The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CANTER horse vetting

I'm planning on going to see two horses next week but I wanted to get some thoughts on those who have vetted CANTER horses (Charlestown specifically).

I was going to call my regular vet and ask if he had any recommendations but would love to hear your recommendations as well.

Also, did you get the vetting the day you looked at the horse or was the process more drawn out?
    Winfield Farm
    Karrera "Zoee" ~ Redshift "Orion" ~ Inquisitive "Q" ~ No Doubts "Lady"
    I Paid For My Vet's New Truck Clique

There are several vets right across the street from the track, but you need to arrange for vetting ahead of time--they cannot just come over and do a vetting without prior notice.
    Both numbers are on the "Resources" page on the CANTER Mid Atlantic site.
    Let me know if you need further info.

Thanks FairWeather. I had seen that but wanted to get recommendations as well.

I was wondering about the day-of vetting because I read something that made it seem there were vets actually on the track all the time, and thought that's what people used.

My vet recommended two vets at Valley so I will give them a call if things look good.

Thanks!
    Winfield Farm

I used a vet at Valley Equine (don't remember who, sorry!) and was happy. He didn't seem in a hurry when talking to me on the phone, which I appreciated, and gave me a thorough description of the horse's condition. The one thing he botched was his size. He had no idea how big he was!

I had him vetted on a Saturday. The vet pulled him out and had a tech hold the horse since I wasn't there. I would call the office and ask them how it usually works if you are going to be there.

I'd also love to hear what people have done. If you have x-rays taken, what joints? A whole series or just one?
    Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!

I've used the vets at Valley for x-rays on my own horse

Very reasonable pricing and easy to work with.

I haven't been in a position to get a PPE done at the track, but if I was going to I would call them (and have a general exam done, maybe x rays of feet and ankles. Depending on how much $ I had and how much I was feeling like gambling that day!)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

mcorbett, depending on how the horse looks and flexes with my trainer, I will most definitely xray front feet and hocks. Anything else will depend on how the day goes
    Winfield Farm

I have used Valley Vet for X-rays on my horse (I don't remember which vet either ) and I was very happy with everything.

I'd shoot rads of the knees as a matter of course. That is just my experience.

Default Charlestown Vet

Call Carroll and Butler,Ranson WVA ask for Gwen

She is a good common sense vet, has her own horse and will explain in detail anything you want to know.

I trust her and I know the practice has good referances from other sources sendin clients in for PPE's.

Skip the hocks....spend your X-ray $$ on Ankles n knees, feet ?? TB's are not so plagued by navicular and if it doesn't fall down w/ hoof testers skip it.

The knees and ankles get tapped and injected, theres where you want to look for joint narrowing, thin to no catilage, degeneration from steroid use.
    And get it scoped as well.

Also pull a tox screen have vet spin down freeze n store for 6 months (should be free) so if it comes back in say 30-60 days dead F** lame you can see if Carbocai or lidocain or bute or banamine etc was in the system masking something.

PM if you have any other questions.

More rock solid advice from Judy. Will copy and print for when my brain goes mush.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Skip the hocks....spend your X-ray $$ on Ankles n knees, feet ?? TB's are not so plagued by navicular and if it doesn't fall down w/ hoof testers skip it.

The knees and ankles get tapped and injected, theres where you want to look for joint narrowing, thin to no catilage, degeneration from steroid use.
    And get it scoped as well.

Also pull a tox screen have vet spin down freeze n store for 6 months (should be free) so if it comes back in say 30-60 days dead F** lame you can see if Carbocai or lidocain or bute or banamine etc was in the system masking something.

PM if you have any other questions.
    Thanks! Do most trainers accept some sort of contract then with a limitation for those 30-60 days?

I'm not too familiar with this but assume my trainer and vet will know...
    Winfield Farm

Are you looking for resale or for yourself?

If you are looking for possible resale, I recommend shots of the major joints so no one is surprised at the next vetting down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
    Thanks! Do most trainers accept some sort of contract then with a limitation for those 30-60 days?

I'm not too familiar with this but assume my trainer and vet will know...
    I would be very curious as to your experience with this Judy. Many years ago, a friend took a horse to her personal vet for vetting. Results were not acceptable. Trainer would not take the horse back. (Obviously there is more detail here, but summarize to say - they agreed to a ppe offsite.)

Just to play devil's advocate..

I haven't vetted any of the OTTBs I've had. I've only had 6 (that i've owned or ridden) but I also don't know many other people that have done x-rays for CANTER horses.

I'm all for it if you want to spend the money but when I've gone to the tracks I'll look at many horses and if I vetted all of them I wouldn't have enough money to buy one!

Just wanted to give you the other side.. that many people don't vet at all and turn out fine. (others don't!)

Good luck!

Is the horse on the racetrack now?? If so, you will need to check with the rules first. Many do not allow outside vets to enter track grounds to vet out a horse, therefore you would need to use a vet that has a track license to do it. In my experience with vetting on the track horses, it only takes about 30-40 mins to vet one out and they just do the basics. If they need xrays with the equiptment now days are digit, so you can get the results right then and there on their portable computeres.

I have had a few that were x-rayed that I had listed on canter, most passed, but a couple of them didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post

I haven't vetted any of the OTTBs I've had. I've only had 6 (that i've owned or ridden) but I also don't know many other people that have done x-rays for CANTER horses.

I'm all for it if you want to spend the money but when I've gone to the tracks I'll look at many horses and if I vetted all of them I wouldn't have enough money to buy one!

Just wanted to give you the other side.. that many people don't vet at all and turn out fine. (others don't!)

Good luck!
    Agreed. I have had purchased two that were not vetted and all turned out fine. I have vetted others, good or bad. I think it depends on the price you are paying and what the end game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post

Good luck!
    Ditto!
    I'm on the other side of it, I have probably sold 100 plus off the track and only recall one or two being vetted.
    I do give full disclosure on all my horses and tell everything I know, some trainers not so much.
    The funny thing is the one I remember being vetted was flunked on his hock x-rays but then purchased by the next person that looked at him (and yes I informed them of prior vet) and was sold a year later for mid five figures. So go figure.
    And just remember you can't put them thru anything compared to what they have already done.
    Good Luck hope you get a good one.
    Last edited by Muleskick; Jan. 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling

You can have private vets at Charles Town.