The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

first of all, for all of those who do know who i am let me just clarify that i don't think i want to move stables right now, but i would love to have a second option if anything does arise.

so the rumor is pretty much true that russell frey will be coming to dallas within the next week or two. does anybody know anything about him besides riding for the firestone family? does he do hunters and jumpers? is he known for one better than the other? what kind of teaching style does he use? how does he ride? does anyone know how much board is gonna be? lessons? do you think the barn will fill up fast? etc etc...the more you can tell, the better!

http://community.webshots.com/album/77596390gPKIoJ

first of all, for all of those who do know who i am let me just clarify that i don't think i want to move stables right now, but i would love to have a second option if anything does arise.

so the rumor is pretty much true that russell frey will be coming to dallas within the next week or two. does anybody know anything about him besides riding for the firestone family? does he do hunters and jumpers? is he known for one better than the other? what kind of teaching style does he use? how does he ride? does anyone know how much board is gonna be? lessons? do you think the barn will fill up fast? etc etc...the more you can tell, the better!

I have heard the name and nothing negative.

As he steps into his own business, you need to go visit or at least call to answer your questions.

He seems a talented young pro, that can be the best kind to hook up with...before they get to be big guns. I hooked up with my own trainer almost 10 years ago when she was still just starting out. Now she's a BNT.

Go talk to him. Could be a boost for your own career.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ummmmm, Russell is a BNT!!!!!! He's had his own business for years and has just now moved to a different part of the country.

Russell is talented as both a rider and as a trainer in hunters, jumpers or equitation. He can basically ride any horse well and teach any rider.

I don't know how "young" he is as I remember him & Val Renihan having their business together here in the Chicago area back in the late 80's & early 90's before he went east in the mid-90's. I remember Russell to be nice & have a sense of humor. And that he used to whistle for himself while jumping the last jump on course if it was a good round! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Russell is a very good trainer, rider, coach. He has a great sense of humor and does make riding a lot of fun. He rides very well and has won a great deal on the east coast.
    He runs a first class stable - horses always look great and the barn is as neat as a pin.
    Not only that, he is a great cook !

All the more reason to go visit him.

Better to do fewer lessons with a better trainer then more with a pretender http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I have never heard an evil word against him...so go see him.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Russell Frey is totally first class...and DEFINITELY a BNT!

another question....does he really train you or is he one of those guys that stands in the middle of the ring and says "good job, now jump that one over there (over and over)"? does he emphasize flatwork or are lessons just schooling sessions? (i know...this is a tough question!)

Gosh he's on the move to texas. Wise he'd come back this way cause I would consider training with him... He's a nice guy and trains and rides well.

Just another day!!!
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

I rode with Russell several years ago when he was in Chicago. Great trainer, great rider, great sense of humor! Too bad I don't live in Dallas - I would definitely ride with him if I did.

hmmm....offset....can you tell me anymore...i would love to hear your opinion...you can always pt me if you want!

Willcall, I also rode with Russell when he was in Chicago. He is excellent--top notch trainer! I would highly recommend taking a couple of lessons if you have the opportunity. He also makes excellent courses--you will go to the show VERY prepared.
    Offset--maybe I know you! When were you w/ Russell? PT me if you like.

mopper...i would love to hear more from you as well...you can also pt me if you have the time!

Willcall-sent you a PT.

Does this mean Kim has gone to TX also?

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Tippy, I don't believe that is the plan.

thanks everyone for you input he sounds like a great trainer. i actually took one for the team this morning and went out to his new barn. he hasn't moved in yet, but they are setting up for him as we speak. so for all of you dallas people here is the official news......

russell is coming the first of september to pegasus estates (farm?) off jeter rd (matt cyphert's old barn). kim is not coming with him because they are getting a divorce. dorothy cox is the barn manager/assistant trainer (she was there with matt before the move). they are getting the place completely cleaned up for him and it looks good. however, there seem to be one problem (at least for me).......pricing!

i was able to obtain a price sheet on board and training and here is what it breaks down to....

board $1,000
    full training $600
    lesson (non-boarder) $75

it is assumed that if you board there you will have your horse in full training and full service board (they don't offer any other board or training options on the price sheet).... so the grand total for the month without meds, horse shows, etc is ..... $1,600!!!!!!

i know that may not be alot for a huge bnt, but in this area it doubles what the highest board is now! there is no way i could afford that even if i wanted to move! if you guys want to know anymore about pricing or boarding there i will be happy to forward on the info to you!

to be honest, i have mixed emotions now about him coming. i am afraid that not many people in this area are going to pay those prices. we have many wonderful trainers in the area and they are nowhere near that expensive! something might have to give, but then again, maybe people will pay the money for his reputation! i guess we will find out soon!

[This message was edited by willcall on Aug. 31, 2003 at 04:47 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giddy-up:
    having their business together here in the Chicago area back in the late 80's & early 90's <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    THE TURF CLUB http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

willcall, I like how you talk for all us people in the Dallas area.. Claiming people won't pay those prices.. I know plenty of people in the Dallas area that would pay that. Soo your concern is nice that he might now have clients.. but really he will have plenty, even if you aren't one of them.

I'm sorry your not that happy with Matt, but dont want to pay to ride with Russel.

Think about all the people at lots of trainers barns that want to leave but they simply dont like the other trainers in the area so they stay where they are. I can think of quite a few, that prob have never heard of him but because hes new they will prob move over to his barn because they dont like any of the options they have now.

Speaking for yourself is fine, but talking for the rest of the Dallas horse community is not right.

~Jess~
    www.catchride.com
    Jess