The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First time horse buyer {VA/MD people please!}

First off, I am new to COTH. I have been browsing the forums for a while, and finally decided it was time to get an account.

Second of all, I was looking for some advice from some experienced horse buyers. I would rather not post the details of the situation, or the horse here because of the possibility that those involved could be identified. However, I really would like some advice when it comes to this. If at all possible, you could PM me saying that you could help me out, that would be great. Again, it is really nothing bad, I would just feel more comfortable via PM or email in this particular situation.

I'm sorry for clogging the boards, however I am new and figured it wouldn't that great to PM random people willy-nilly!

I suppose it really doesn't have to be just MD/VA people. Anyone who is an experienced horse buyer. I just thought since that is my area, I might be able to get specifics.

Thanks again. :]

Check your inbox!

Feel free to PM me. We live in Northern VA. I know more about eventing horses and pony club horses than jumpers, but many of the basics are the same across the disciplines.

A few of my usual suggestions are as follows: Get a good vetting. We like to get a board certified surgeon with a lot of lameness experience to do our vettings. This may be more extensive than is necessary but we really like to know about any potential problems before we own the horse.

Try the horse out on several occasions to be sure you and the horse are well suited to each other. A horse can be beautiful, sound and athletic, but not the right horse for you or your family. I always like to get the opinion of two trainers before I allow myself to trust my judgement about whether or not this is "Mr. Right Horse."

Plan on getting lots of lessons in the initial 2 months after you buy. This will help you and the horse bond and work through any problems.

Thanks for all your help guys. [both who posted and PMed.] I really appreciate it and it seems like you all came to the same conclusion, which must mean you all know what you are talking about!
    So thanks again. I can keep you updated if you would like.

And i'm sorry for the strange request.

Default Strange Request

From a Seller and Buyer perspective...know your price range, allow for vetting (up to $2K0 and shipping costs.

Set aside what you intend to spend max and keep extra's $$ like new rugs, halters and tack seperate.

Most sellers no longer allow off site trials, but will ship to your trainer or a off site 1X place to try.

3 visits to the same horse is MORE than enough and if you can't make up your mind Move onto another horse. It holds up the seller and is frustrating.

Don't drag every Tom Dick n Jane out and think it takes a village to help you make up your mind...its your money and will be YOUR horse. A good trainer, best friend and Vet should suffice.

Do be on time, do call to cancell timely, Do get it vetted and ask all those questions even if you think they are silly. This is a living breathing animal w/ a brain you will have to live with.

Enjoy the process and if your gut says YES go w/ it.