The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dressage breeders::: What Trakehner stallion you want to breed to?

That has good frozen semen.

On my list: Silvermoon, Hohenstein,

I like trakehners.

I don't breed Trakehners, but I was under the impression that Hohenstein semen tends to be poor quality?

I like Oskar II for a Trakehner stallion in the US, if I were breeding Trakehners, he would be very high up on the list.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Herzberg. He is currently showing FEI at the tender age of 17!

Very underutilized stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    I don't breed Trakehners, but I was under the impression that Hohenstein semen tends to be poor quality?
    "Poor" is a generous description. It is DOA frozen and not hot fresh.

Grafenstolz
    http://www.exclusiveequines.com.au/a_j/grafenstolz.htm
    He might be one of those jumpers that adds to the dressage program.

http://www.spicadressage.com/don.htm D O N A U F Ü R S T Ps*E*

Default Improving your odds

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    That has good frozen semen.

On my list: Silvermoon, Hohenstein,

I like trakehners.
    The best way to give you good advice is to know something about your mare: bloodlines, qualities you want to solidify, and those you want to improve upon. Will dramatically improve your odds of finding a stallion that will produce what you want.
    Owner of ATA and Verband-Approved Trakehner stallion, Tzigane *Pb*, breeder of ATA-approved Semper Fidelis

www.twingates.com

Stolensilver may be able to tell you about Silvermoon as her PSG mare is in foal to him.

I'm pretty sure they used chilled with her as there were problems on the first cycle when the shippers mucked up delivery and the semen was still good enough to have a go at inseminating her. She didin't take first time but that was down to the mare not ovulating when predicted. She took fine the second cycle

Silvermoon's frozen is very good according to SES

I'd take a long hard look at Cadeau, EH King Arthur and EH Munchhausen. TSI carries them.

Kostalany has foals on the ground in the US. I'm not sure who carries him.

Thanks Stoicfish for putting Grafenstolz forward. I'm not going to highjack the thread, but want to say a couple of things:

Whilst Grafenstolz has been an eventing World Champion (Le Lion d'Angers 2004) and regularly placed at 3* whilst covering up to 320 mares a year mostly with fresh semen, he is now concentrating on pure dressage. He left stud on the 30 August 2009 and went into training. Only 14 weeks later he performed his first ever PSG, and scored 69%, scoring a perfect 10 for the five loop canter serpentine (the one with the changes on the centre line) in the previous class.

In order to show the loyalty to my agents around the world that I get from my stallion owners, Exclusive Equines are not now and will not be in the furture, the agents for Graf in Australia and New Zealand. David Shoobridge of www.waterviewpark.com.au is, a very polite and professional man in New South Wales. Whilst the USA and Canada agent for Graf is Judy Yancey in Ocala, who earns huge respect from me (former pro rugby payer) in her ability to sink a pint of beer quicker than I can. A talented lady indeed!!!

I like Hohenstein a lot, but would then buy one or breed one of my mares in Germany to him. No way would I even consider his frozen!

I have really liked the trak blood I have used on my Han mares. Especially a Latimer out of my DOnnerhall mare.

I also have a Kaiserkult filly, just being started, in Germany. Dam A Langatas Express/Pik Bube. Her half brothers (Hohenstaufer I, II) both by Hohenstein, are HIGHLY sucessfull in sports. One is in Sweden at Jan Brinks (ridden by Minna). I have had people wanting to buy her just due to her breeding. But she is a keeper! cool and good mover.

My former mare by Don Crusador, had a very good Hofrat colt. Tall and leggy.

Other trakheners I would consider would be Connery and Munchauser. Had a stallion by Connery. Very elegant! Melissa here had a nice filly by Muenchauser

Yes yes yes, I am a Hanoverian breeder, just sometimes stepping out of the box, lol.
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

I have a mare I would love to use Kostolany for and another that might also work, but not as refined. Love that stallion! But, not breeding right now (I have to keep repeating that over and over as spring lurks around the corner, LOL).
    PennyG

I have a 09 Kostolany filly out of a mare by Schampus, I love her! She is gonna be fancy. Which is what I keep telling my self when I look at her covered in all that fuzzy hair and mud .

The trak stallions I'm interested in for the future are Kaiserkult, Grafenstolz, Symont and Silvermoon to name a few.

Does any body know where you can get KaiserKult frozen? I am also not sure if there is Symont frozen out there yet either or babies by him for that matter but I like him!

Walnut farm, do you have pictures you would be willing share of your Kaiserkult filly? I would love to see her!

lgd1 is right. I used Silvermoon last year. My mare is due mid May. Can't wait for the foal to arrive. I did use fresh chilled semen and the stud were very professional and easy to contact and the semen is excellent quality. For her first cycle my mare looked as if she was about to ovulate and then held on for another 3 days! Turned out she ovulates on giant sized follicles. Once we'd worked that out and got the insemination timing right she took straight away. Don't know anything about his frozen but I'd trust the stud to tell you the truth about it. They speak excellent English.

A Trak stallion that I really like is Axis. He's the son of Sixtus, an international showjumper and Axis was the champion jumper at his grading. However he's been trained as a dressage horse and is currently competing successfully at Grand Prix in Germany. He's also the sire of Hirtentanz who has just been approved by the Holsteiner verband, the first Trakehner to be approved since Donauwind sire of Olympic competitor Abdullah and that was over 40 years ago! IMO he's a real dual purpose sire with the ability to produce international quality jumpers and dressage horses.

I never hear anyone mention Glen Livit, but he is very nice. I boarded at the barn where he lives for a while, and he has just about the best temperament, and he's just all around lovely.

http://glennlivit.com/

His foal was the top scoring ISR O-NA foal in 2008, and she is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by stolensilver View Post
    A Trak stallion that I really like is Axis. He's the son of Sixtus, an international showjumper and Axis was the champion jumper at his grading. However he's been trained as a dressage horse and is currently competing successfully at Grand Prix in Germany. He's also the sire of Hirtentanz who has just been approved by the Holsteiner verband, the first Trakehner to be approved since Donauwind sire of Olympic competitor Abdullah and that was over 40 years ago! IMO he's a real dual purpose sire with the ability to produce international quality jumpers and dressage horses.
    I'm interested in Axis too. I haven't had any luck as far as locating frozen semen from him though. I have emailed Gestut Webelsgrund (where he stands) but did not hear back. Do you happen to know if frozen is available with anyone?
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

I'd try contacting his owner, Sian Prosser-Reade. She's really nice and very knowledgeable.

Email: sian@bluewood.co.uk

Another Trak stallion I'd recommend is Le Rouge. I have a daughter from his first crop and she was highest rated 3yo dressage horse in the UK last year. She has the most wonderful temperament, ideal for upper level dressage in that she is very trainable and willing to please but she's also sensitive and her engine is constantly running. There is no lack of go with this lady! Yet she is sensible with it.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?a...o_id=647785783

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo?a...o_id=647785911

What about the young stallion Imperio (2003 by Connery x Balfour xx)? He looks lovely in his pictures and video, but has anyone used him? I would think that many would be turned off by the 2.5K studfee on a unproven stallion...but what about in Germany?

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Punky, here is an video from last year of the Kaiserkult ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNooPXx74O8

Have one from Nov I just haven't finished it yet, lol

I agree Imperio is interesting. He had only 2 foals from first foal crop, so it was perhaps a little difficult to see. However, I am sure he got something after his wins as a 4 and 5 year old. I just haven't see any. But a super riding stallion for sure! I just love him!
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

You've already mentioned some of my favourites

I have used and retained foals by Tycoon, Herzensdieb and Latimer

On the 'must use soon list' is
    Imperio
    In Flagranti
    Hofrat
    Axis
    Hirtentanz
    Le Rouge
    Connery
    Distelzar

I persueded my boss to buy an Axis filly who I showed very successfully and then persueded her to breed ehr to Connery, so we have the Connery x Axis foal due in April - that should be a corker!
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour