The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The Peoples\' Republic of Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

Default Vets, Military Folk in Mass.? UPDATE

If you are a vet or are serving in the military (or you care about someone who is!) I want to let you know about a great event happening this Sunday, January 31. Command Sergeant-Major Samuel Rhodes--a real live combat hero and a great guy--is speaking in Haverhill, MA on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and the work he has done with Horses for Heroes to help those affected. Please help us spead the word, if you know of someone who can benefit--or who is interested in therapeutic horsemanship programs for our wounded warriors. The event is free, accessible, and includes plenty of coffee and snacks. Contact me for info or check www.advantageridingacademy.com
    Thanks, and pass it along!
    Last edited by ClaraLuisa; Feb. 1, 2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: updating
    Never give up. Never give in. Never, never, never.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I am going to try VERY hard to get off work so I can go! This is perfect timing.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Wow, talk about a name from the past! My husband worked with SGM Rhodes a few years ago.
    Cameron Grace M5H " Cammie" 2006 Haflinger
    Dandy Lil Dunn Jet "Penny" 1998 AQHA
    RIP Roans Lucky Socks "Chevy" 13 May 2003 - 1 December 2012 my sweet buddy, until we meet again.

PintoPiaffe, that's great--we'll hope to see you!

Just cross *everything* that I can get someone to work for me.

<note, shameless bump to keep on first page too >

Just a clarification, you say, 'this sunday, Jan 31", actually this sunday is Jan 24, so do you mean the 31st or 24th?

Where is this event being held, what times, etc.
    tia.

It's the 31st. If you go the webpage she listed in the first post and then to news, all the information is there.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Default Update--longish cross-post

Hi everybody--I wanted to give a fast update for those who couldn't be with us Sunday.
    Sergeant Rhodes, as advertised, was very impressive, and talked a lot about his own experience of PTSD. There were definitely damp eyes in the audience when he talked about losing friends in Iraq and his own struggles with suicidal impulses after getting home.
    Sam also described the Horses for Heroes program at Fort Benning as something that grew out of his own experience. He said "the horse doesn't heal your wounds...but it provides trust, acceptance and freedom" . At Benning, they offer an ongoing riding program for vets, and also a one-day event that they hold periodically for new riders. The one-day events last all day and involve on-the-ground teaching, riding and a steak dinner--and they are very popular. Sam's program also involves a partnership with a local high school riding group that supports both elements of programming.
    This part of the presentation was intriguing, and Sam was encouraging toward the folks in the audience interested in starting veterans' programs. He did not provide quite as much how-to-do-it nuts and bolts detail as I wanted in the talk, but did offer to be available by phone and email for continued consultation.
    Sam also directed me to some reference materials from Walter Reed Army Hospital, which I am now chasing down, and will be glad to share. I do have the slide show he used in the presentation, as well, and can provide it to anyone interested. I know there were folks there from other barns and therapeutic programs--I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to everybody.
    Interestingly, about a dozen vets expressed interest in joining a riding program after the event was over. So I think "if you build it they will come." I'd love to be in touch with anyone who is interested in starting a vets' program, just pm me!

I was VERY sad not to be able to go. It would've been 10 hrs of driving, but still, I had very much hoped to be able to get off work. Alas...

Thanks for the update. (I got your email and will reply. ) This is very encouraging!