The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please help me decipher Cortisol numbers on blood test

Before I begin, let me say that I've faxed the blood test results I'm describing below to another vet for a second opinion but while waiting to hear from him, I'm hoping to get some help here!

I had blood work done on my 22-year-old TB gelding because he was showing some symptoms of Cushing's. Blood test results came in and my vet said all was "fine." He faxed me the results and I questioned the Cortisol number, which to me -- and my uneducated eye - seemed high. He said that number was nothing to worry about.

I understand that different labs might report numbers in a different form so maybe the numbers I'm talking about here won't mean anything to people. I also went to the Equine Cushing's site (I'm a member) and despite wading through lots & lots of files, I couldn't find a magical file titled "Normal Numbers" or "Range of Numbers" (and yes, I'm joking about the titles but I really couldn't find anything specific).

Benjamin's "Cortisol by RIA" number was 6.5. The Reference range was 1.0-4.6 ug/dL. The Flag was "H" (I'm thinking that means High?) and on the accompanying bar graph, it was at the very end.

To those of you who know about this stuff, is that number simply a mildly elevated number or something indicating a pre-cushing's problem or ?????

His two thyroid panel numbers were 56 (for the T3 by RIA (range is 40-105) and1.6 for T4 (range is 1-3,5).

His insulin number was 83; the reference range was <=300

Thanks for your help!
    "It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Anyone??? The second vet is out of town so I won't hear back till next week ....
    "It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Well, it's above the reference range, so that means it's elevated, no? Not sure how a vet says that's fine but hopefully others might chime in here.

I don't think my vet uses the same lab (you are in CA so that makes sense).

But an elevated cortisol is certainly something to be concerned about, as cortisol is a big player in laminitis and insulin resistance. Good on you for catching it. I'd just start researching what an elevated cortisol level means.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.