The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I keep reading this thinking, "no, this cannot be."

I saw Babs at Rolex on year but didn't know it was her until later that night, when I was skipping out on the last-fence party and Fairweather called me on my cell phone. Babs took over the phone and we had the biggest laugh after she berated me for not being there.

My heart is breaking.

Robby

high high post post
    i dont brag i mostly boast
    from the VA to da LA coast
    izzy kizzy lizzy go
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I just saw this thread, and am in total disbelief http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

I know she is wearing her tiara and up there helping Dublin and Cactuskate over the fences. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

"Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques"

Oh no. Like so many others I never had the luck to meet her in person and only knew her through the BB. I have met her student "Inverness," though, and know from hearing Inverness talk that she was cherished by her students and friends. My deep condolences to them all.

God rest her soul.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

. . . and here I thought I was all cried out. As you so often told me, Babo; "oh my gawd, wrong again." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Trainer, psychologist, confidante, confessor, drinking buddy, friend. Already, I miss you desperately. Who else could ever have gotten me to wear that hateful hairnet??!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

I still owe you dinner - we'll just postpone it for a while.

[This message was edited by Inverness on Jun. 15, 2003 at 06:24 PM.]

Like many others, I only knew "Kennett Square," I never knew Babs. It sounds like I missed something very, very special.

My condolences to her many friends and of course, her family.

It is especially sad when a "valuable person" passes over the Rainbow Bridge. She'll be there to greet us when we make the journey, and perhaps then I'll have the honor of meeting her face to face.

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
    -Louisa May Alcott
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ljo:
    I've read every post and nobody asked why.
    86 year old's die in their sleep.
    Was poor KS suffering from a terminal illness?
    She was much,much too young to pass away in her sleep.

May she rest in peace and have internet access where she's going. We'll miss her.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She would have been 43 on the 21st of June. She had not been feeling "well" for some time, but she attributed it to many things, like working too hard, etc. She had cut back in the last year, teaching fewer lessons, taking better care of herself.

She'd had surgery for a deviated septum just before Upperville as it was thought that would help with sleep apnea which they had recently diagnosed her with. That went well, and besides the general healing process, she was in good sprits and reported that she was feeling better. But after Upperville (she took the week off work to just hang out there) she was really not feeling well, and Wedsnesday night (the 11th) she canceled most of her lessons and went home before our regular Cavallo Farm dinner group got together. Thursday she saw the doctor and claimed that she was having trouble breathing. The Dr. said it was "just" asthma and sent her home with an inhaler. She called some close friends and said that she was worried and not getting better. On Friday she did not wake up.

That's it. That is the explanation for why/how we have had such a fantastic friend viciously stolen from us when she was supposed to live forever.

Those of us at Cavallo Farm do not have any more information. It does not seem like a reason at all. We do not know whether the family will request an autopsy.

I should add that this is the information that Babs gave to several of us in conversations over the past year, month and week -- It is entirely possible that she did not convey what the doctor actually said, or the cause of why she did not feel well. We are struggling too with this and cannot get our heads around it yet.

Having the real reason won't fill the big empty hole left behind.
    http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by larosa90 on Jun. 15, 2003 at 10:15 PM.]

Those of us who have had the divine pleasure of having known Babs would know:

Regarding fashion--

*that it is always appropriate for a lady to wear pearls. She often taught lessons wearing the string of pearls that she saved up for and picked out very carefully to perfectly match her complexion.

*that tiaras are almost always appropriate, especially if you have golden locks upon which to set said tiara.

*that feather boas are a nice-to-have accessory, but not necessary if the pearls and tiara are in place.

Regarding horse hunting--

*that if you said you wanted an A-quality show hunter ready to go in the ring with auto changes and not grey, not chestnut, not bay, not a mare, between 16.1 and 16.101 hands with no health issues for $1000, she would turn over every rock in 5 states to find you that horse -- and she would find it.

Regarding charity--

*if you had no horse to ride, she would lend you Robert, the real Kennett Square, the love of her life and the most prized possession (after the pearls) she had.

This is just beyond awful. Although I only met her once (at FPP), she was such a nice, fun person. So interesting to talk to & so friendly - whether she knew you or not.

I find these sorts of things so difficult to fathom, & although I am not by nature a litigious person, I can only assume that her family will/must have many, many, many questions for that doctor that saw KS on Thursday & sent her home with just an inhaler. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer-upper".

"just asthma" is so so sad....there was no "just asthma" for Kennett Square...I hope they do question that Doctor, and I am not by nature a litigious person.......but this sounds like such a senseless loss of such a truely loved , important member of our sport. So do I hope those that pass on are privy to the sentiments expressed on these boards!
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

You know folks, I have many unanswered questions about Bab's death, and I really do understand where everyone is coming from. There are questions that should be asked and, hopefully will be.

But, in honor to our dear Kennett Square, may I suggest that we keep this thread clear of anger, and just fill it with the love that we all feel for her, and the sorrow we feel at her loss?

---------------------------
    This too, shall pass.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Agreed Louise.

And really, I'm not angry. Although I'm not a really "religious" person either - I do believe that there is a reason, somewhere, for everything that happens to us.

I do, however, find the whole thing very baffling. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer-upper".

I swear that only the good die young. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

"B***h in training"
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

I dont really think this is the place to be bringing up the doctor she saw and how everything was handled... It needs to be left up to the family on what they do and we dont really need to be making assumptions... Babs wouldn't want that, so lets leave this as a place to remember what a wonderful woman and friend we were all blessed to know and give our respect. thanx.

It's been a few days since I first found out about Babs. I hesitated to post because I'm in such disbelief, I don't know what to say.

I was lucky enough to train with her until about 2 and a half months ago when I decided to take a break.(Nothing to do with her of course, I'm just in HS and want to try other things, just to experience life to the fullest, you know.)

She helped me overcome confidence issues, moved me to more difficult horses, and made me enjoy riding again after about 3 years of not thoroughly enjoying it(I had been with another trainer). I made her eyes bleed frequently, but I remember the times when I would nail a course and a huge smile was plastered on her face.

She was always extremely nice to me and tried to make it possible for me to ride as often as possible (I didn't have my own horse).

I'm not quite sure what to say, but I know she will be missed by many. What a tragic loss to the horse community, and the world in general.

Well Babs, I guess you can watch my "crazy antics" 24/7 now!

Mary

**Mary**

When I didn't have a horse to ride in the VHSA Adult Eq finals a couple of years ago, Babs arranged it with Mike and Marie at Cavallo Farm for me to try several there. Everyone was absolutely delightful. Too bad I couldn't ride worth a hoot that day!

"B***h in training"
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Wow! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif I'm speechless.

I had the pleasure of meeting Babs at FPP as well and found her to be the same in person as on this board...wonderfully friendly and absolutely hysterical.

My thoughts are with her entire "family" now as I am sure that the shock and sadness are unbelievable.

Saturday is my birthday as well. I will certaintly be thinking about her and will raise my glass in her honor.

As Miss Maam says "Mommy isn't always a pain in the a**"
    As Miss Maam says \"Mommy isn\'t always a pain in the a**\"

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I am sorry to just now be paying my respects to Babs, days after this has happened...was away for the weekend and it's my first opportunity to get in front of my computer.

This news got an immediate yelp and tears out of me when I heard it. I've known Babs for nearly 20 years. Whether you've known Babs for 20 years or 20 minutes, what you do know about her is that she always had a great time wherever she was and you would too if you were with her. She was always upbeat and always had something hilarious to say that made you laugh out loud. She, herself, had an infectious laugh and you never even had to know what the joke was...just hearing her laugh made you laugh too.

She and I worked the same side of the street when it came to being 'point whores,' as she called us, and somewhere, there's a picture of she and I wearing our tiaras. I have several pictures of Babs and in every one, she's either beaming from ear to ear or giving a student a reassuring pat.

What a treasure, what an original...she was the real McCoy and was a huge piece of the heart of Cavallo Farm. My deepest, deepest condolences go out to her immediate family but I truly feel for the owners, staff and Bab's extended family at Cavallo farm who have spent years shoulder-to-shoulder thru good times with Babs...with Babs, there were no bad times.

Babs, honey, give a big kiss to my mom for me. I'll have you know I'm typing this message to you with a fractured finger that I got from playing football with my Rower. Since I gave up my Cowboy some time ago, I bequeath him to you. Do you think the SuperJack can fly all the way to heaven? And who will care for Crackerbarrel Barbie now? Lastly, I know you hate my Jack Russells but Dottie was really nice. You'll like her. When she jumps into your lap, give her a pat for me. She's great company. And you, Missy...I'll be having a chat w/you later...

I'd like to close with some Bab-isms and I hope other people will cheer everyone up by adding some of their favorites.

Someone else already said this one but I have to say, it was one of my favorites:
    "OH!!! You're making my eyes bleed!"

The others are:
    "Look at you!! You're running down that line like your hair is on fire!!!"

"Eat a donut."

"My GOD!!! Don't they ever feed you?"

On discussion of food, "I have to keep up my girlish figure."

While we were all whining about the cold, "Of course I'm not cold! I have extra insulation!!!"

"Of course there's room for your skinny little ass. Sit down."

`````````````````````````````````````````
    "I NOW INFORM YOU THAT YOU ARE TOO FAR FROM REALITY."
    Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information

"Life ain't certain...ride your best horse first." Unknown

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Babs was great fun! I only had the pleasure of meeting her a handful of times, and we were planning on meeting up this year for some coaching. I'm sorry she had to leave early. Missed my chance http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Next time I'm with a group of COTH friends, I will personally raise toast with a glass of Absolute and cranberry juice to her. And I know everyone will join me.

Edited to add, Heck....in honor of Babs spirit..why wait? I'm having an Absolute & cranberry juice now! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

Mel

[This message was edited by SaddleFitterVA on Jun. 15, 2003 at 11:00 PM.]

Bravo!

I never met "KS" but I wanted too. Her genuine affection for her students and the wonderful relationships you all shared with her shone loud and clear on this BB, and simply from her postings here I had tremendous respect for her both as a horsewoman and a person. I think she would be very proud to read many of the articulate and loving posts on this thread from her students, for whom she obviously cared deeply.

I am so sorry http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif