 2 adorable yearling fillies! It's going to take all my self control not to enter him in a jumper class! I can't tell you guys how much I miss competing that horse...he's still my favorite horse to hang out with at the farm

We're easy to spot - and love to put faces with Coth names! Just look for the GIANT bay and smaller-but-still-pretty-big chestnut surrounded by a sea of pink stuff!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelmd07 View Post

We're easy to spot - and love to put faces with Coth names! Just look for the GIANT bay and smaller-but-still-pretty-big chestnut surrounded by a sea of pink stuff!
    Maybe you'll be our neighbor again! :-D

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

Anyone know how far this is from Mid Michigan????

Hard to say.. maybe 11-12 hours-ish with a trailer and a few stops?