The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is this reasonable (retreating +ve culture)

Wondering if anyone else would do this?-

My mare came back with a +ve culture late on in the season, I treated, rebred but never recultured (as it was too late to breed again), mare didn't take.

My question is, I am tempted to retreat then culture rather the culture then possible retreat then culture again, to save $....any pro's or con's to this?

thanks
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Personally, I wouldn't be treating with antibiotics unless I know exactly what I'm treating.

If you're trying to save money (and who isn't these days!), have your vet pull the cytology and culture and if the cyt looks good, don't run the culture.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't be treating with antibiotics unless I know exactly what I'm treating.

If you're trying to save money (and who isn't these days!), have your vet pull the cytology and culture and if the cyt looks good, don't run the culture.

Good luck!
    Early stages of pseudomonas can have a clean cytology - not something I would want to mess with.

Definitely do not treat without doing a culture AND cytology. You can cause huge problems where there may be none.

Sorry should have said she did have cyt and culture done last summer so I was going to retreat for the same bacteria that was found in the positive culture in case it was all cleared up.
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

It is not a good idea to treat w/out re-culturing. You only want to use antibiotics when you absolutely have to. In fact, using antibiotics makes a mare more susceptible to a uterine yeast infection and that is a nasty, nasty situation you want to stay away from. Yeast infections can be difficult to clear up (sometimes impossible) and you will spend far more money if that happens.
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Early stages of pseudomonas can have a clean cytology - not something I would want to mess with.
    Good to know! Thanks for the tip!

Glad I asked then, I will restest her

Thanks for the info.