The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    CavalloFarm Guest

Cavallo Farm and its friends are saddened to report that their good friend Barbara Meegan passed away in her sleep this morning.

A lifelong Virginian, Babs grew up in the Northern Virginia area and trained with Peter Foley and Dale Crittenberger of Woodhall. She also apprenticed with Tony Workman. She's taught many riders in the area including VHSA champions in pony eq, pony hunters, and adult hunters. She was a VHSA associate representative and an advocate for the Associate Horse Show program. She joined the Cavallo Farm family in 1996 and has been our dear friend ever since.

Details about the funeral arrangement are still being made and we will post them when we know more.

All BB friends please feel free to share your memories.

Babs' Cavallo Trainer Bio

[This message was edited by CavalloFam on Jun. 13, 2003 at 08:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 13, 2003 at 10:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 13, 2003 at 11:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 14, 2003 at 09:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 16, 2003 at 05:46 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 28, 2003 at 05:32 PM.]

CavalloFarm Guest

Cavallo Farm and its friends are saddened to report that their good friend Barbara Meegan passed away in her sleep this morning.

A lifelong Virginian, Babs grew up in the Northern Virginia area and trained with Peter Foley and Dale Crittenberger of Woodhall. She also apprenticed with Tony Workman. She's taught many riders in the area including VHSA champions in pony eq, pony hunters, and adult hunters. She was a VHSA associate representative and an advocate for the Associate Horse Show program. She joined the Cavallo Farm family in 1996 and has been our dear friend ever since.

Details about the funeral arrangement are still being made and we will post them when we know more.

All BB friends please feel free to share your memories.

Babs' Cavallo Trainer Bio

[This message was edited by CavalloFam on Jun. 13, 2003 at 08:43 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 13, 2003 at 10:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 13, 2003 at 11:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 14, 2003 at 09:54 PM.]

[This message was edited by CavalloFarm on Jun. 16, 2003 at 05:46 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erin on Jun. 28, 2003 at 05:32 PM.]

Deep space - corner of no and where (aka Texas)

I am so sorry to hear this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and her family.

He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant and she was the East River.

Book: If you take advantage of her, you\'re going to burn in a very special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. Firefly

I only recently met Babs, but I offer my sincerest sympathies to all who knew and loved her.

She can join CactusKate and Dublin and together the three of them can raise all kinds of hell

"No time to marry, no time to settle down. I'm a young woman and I ain't done runnin' around." - Bessie Smith

So sorry to hear it. I never had the pleasure of meeting her, but feel as if I have lost a friend in Kennett Square. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

One of my dearest friends, I have so many fond memories I wouldn't know where to start...

Thanks to all of you who called me tonight to offer your support.

All of us will miss her terribly....

mizzwade
    mizzwade

Indeed we have all lost a very good friend today. Too many tears to write more.

Larosa

I'm extremely sorry. I didn't know her, but a friend of mine rode with her. She also had very nice things to say about her and it seemed like she thought the world of her.

R.I.P.

OMG!!! babs!! i had no idea! i am sooo sorry! i'm really going to miss her. when i rode with cavallo one summer she was so kind to me. so friendly and welcomed me with open arms. we used to swap stories about when she used to ride and show.

you were loved by all. we'll miss you!!!!

I'm so sorry! I never met her, but REALLY enjoyed our friendly bidding war in the Auction for Aiden...she had a great sense of humor from what I could tell, and since we were always bidding on the same items...she must have http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif been a kindred spirit!!

2003...the year to bloom!!
    Come alive in 2005!

There's this huge part of me that's completely baffled.

How can lively, lovely, spirited Babs not be with us? How is it that I saw her just over a year ago - and she's no no longer with us? Ugh!!!!

I am completely confused and distraught. And then, I'm utterly sad. How many damned deaths do we need to contend with? Aren't our cyber friends supposed to be immortal? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Please, someone fill us in. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I never met her, but I'll always remember her from the Virginia clique joking about her fondness for Absolut and Cranberry juice.

She truly was memorable.

Thread killer Extraordinaire
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

So sad. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/cry.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

If Walmart is lowering prices every day,
    how come nothing is free yet?

Help control the pet population- Spay and Neuter your pets!

Oh noooooo

That is so sad....I am so sorry......she will be dearly missed.....

>^.,.^<
    ~~Linda

*~Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.*~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I am so sorry to hear this. Babs was a great person who always made everyone around her laugh.

There's a lot less laughter in the world today. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

My grief cannot be adequately put into words.

I heard this just this evening as I was recalling the conversation I had last Friday when darling Babs called to apologize for missing me at Upperville.

There are no words to describe the wonderous amount of joy she brought into my life. I have jealously missed every moment that I didn't have with her between the times we got together at Cavallo, Frying Pan, Culpeper, Upperville and group outings.

I didn't realize that those moments would be cut off forever.

Babs was truly a fabulous and generous person. There can be no replacement. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I don't know what to say...Babs has the distinction of being the very first BBerI met in person last year.

Enjoy the rides up there Babs! Jump high and fast.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

I have to say that I have lost one of my biggest mentors, huge supporter, and if nothing else one of my true great friends. I recently moved on to ride with another barn, but the 5 years I rode with babs were the best of life. I cant say how much I appreciate everything she ever did for me. She looked for pony after pony.. she came to every show, and she taught me more then I would have learned anywhere else. I will always remember all the great times I had with her.. outside the ring and and in and everything I learned from her. I will always remember our jokes together and treasure them and she will always be the one I think of when I think about starting out in the sport. She brought so much joy to my life and I am so glad to have known such a woman. Words could never explain how I feel about this loss... it seems so unreal. I am so glad to have known such a wonderful woman who was a true class act and to have really found my way in the riding world under her guidance. She will never be replaced and she holds a special place in my heart.
    Maggie

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Having had the pleasure of "knowing" her only through her insightful, funny, engaging posts here on the BB, I can't imagine how bereft those who knew her in real life must be feeling over her passing.

God speed, Kennett Square. You will be supremely missed.

***Dear Sam: All Mr. Beezer really wants for Father's Day is for you to give Beezer FLYING LEAD CHANGES!!*** http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

How awful. I only knew her as "Kennett Square" but she always was engaging and entertaining on the bb. Clearly she was much loved and will be missed in Virginia and Cyberspace.

Resident racing historian
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique